Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Four Flies on Grey Velvet (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Four Flies On Grey Velvet: Reviews (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/four-flies-grey-velvet/7746-four-flies-grey-velvet-reviews.html)

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 24th January 2012 10:52 AM

Four Flies On Grey Velvet: Reviews

As there's only a few days left until this release is due out, here's a thread dedicated to any reviews of this DVD/Blu-Ray to give you an even better idea of this before parting with your well earned cash. From your reviews, to reviews around the web.

So, if you find one, come and share it on here with us!

----------------------------------------------------

Four Flies On Grey Velvet is out on the 30th January and can be pre-ordered from Amazon on either DVD or Blu-Ray.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 06:28 PM

STRANGE THINGS ARE HAPPENING: FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET DVD REVIEW

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 211649)

An excellent review! :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 06:37 PM

It was.Wasn't it?:cool:

PaulD 25th January 2012 06:40 PM

"More significant are the snippets during the climax when the soundtrack switches to Italian with English subtitles – a little jarring perhaps, but the information here does have some importance and you have to wonder why it was edited out of the English language print to begin with."

Has that always been the case? Or will this only be in the extended version option?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 06:44 PM

Four Flies On Grey Velvet review | TotalFilm.com

Paul@TheOverlook 25th January 2012 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 211666)

Jamie Russell is the TF horror expert but only three stars?

FOUR FLIES is definitely a grower. I've probably seen it four or five times now and the last time (via the Mya disc) was the most I've enjoyed it - it's a top-drawer giallo. It's not Argento's best but I thing it's a solid four star film.

Mine shipped from HMV today. Can't wait. :cool:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 08:45 PM

Yeah I was surprised at JR on that one.

I prefer Flies to Bird,but reckon Cat tops those two!

The mask in FFOGV is quite eerie-not quite up there with Myers,but high on the scale IMO.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 211761)

The mask in FFOGV is quite eerie-not quite up there with Myers,but high on the scale IMO.

And the ending...what an ending it is! :faint:

Paul@TheOverlook 25th January 2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 211761)

I prefer BIRD to FLIES but FLIES to CAT! Sorry to say that CAT Is definitely my least favourite of the three from the 'Animal' trilogy. That said I've not seen it in a good while and am plannign to revisit it via the Blu-ray at some point soon.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th January 2012 09:57 PM

Any one of the BD's look fantastic mate!

Karl Malden was excellent in this I thought.:nod:

Paul@TheOverlook 25th January 2012 10:11 PM

I have the Arrow disc. Will give it a spin soon.

Hawkmonger 26th January 2012 03:08 PM

Cat is much more enjoyable on second and third viewings. You stop comparing it to other Argento movies (in particular Bird and Flies) and just take it for what it is. A surprisingly good and fulfilling crime driller with one or too genuinely laugh out loud moments (the old paprika in the chase scene always puts a grin on my face).
Must say, I have only seen a bootleg and seemingly highly chopped up version if flies. The famous knife view kill sequence was completely absent.
As such I'm vet much looking forward to Shameless doing an excellent job on it (please don't let that compliment go stale Shameless!).

Baseball Fury 30th January 2012 01:00 PM

I was a bit disappointed with this release to be honest. I thought, considering its reputation, it would've had a booklet or something with it. A small niggle, I know, but considering the price, it felt like a weak package compared to an Arrow or Masters of Cinema release.

Legend 30th January 2012 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 212962)
I was a bit disappointed with this release to be honest. I thought, considering its reputation, it would've had a booklet or something with it. A small niggle, I know, but considering the price, it felt like a weak package compared to an Arrow or Masters of Cinema release.

Normally Amazon price Shameless blus at £12. Well, I say normally, there isn't much to go on yet but the previous two were both £12. £15 is a bit much, I never expect a package to be as good as a Masters of Cinema release though, regardless of price.

doolahrock 30th January 2012 10:36 PM

If it's accurate that Shameless have sourced and scanned a print themselves, then i have no problem paying £15 for the disc. Have to presume they have done a good job of the scan and any restoration work but can't say until my disc arrives. Sure as hell beats taking what you get master wise from Italy going by some of the Arrow stuff.

damek 31st January 2012 10:01 AM

Got my BD today. Will watch it tonight I guess.

Paul@TheOverlook 31st January 2012 10:35 AM

I returned home yesterday to find my copy had arrived from HMV - I gave the disc a quick spin last night and first impressions are very good. Certainly a lot better than any of the other versions I have owned previously.

sjconstable 31st January 2012 01:20 PM

I've just watched mine, whilst it's the best the film has ever looked on home release, there isn't really any fine detail, and it's a shame that it's only the English dub that got remastered. But thankfully nothing to impair one's viewing pleasure, unlike certain other Argento Blu-rays, and I was glad to finally be able to watch it in Italian.

EvilFactor 31st January 2012 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doolahrock (Post 213143)
If it's accurate that Shameless have sourced and scanned a print themselves, then i have no problem paying £15 for the disc. Have to presume they have done a good job of the scan and any restoration work but can't say until my disc arrives. Sure as hell beats taking what you get master wise from Italy going by some of the Arrow stuff.

Haven't seen it yet, but the word going around is that the transfer's the same one the Mya disc was downrezzed from, but apparently it looks magnificent in HD, and with all the extra work to clean up the soundtrack, include all the trims, etc. the disc is easily worth your money.

doolahrock 2nd February 2012 01:19 PM

Mine just arrived. Had a quick look at it mainly because the disc was rattling around inside the box when it arrived :mmph:

First impressions are that it looks very good indeed. As previously mentioned, no real fine detail but I wasn't really expecting much due to the age of the film. I'll need to wait to reserve full judgement until I can see it without any intruding daylight at all on the projector.....those black out blinds are good but they aint perfect.

PaulD 3rd February 2012 12:18 PM

Land of Whimsy review

More just a bunch of thoughts and comments on the release than a review but it gets a good write-up

Wilson Bros 3rd February 2012 02:40 PM

Another review

It's rather lengthy, but should answer any questions potential purchasers might have about it.

Review: Four Flies on Grey Velvet (UK - BD RB) - DVDActive

THE WILSON BROS

doolahrock 3rd February 2012 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 213854)
Land of Whimsy review

More just a bunch of thoughts and comments on the release than a review but it gets a good write-up

I would agree with most of that after watching it all the way through. That unfortunately also applies to the eardrum busting cracks and pops described in that review. The audio is largely utterly magnificent but the glitches are a bugger and had me checking the speakers for a loose connection or something. It really takes you out of the film I'm afraid. Interesting to hear that the Italian audio is free from this.

But overall an absolutely brilliant release for this film. Would be interesting to hear what Shameless have to say about the audio oddities though.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2012 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson Bros (Post 213873)
It's rather lengthy, but should answer any questions potential purchasers might have about it.

Review: Four Flies on Grey Velvet (UK - BD RB) - DVDActive

THE WILSON BROS

Great review as always guys. :clap:

I loved your summing up so much, I thought I'd post it here - hope you don't mind:

Quote:

There will be many who will watch Four Flies on Grey Velvet and wonder what all the fuss was about. These people are called “plebeians”. They are will have been weaned on modern thrillers, with lightning-fast editing, stunt-casting and post-ironic humour so as to make them more palatable, with anything released prior to the advent of DVD lost on them anyway. To the rest of us, the wait is finally over, and the full beauty of Argento’s “lost” giallo can be seen in a way which the faithful could never have imagined. What with it being 2012 and the release of one of the most cherished of unreleased Italian horror genre, the outlook for mankind in somewhat bleak. The Four Flies of the Apocalypse are upon us. It’s the end of the world as we know it, but finally watching Argento’s most unloved thriller on Blu-ray, we feel fine.

Viva Argento.

Viva Shameless.
Whilst you're right about FFOGV generally going 'unloved', it's actually my favourite of the 'Animal Trilogy', and my favourite Argento film after Tenebrae and Suspiria.

Stephen@Cult Labs 3rd February 2012 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doolahrock (Post 213882)
I would agree with most of that after watching it all the way through. That unfortunately also applies to the eardrum busting cracks and pops described in that review. The audio is largely utterly magnificent but the glitches are a bugger and had me checking the speakers for a loose connection or something. It really takes you out of the film I'm afraid. Interesting to hear that the Italian audio is free from this.

But overall an absolutely brilliant release for this film. Would be interesting to hear what Shameless have to say about the audio oddities though.

There was in issue on the Italian BD of Dellamorte Dellamore too, where at one point there was a weird noise on the English track while the Italian track was unaffected. Even though it was only a couple of seconds, it spoiled the disc for me.

Rassilon 4th February 2012 02:53 PM

18 pound in store at hmv, so will defo buy it online. Not a film I want to miss. Saw Phenomena for the first time ever (yeah always miss a few first time round), and it blew me away. How 4FOGV does the same.

mlink73 5th February 2012 02:55 PM

Hope my copy arrives tomorrow, can't wait to finally see it in glorious HD. The Retro DVD will probably be in the bin the minute the Shameless discs arrives....:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 5th February 2012 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlink73 (Post 214361)
Hope my copy arrives tomorrow, can't wait to finally see it in glorious HD. The Retro DVD will probably be in the bin the minute the Shameless discs arrives....:)

I'm still keeping my Retro DVD (I'm a bit of a sucker for hardboxes) - although my MYA version went on eBay a while ago!

Gojirosan 5th February 2012 07:56 PM

I've always thought FFOGV was the least of the "Not Really A Trilogy" Trilogy, and generally quite mediocre within Argento's oeuvre (totally amazing opening sequence aside!) and I can't wait to see the BD to see if a decent representation bumps it up in my estimation.

My copy is taking its time arriving though! To quote "The Littlest Hobo", maybe tomorrow...

ecc 6th February 2012 12:49 AM

Blu caps added to Beaver review

damek 6th February 2012 08:06 AM

I finally watched it. The picture quality was pretty good, most of the added footage was unnecessary, so you can watch the movie without it. I thought the movie itself was pretty bad though. I think only The Phantom of the Opera is worse, from the movies he directed.

Black Gloves 6th February 2012 05:38 PM

Four Flies on Grey Velvet (1971) | Blu-ray Review | Horrorview.com

damek 6th February 2012 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Gloves (Post 214606)

I agree about the Italian trailer. I think I like it better than the movie.

bgart13 7th February 2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecc (Post 214455)

I'm curious how the data size ended up being as low as it is on this. HORROR EXPRESS from Severin also had this issue and would've benefited from higher bitrates, etc. Now, I haven't watched more than about the first ten mins of it, so I can't comment too much on my own experiences -- I'm not damning it at all. I got either the flu, a stomach virus or food poisoning over the weekend and didn't get to watch it in entirety. But I am curious if it was kept low to fit onto a single layer disc to save money or if that's all the Italians provided to Shameless (not another case like THE BEYOND, is it ..?).

doolahrock 7th February 2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgart13 (Post 214717)
I'm curious how the data size ended up being as low as it is on this. HORROR EXPRESS from Severin also had this issue and would've benefited from higher bitrates, etc. Now, I haven't watched more than about the first ten mins of it, so I can't comment too much on my own experiences -- I'm not damning it at all. I got either the flu, a stomach virus or food poisoning over the weekend and didn't get to watch it in entirety. But I am curious if it was kept low to fit onto a single layer disc to save money or if that's all the Italians provided to Shameless (not another case like THE BEYOND, is it ..?).

Bit of contradiction on that review. The text review states a single layer disc but the spec sheet says dual layered.

doolahrock 7th February 2012 07:03 AM

Just popped the disc in the computer. It is indeed a single layer disc, maxed out at 22.51gb

Steel76 8th February 2012 08:23 AM

So are there actually TWO complete diffrent versions on the single layer disc, or did they use branching for all the extra scenes?

Sure hope so or they really are pushing it way to far for a single layered disc ;)

PaulD 8th February 2012 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steel76 (Post 214999)
So are there actually TWO complete diffrent versions on the single layer disc, or did they use branching for all the extra scenes?

Sure hope so or they really are pushing it way to far for a single layered disc ;)

Branching :)

When they first realised they had extra lesser-quality scenes that could be included Shamless asked via this forum if we would prefer them as deleted scenes or integrated into the actual film. The response was a largely the latter but only if they were included via seamless branching so the original film could also be watched in full HD and Shameless obliged.

I have only had a quick flick through the disc but the quality's pretty damn good, certainly the best this film will look I suspect

the blob 9th February 2012 03:56 AM

I've got to chime in here with my own thoughts. PQ generally very good. I know people are talking about low bitrates and single layered etc but to me that only really comes into play if it's a lousy encode, which this isn't.

Now... The audio....

For the most part great BUT those digital distortion glitches near the end are painful and I can't figure out why they happened as they're not on the Italian audio track. I often watch with headphones as I watch quite a lot in the early hours but I'm glad I didn't with this. Digital distortion is quite dangerous to hearing as it's all high frequency and having those turned up on headphones would have been quite nasty. I actually think it's an issue that is worth looking at.