Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Like Tree29Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th September 2011, 01:29 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Question SHAM202/035 - Four Flies on Grey Velvet: Shameless has a question!

Shameless are preparing to start the authoring process on Four Flies on Grey Velvet and have a question they'd like to put to Cult Labs members.

They have several short sequences which are damaged (VHS quality to look at) and so have been removed from the HD master.

Shameless want to know would you like to see these sequences reinstated so that you can see the film in its entirety, even though the PQ will occasionally vary?

Or would you like them to be left out so that the film is entirely in glorious HD, with no varying PQ, but have these sequences included as "missing scenes" in the extras?

I'm asking for comments rather than a straightforward poll vote so that Shameless can see your opinions on this rather than just numbers.
Old 27th September 2011, 01:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Depends on what it is - if it's minor ends and beginnings to scenes then it would probably be better to leave them as extras.

Is there no way a branching version can be made? It's the obvious choice as it would please everyone but I have no idea what the financial ranifications would be...
Old 27th September 2011, 01:48 PM
Cult Acolyte

Personally I'd prefer to have them as 'missing scenes' in the extras. I found the massive jump in quality really distracting when they did it on the old releases of The Wicker Man and Witchfinder General. But then, as Paul says, it depends what the scenes are . . .
Old 27th September 2011, 01:59 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Same as has been said so far - offer film with or without scenes via branching. If that's not an option then, assuming the scenes are part of the film as established and not newly found scenes I'd probably want them retained regardless of quality. Would be a bit odd to have a shorter version of the film released.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:06 PM
Active Cultist

+1 for Branching
I would like to see them as extras but thats just personal preference,Vhs inserts look bad enough on a dvd(eg Absurd) let alone a blu,
Old 27th September 2011, 02:07 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

It was done with Baba Yaga for example, so I would have no problem with the scenes being in the "polished" final print.

After all, it was Argento's intended vision regardlessly of quaility

Given the modern technologies, too many people these days fuss about the sharpness of the sound and quality of the picture and forget what made the film great in the first place.......
Old 27th September 2011, 02:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedorca View Post
Given the modern technologies, too many people these days fuss about the sharpness of the sound and quality of the picture and forget what made the film great in the first place.......
That's all well and good, but I think it would be more than a minor distraction for the film to suddenly jump from BD to VHS quality. I'd rather see it all in VHS than that, but that's just me . . .
Old 27th September 2011, 02:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

you cant please every one but personaly if its not to much of a distraction id rather it be seen in full...lets face it if you didnt without asking then you get some one whinging its not uncut you just cant please every one....also depends what exactly the scenes are if its just a few seconds or min clips of nowt much eg a conversatin that realy doesnt mean to much and wont spoil the film if its missing then leave it out..
Old 27th September 2011, 02:53 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

as previously stated if the scenes are not detracting anything from the actual story, as extras.

BUT

if they add overall to the film PLEASE include. could care less about drop in quality. (im an Ed Wood fan hahahaha so this is not a problem for me...)
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 27th September 2011, 02:53 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I'm another for branching..

I'd probably end up watching without the scenes if they're minor but there might be some who boycott for it's 'incompleteness'..
Closed Thread

Like this? Share it using the links below!