Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Manhattan Baby > Fulci's Box of Terror

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th September 2010, 01:03 PM
Twilight Zone Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
I don't care if they do re-release all their titles if it means we get some more obscure new releases further down the line. Shameless are a small indy label, and need to build revenue wherever they can find it.

From a marketing pov it's a pretty wise move releasing this boxset, as a) it's better value than buying the three individual releases, b) the striking cover art will probably attract more interest in the Shameless label, and c) a boxset release will sometimes introduce customers to new films they otherwise may not have bought singularly - meaning they may want to check out more.

Ditto for the individual Bronx Trilogy releases too. In fact, at the time when the Trilogy tin was first released, I seem to remember some people asking whether the titles would eventually be released individually, and Almar said that they would be.

Bigger companies are always re-releasing titles, and most of them have money to burn.

I am also one who agrees that any re-release should not be part of the standard numbering system.
I may be wrong, but I don't think most people have a problem with the fact that these are being re-released. I agree with you, whatever keeps the money coming in for Shameless is great, I think if they were being released number-less or in the case of the Bronx movies, with their original numbers, I don't think anyone would have cause to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye View Post
A small aside on the numbering issue, I'm pretty certain (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the first 20 Shameless releases (Wave 1) produce the Shameless spine builder. Any releases after that are just numbered, for no other reason but just to detail which release comes next.

I fully understand why people would feel compelled to buy the 1st 20 releases, but anything after that is just a number - no need to buy them all if you don't want to.

Most companies release titles with some kind of serial no. identifier on the spine, but how many people actually collect every title from that specific company just so they run in sequence?! Just because Shameless' numbers are more obvious (and lower due to them being a very new company), doesn't mean that you have to buy them all.

How many people will be worried about numbering when they're up to spine no. 1835?
Probably me!

You're right, it isn't important to some people, and nobody is being forced to buy anything, but these releases are appealing to genre fans with a collector mentality, me included. I've been lucky enough to receive review copies of Shameless releases in the past, something I'm extremely grateful for. These were disk only review copies, and in each instance I still bought the proper release - one of which was Satan's Baby Doll that fell outside the first 20, because it is important to me to have the set.

I have a lot of goodwill towards Shameless for bringing these titles out - I actually bought probably over 50% of them blind, because I have faith in the company bringing out interesting material. I know for a fact I'll buy whatever Shameless bring out next, they've earned that goodwill from me, but this does seem to be taking advantage of that slightly.
Old 30th September 2010, 01:10 PM
Active Cultist

yes exactly, no problem at all with titles being rereleased, anything that makes money for shameless is fine by me, but you guys shouldn't underestimate the power of those numbered spines. keep people in the habit of collecting the whole set, that's got to be a better move in the long run.
and dear christ that would be awesome to get to 1835! i'd have to put an extention on my bedroom to fit them all in
Old 30th September 2010, 05:17 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Or how about numbering them all the way up to 666?
Old 30th September 2010, 05:32 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

That's it jinxed now!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th September 2010, 05:46 PM
Active Cultist

I suppose
Old 30th September 2010, 05:50 PM
Active Cultist

So are these titles numbered because i did really want to buy the whole collection, but not really the same ones
Old 30th September 2010, 05:51 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanmetal View Post
So are these titles numbered because i did really want to buy the whole collection, but not really the same ones
I'm actually in the process of finding this out... Watch this space.

Also, please remember that if Shameless decide not to number the spines, the catalogue numbers will probably still stay as SHAM025, SHAM026, SHAM027 and SHAM028. So if Shameless don't number the spines, that could result in whatever SHAM029 is having "25" printed on the spine, just so people's collections look orderly. This could get very confusing for Shameless and companies willing to stock their DVDs.

But, as I've said, I've asked what is going on with the spine numbers and I'm awaiting a reply so I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Sarah@Cult Labs; 30th September 2010 at 06:07 PM.
Old 30th September 2010, 06:09 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I'd strongly suggest giving this box a "special" spine number rather than a "new" one, since it only contains repacks. What's the packaging gonna look like? If it's a nice tin and if the discs within keep their original spine numbers, I'd love to get that tin rather than the single editions.
Old 6th October 2010, 11:44 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Also, please remember that if Shameless decide not to number the spines, the catalogue numbers will probably still stay as SHAM025, SHAM026, SHAM027 and SHAM028. So if Shameless don't number the spines, that could result in whatever SHA
Could they perhaps be SHAMBOX1A, SHAMBOX1B, SHAMBOX1C? Then the next re-release box would follow with SHAMBOX2A, etc. The number on the sleeves stays the same as current releases and only their barcodes/internal numbering system is different. Then all parties are pleased!
Old 6th October 2010, 01:11 PM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

A little bit more about that gorgeous Graham Humphreys packaging.

Shameless has brought these films together as a trilogy of Fulci's USA and UK based films. They even asked Graham Humphreys to produce a special, and rather cool, Lucio Fulci stamp which is on the base of the box:

Like this? Share it using the links below!