Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Four Flies on Grey Velvet (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Four Flies On Grey Velvet: Reviews (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/four-flies-grey-velvet/7746-four-flies-grey-velvet-reviews.html)

doolahrock 2nd February 2012 02:19 PM

Mine just arrived. Had a quick look at it mainly because the disc was rattling around inside the box when it arrived :mmph:

First impressions are that it looks very good indeed. As previously mentioned, no real fine detail but I wasn't really expecting much due to the age of the film. I'll need to wait to reserve full judgement until I can see it without any intruding daylight at all on the projector.....those black out blinds are good but they aint perfect.

PaulD 3rd February 2012 01:18 PM

Land of Whimsy review

More just a bunch of thoughts and comments on the release than a review but it gets a good write-up

Wilson Bros 3rd February 2012 03:40 PM

Another review

It's rather lengthy, but should answer any questions potential purchasers might have about it.

Review: Four Flies on Grey Velvet (UK - BD RB) - DVDActive

THE WILSON BROS

doolahrock 3rd February 2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 213854)
Land of Whimsy review

More just a bunch of thoughts and comments on the release than a review but it gets a good write-up

I would agree with most of that after watching it all the way through. That unfortunately also applies to the eardrum busting cracks and pops described in that review. The audio is largely utterly magnificent but the glitches are a bugger and had me checking the speakers for a loose connection or something. It really takes you out of the film I'm afraid. Interesting to hear that the Italian audio is free from this.

But overall an absolutely brilliant release for this film. Would be interesting to hear what Shameless have to say about the audio oddities though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2012 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Bros (Post 213873)
It's rather lengthy, but should answer any questions potential purchasers might have about it.

Review: Four Flies on Grey Velvet (UK - BD RB) - DVDActive

THE WILSON BROS

Great review as always guys. :clap:

I loved your summing up so much, I thought I'd post it here - hope you don't mind:

Quote:

There will be many who will watch Four Flies on Grey Velvet and wonder what all the fuss was about. These people are called “plebeians”. They are will have been weaned on modern thrillers, with lightning-fast editing, stunt-casting and post-ironic humour so as to make them more palatable, with anything released prior to the advent of DVD lost on them anyway. To the rest of us, the wait is finally over, and the full beauty of Argento’s “lost” giallo can be seen in a way which the faithful could never have imagined. What with it being 2012 and the release of one of the most cherished of unreleased Italian horror genre, the outlook for mankind in somewhat bleak. The Four Flies of the Apocalypse are upon us. It’s the end of the world as we know it, but finally watching Argento’s most unloved thriller on Blu-ray, we feel fine.

Viva Argento.

Viva Shameless.
Whilst you're right about FFOGV generally going 'unloved', it's actually my favourite of the 'Animal Trilogy', and my favourite Argento film after Tenebrae and Suspiria.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2012 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doolahrock (Post 213882)
I would agree with most of that after watching it all the way through. That unfortunately also applies to the eardrum busting cracks and pops described in that review. The audio is largely utterly magnificent but the glitches are a bugger and had me checking the speakers for a loose connection or something. It really takes you out of the film I'm afraid. Interesting to hear that the Italian audio is free from this.

But overall an absolutely brilliant release for this film. Would be interesting to hear what Shameless have to say about the audio oddities though.

There was in issue on the Italian BD of Dellamorte Dellamore too, where at one point there was a weird noise on the English track while the Italian track was unaffected. Even though it was only a couple of seconds, it spoiled the disc for me.

Rassilon 4th February 2012 03:53 PM

18 pound in store at hmv, so will defo buy it online. Not a film I want to miss. Saw Phenomena for the first time ever (yeah always miss a few first time round), and it blew me away. How 4FOGV does the same.

mlink73 5th February 2012 03:55 PM

Hope my copy arrives tomorrow, can't wait to finally see it in glorious HD. The Retro DVD will probably be in the bin the minute the Shameless discs arrives....:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th February 2012 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlink73 (Post 214361)
Hope my copy arrives tomorrow, can't wait to finally see it in glorious HD. The Retro DVD will probably be in the bin the minute the Shameless discs arrives....:)

I'm still keeping my Retro DVD (I'm a bit of a sucker for hardboxes) - although my MYA version went on eBay a while ago!

Gojirosan 5th February 2012 08:56 PM

I've always thought FFOGV was the least of the "Not Really A Trilogy" Trilogy, and generally quite mediocre within Argento's oeuvre (totally amazing opening sequence aside!) and I can't wait to see the BD to see if a decent representation bumps it up in my estimation.

My copy is taking its time arriving though! To quote "The Littlest Hobo", maybe tomorrow...