Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Manhattan Baby > Fulci's Box of Terror

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th October 2010, 02:00 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I own all but the lure of a reversible cover for New York Ripper and that terrific artwork on the slipcase has made me add it to my HMV basket and all I need to do is check out!
Old 19th October 2010, 09:04 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Well, I'm treating you guys today! Shameless have put together a special bumper trailer for Fulci's Box of Terror which includes a brand new teaser for Manhattan Baby!

What do you think?
Old 19th October 2010, 10:10 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Nice trailer which still makes Manhattan Baby look about as crazy as a couple of waltzing cats!
Old 19th October 2010, 10:14 AM
Cultist in Training

Not seen any of these particular Fulci flicks yet but watching this trailer's certainly piqued my curiosity. Very reasonable price from what I can see on Play/Amazon etc as well

Looks like this might be my first purchase from Shameless me thinks. Glad it's a box set too; a single disc release (as lovingly put together as I'm sure it would be) would look a little lonely next to my burgeoning stack of Arrow discs.
Old 19th October 2010, 10:18 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

These three titles aren't the best films that Lucio Fulci ever made but they are still eminently watchable and, as you say, available at a very reasonable price. They are a good introduction to Fulci for anyone and you'll find yourself buying more Shameless and Fulci films after watching these three.

This DVD lark is a slippery slope with one purchase leading to another two and so on until you wonder where you're going to get the time and money from to feed your obsession!
Old 19th October 2010, 11:14 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
These three titles aren't the best films that Lucio Fulci ever made but they are still eminently watchable and, as you say, available at a very reasonable price. They are a good introduction to Fulci for anyone and you'll find yourself buying more Shameless and Fulci films after watching these three.

This DVD lark is a slippery slope with one purchase leading to another two and so on until you wonder where you're going to get the time and money from to feed your obsession!
Funnily enough I'd say it's my familiarity with Fulci's more revered films, especially his living dead quartet, that's made me somewhat hesitant to check these out previously on their individual releases. Not to say I didn't enjoy them; on the contrary

Just always feel a bit of trepidation when approaching the less-regarded works of a much loved film maker. I guess it's the same thing which has stopped me watching much of Argento's output from the last two decades so far as well. However the critical responses to these so-called lesser works can often prove to be tremendously polarising, so I guess it just a bit more of a gamble. Often when I've had my expectations set relatively low or neutral I've had some very pleasant and unexpected surprises.

Conversely, I'm sure we've all had experiences where the hype and acclaim for a supposed masterpiece has set our expectations so high that when we watched it, we were initially somewhat disappointed. Finally, I suppose even our own attitudes to a film can rapidly fluctuate due to mood, age, life experience etc so what in the final analysis does taste really tell us at all? I suspect, probably more about ourselves than the actual films sometimes

And yes, the slope, as you say, is slippery indeed. Case in point: watched the 2nd part of BBC4's current History of Horror series last night and walked away with another list as long as my arm of films I want to see!
Old 19th October 2010, 11:28 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZigZagZombie View Post
And yes, the slope, as you say, is slippery indeed. Case in point: watched the 2nd part of BBC4's current History of Horror series last night and walked away with another list as long as my arm of films I want to see!
Me too - I'm shamefully lacking in the Hammer department when it comes to DVDs!

As for this Fulci set, the only film I haven't watched from it yet is Manhattan Baby. The other two I have to say I enjoyed immensely, particularly The Black Cat. I've not seen a lot of Fulci's more highly regarded films but I always take each film individually anyway, regardless of where it comes in a filmmaker's cannon!
Old 19th October 2010, 01:48 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
As for this Fulci set, the only film I haven't watched from it yet is Manhattan Baby. The other two I have to say I enjoyed immensely, particularly The Black Cat. I've not seen a lot of Fulci's more highly regarded films but I always take each film individually anyway, regardless of where it comes in a filmmaker's cannon!
Yup, definitely seems the best way to get the most out of a film. Sure, it can be interesting and even potentially edifying to compare and contrast them at times, but it can certainly be a bit of an unnecessary distraction whilst actually watching the thing.

Looking forward to picking up this release the more I hear about it. Especially curious about the equally revered & reviled New York Ripper as that one really seems to divide opinions pretty sharply.
Old 19th October 2010, 05:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Well, it's time for me to reveal the brand spanking new reverse artwork for New York Ripper - which can be found in Fulci's Box of Terror!

What do you think?

Love that cover.Especially inside the yellow frame.

Will new stock of NYR feature the reverse sleeve like Torso Sarah?

Hopefully Killer Nun is next on the list.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:09 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Will new stock of NYR feature the reverse sleeve like Torso Sarah?
I don't think there are plans for that at the moment, Reaps, but I will keep you posted!

Like this? Share it using the links below!