Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > The Frightened Woman

View Poll Results: Which Frightened Woman front cover do you prefer?
Cover A 15 100.00%
Cover B 0 0%
Voters: 15. This poll is closed

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11th May 2011, 03:36 PM
Cult Rookie

Competition Incredible!

I just wanted to chime in for a moment and let the Shameless folks know just how much I enjoyed The Frightened Woman, and how much I appreciate the work that was done on the restoration. I heard about the movie just last month, and I got in my disc from Amazon last week -- it's absolutely incredible.

It's not often that you see a movie go for broke like this. The amount of effort involved in producing this must have been tremendous, given all of the attention given to set design, costuming and color. More so, the tone of the movie -- shifting between sumptuous, menacing, romantic, and fever-dream surreality while never truly alienating the viewer -- is pretty hard to pull off.

This is one of those movies where you wonder "why didn't anyone tell me about this?" It's striking how something so rich could be lost to the ravages of time.

I'd also be very interested to hear about the restoration, and about Shiavazappa himself and more about what he had to say about the film. There's so little information on him online, and it would seem like he and the rest of the crew just went on to do films and television that were quite a bit more conventional than The Frightened Woman. How did the ideas for The Frightened Woman originate? How did it do at the box office? What was the critical reaction, both in Italy and overseas? Many of the cuts seem to be unrelated to the sexual content -- so why are there so many versions? There's so little context for this film, and it does get under your skin.

Also, now that I've seen this, are there any other films like this I'm missing? I truly am reeling from never having heard of this until recently. (I'm more of a Danger Diabolik or Mister Freedom man than a Radley Metzger or Dario Argento man.)

Regardless, Shameless, thanks for this. And, uh... is there any chance of a Blu-Ray?
Old 11th May 2011, 04:37 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Great first post ecf, and I completely agree with you on your assessment on Shameless' release of Femina Ridens.

It certainly remains one of my favourite Shameless releases to date, and I too would love to see it get released on Blu-Ray one day.

Oh, and welcome to the forums by the way!
Old 11th May 2011, 04:47 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It certainly is one of Shameless' best releases.

I am always delighted when films are released which aren't readily available stateside, or have been released previously in the UK.

Ratman
The Designated Victim
Oasis of Fear
Footprints on the Moon
Satan's Baby Doll
Almost Human

Are all Wonderful and New
Old 13th May 2011, 02:28 PM
Cultist in Training

I absolutely loved the (pseudo-futuristic) 60s jetset interiors , and Lassander looked stunning. Storywise I did not think it was a trashy film at all. If this had been filmed in the USA people would have heard of it or something. Cannot say the same thing for many giallos.

Like this? Share it using the links below!