Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Manhattan Baby > Fulci's Box of Terror

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2010, 08:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah@Cult Labs View Post
Me too - I'm shamefully lacking in the Hammer department when it comes to DVDs!

As for this Fulci set, the only film I haven't watched from it yet is Manhattan Baby. The other two I have to say I enjoyed immensely, particularly The Black Cat. I've not seen a lot of Fulci's more highly regarded films but I always take each film individually anyway, regardless of where it comes in a filmmaker's cannon!

Manhattan Baby
isn't very good. The opening scenes in Egypt are really atmospheric and well done but as soon as the 'action' switches to New York the film falls flat on it's face. It would have been better if the whole film was set in Egypt rather than the US.
Old 20th October 2010, 08:33 AM
Newsletter Moderator
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
Manhattan Baby isn't very good. The opening scenes in Egypt are really atmospheric and well done but as soon as the 'action' switches to New York the film falls flat on it's face. It would have been better if the whole film was set in Egypt rather than the US.
Not sure Egyptian Baby has quite the same ring to it though...
Old 20th October 2010, 09:04 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Cairo Baby

Last edited by Pete; 20th October 2010 at 09:33 PM.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:35 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I do like manhattan Baby but this was originally intended to be a "big" production...
Unfortunately the money promised didn't appear and the movie that was planned could not be made.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:43 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

And, according to John Martin in Dark Side, Fulci really didn't want to shoot in Egypt.
Old 20th October 2010, 06:45 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

I read somewhere that the scenes in Egypt were shot later in order to make a more "complete film" out of the existing footage and to make the film look a bit more expensive (by using an exotic location).
Old 20th October 2010, 08:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

I like Manhattan Baby. It's got a weird atmosphere that has really grown on me over the years. Certainly not Fulci's worst by any means.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:06 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

It's probably a film (one of many) that I need to re-watch to see if my first opinion is the same as it would be if I watched it now. Between the first time I watched Manhattan Baby at now, I have probably seen at least half a dozen Lucio Fulci films that I hadn't seen then.
Old 24th October 2010, 11:35 AM
Cult Rookie

Does anyone know what the booklet will be like,as in page count?obviously its not going to be huge,but just curious?
Old 24th October 2010, 04:44 PM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthcott View Post
Does anyone know what the booklet will be like,as in page count?obviously its not going to be huge,but just curious?
It's only six pages but still provides a very comprehensive introduction to the maestro and his work. Very well written too I must say; on the basis of these excerpts I'd buy a copy of the full book in a second if it wasn't so astronomically expensive at present (must've gone out of print I guess ).

Like this? Share it using the links below!