Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Four Flies on Grey Velvet

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2012, 08:38 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Hi all,

Just to let you know, Shameless are looking into this.

It's personal passion for these films, not amazing business opportunities, that drive these releases and, as such, Shameless really do care about this but it takes time for them to get any answers.

As soon as Shameless do get answers they'll tell me and I'll tell you... Promise!

Sent from my HTC Tattoo using Tapatalk
Old 20th February 2012, 04:49 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
WHAT?

Thanks, Sarah!
Old 20th February 2012, 08:46 AM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasteropod View Post
The extended cut' is the theatrical version, those extra bits are only missing from the remaster because of reel damage.
Thanks for the clarification. As I said, it's been ages since I last saw Four Flies on Grey Velvet and haven't done any research yet, so it was almost like watching the film for the first time.
Old 20th February 2012, 08:50 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Hi all,

Just to let you know, Shameless are looking into this.

It's personal passion for these films, not amazing business opportunities, that drive these releases and, as such, Shameless really do care about this but it takes time for them to get any answers.

As soon as Shameless do get answers they'll tell me and I'll tell you... Promise!
Thanks for letting us know, Sarah.
Old 20th February 2012, 11:58 PM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Gav.76
Default Four Flies - minor defect on disc anyone?

Anyone else find the trailers for Cemetary Man and Cannibal Holocaust are without audio??

Not a big issue for me, but just thought I'd mention

Gav
Old 21st February 2012, 12:03 AM
Seasoned Cultist

No audio at all? My BD played them fine...
Old 21st February 2012, 12:13 AM
Cult Rookie

Send a message via MSN to Gav.76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobral View Post
No audio at all? My BD played them fine...
Ahh, okay, must be my BD, I should probably update the firmware or whatever it's called. It's only the 2 trailers - the movie's perfect so all's good Just thought I'd mention...
iluvdvds@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 21st February 2012, 07:11 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav.76 View Post
Ahh, okay, must be my BD, I should probably update the firmware or whatever it's called. It's only the 2 trailers - the movie's perfect so all's good Just thought I'd mention...
That's indeed the first thing to do whenever you encounter any playback problems!

Greetings!
Old 27th February 2012, 12:22 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Shameless have thoroughly investigated the above audio problems with their authoring house and have now released the following statement:

Quote:
Shameless has investigated the alleged audio defect which had been reported by a few people. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

This is what we did:

We reviewed the issue with our authoring house which in any event always do a complete technical quality check of all output before releasing the assets for mastering and replication.

The original 4 track magnetic sound of 4 FLIES is being made available on the Shameless release for the first time since the film’s original theatrical opening in the 1970s – therefore the track is from a 40 years old (analogue) support, which was transferred with as little digital treatment as possible in order to keep to the purity of that original audio. The lab stated: “Essentially all (audio) are as source, nothing has been introduced. Due to the age of the material we wouldn't ... fail it because of these audio faults and in all instances they're fairly brief.”

We ourselves tested the discs on half a dozen different players and we asked friends to do same on their players. We've had a good listen & noted that each player delivers slightly different rendering (in the same manner that different players and even different firmware can each read and display a disc in a slightly different manner).

The areas which have been reported were for the most part only audible after careful scrutiny, however we did note that on mid-to-high end home cinema systems the audio glitch itself gets very amplified and therefore very noticeable (the glitch is not a harmonious signal and just gets amplified raw through the amp and sounds very loud).

We apologise if the audio glitches towards the end might be noticeable when played on some players/audio system but we can assure you that the discs per se are not faulty. And as can be gleaned from reviews at large both in print and on the web, both the Blu-ray and DVD releases have received positive reviews in regards to the film and its visual and audio re-mastering which reflect the genuine efforts we make to try and bring you the best results from often highly difficult materials to work with.

Shameless Screen Ent.
Old 27th February 2012, 12:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

If different players give a different rendering of the glitches, that shows that it's not part of the analogue audio damage, but actually digital.
Steel76 likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!