Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Poll: Best Argento maestro?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Poll Options
Best Argento maestro?

Like Tree61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th May 2017, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict

Same sort of thing happened to me on Thursday strangely enough.
I was at a gig in Brighton and went outside for a fag, was talking to some bloke and his phone ringtone went off.
It was the nursery rhyme style theme from Deep Red, so i goes thats Goblin innit and we ended up talking about Dario Argento films n stuff.
Bloke seemed really chuffed that someone else recognised the music.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th May 2017, 12:55 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I just associate Goblin with Argento.
The EM stuff is more "classic" film score music
Whereas Goblin just batter you senseless.
Rik and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 3rd June 2017, 03:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Just watched a Goblin - Live In Texas blu-ray of a 2014 concert. This is only available from the official Goblin site. Am sad to report that it is a BD-R, rather disappointing considering just how pricey it was (cost 31 pounds including shipping).

The blu-ray has made an unfortunate decision to edit in video clips from films - which I'm not a fan of. I prefer film clips appearing via live backdrops only and to see the band as is. Plus weirdly, it plays numerous Phenomena clips during a song from studio album Roller!

Highlights of Texas are E Suono Rock and almost jazzy renditions of Non Ho Sonno and Zombi. To be honest would only recommend to hardcore fans only. On the other hand, I would thoroughly recommend the Italian Goblin Rebirth dvd to everyone.

The Goblin Rebirth dvd was also released only last year despite featuring a 2011 gig. Highlights are Death Dies, La Chiesa, Goblin and L'Alba dei Morti Viventi. Despite only featuring 2 original Goblin members (Pignatelli and Marangolo), it is an excellent concert.

The Rebirth band is accompanied by a video screen showing clips from films (Martin is shown during Roller tracks as that studio album was used in the Italian version of the Romero film).

I also own a Simonetti's Daemonia - live in Los Angeles dvd which is fairly decent but not amazing. That is also surpassed by the Goblin Rebirth dvd. Links for ordering the best gig of the three I've mentioned (in case anyone is interested):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Alive-DVD-G...in+Rebirth+dvd

https://www.amazon.it/Goblin-Rebirth...in+Rebirth+dvd
Old 3rd June 2017, 04:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I like both versions of Goblin, but personally prefer Claudio Simonetti's Goblin, which is pretty much Daemonia anyway
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 3rd June 2017, 10:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've seen Simonetti's Daemonia once at the London Marquee back in 2005.

They were supported by two other bands: Electric Wizard and Cadaveria. Got to meet Simonetti afterwards and get a high quality Daemonia flyer autographed (which I keep in a frame). Simonetti was very nice and polite which was kind of him as I was pretty damn wasted.

The venue was packed at first but as the band didn't come on till midnight (!) most people had left as they wanted to catch the last bits of public transport home. They ended up playing to rather a small audience which was a great shame.

Cost me and a friend over 100 pounds to get a taxi back to his flat in Surrey so was not a cheap gig. Luckily my work income was quite healthy back in those days.
Rik, Demoncrat, keirarts and 1 others like this.
Old 3rd June 2017, 11:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Bit of further information in addition to my prior post. Would have loved to have seen "Simonetti's Goblin" on their 2014 UK dates but sadly couldn't attend.

Two reasons: couldn't really afford it and my health wasn't very good at the time (I do suffer from schizophrenia and nowadays, am actually on fortnightly injections to keep me in check).

But hopefully, the very next time Simonetti's outfit tours the UK, I will be able to attend.
keirarts likes this.
Old 4th June 2017, 08:44 PM
Cultist

Has anyone heard the Goblin Rebirth album?
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 5th June 2017, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
Has anyone heard the Goblin Rebirth album?
Still haven't gotten around to picking it up (same with Four of a Kind). However I have heard two Goblin Rebirth studio tracks - Requiem For X and Forest, both of which are currently on YouTube. Both tracks are excellent, especially Forest which is quite beautiful:

zeroid and keirarts like this.

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 5th June 2017 at 02:54 PM.
Old 5th June 2017, 10:08 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Still haven't gotten around to picking it up (same with Four of a Kind). However I have heard two Goblin Rebirth studio tracks - Requiem For X and Forest, both of which are currently on YouTube. Both tracks are excellent, especially Forest which is quite beautiful:

Thanks.
It's weird because with everything almost always being available to see/hear in some form on the web, I don't really blind buy much stuff anymore, but I watched a few live vids on YT of Goblin Rebirth doing old stuff and loved it, so I think I'll get it next week when I get paid. Hmm, cd or LP....?
SymbioticFunction likes this.
Old 5th June 2017, 11:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroid View Post
Hmm, cd or LP....?
Just ordered the cd myself. Was just over 8 pounds which isn't too bad a price at all. I should imagine that an LP would be quite a bit more expensive.

Have been meaning to pick it up for a while but hadn't gotten around to it. Your post reminded me of that.
zeroid likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!