Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Official Shameless Fan Forum > The Shameless Collection > Manhattan Baby > Fulci's Box of Terror

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th February 2011, 10:31 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Got this around Christmas, but only just watched it. Really liked this set:

New York Ripper - seriously nasty and brutal, but I did like some of the twists and turns.

Black Cat - really good.

Manhattan Baby - this was a big surprise for me. I really thought that I was going to dislike it, given that there did not seem to be much general enthusiasm for it. Although there were some red herrings and the storyline is overfamiliar, I really liked the vibe and the pacing. The kills, although few, were really well done. This is quite an easy Fulci to watch and I suspect I might probably re-watch this more than the others (although Black Cat will get plenty too; Ripper, on the other hand, not unless I've had a few Scotches!)

Reversed the covers on Ripper and Manhattan Baby. Left the Black Cat as is.
Old 17th February 2011, 10:33 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah,that NYR cover is nice!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th February 2011, 11:37 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs View Post
Yeah,that NYR cover is nice!
It's just such an elegant slasher cover - and the Italian really gives it that giallo edge.
Old 9th May 2011, 02:51 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I understand the reasons behind it. But as a fan, the selection of his films chosen for "Fulci's Box of Terror" is really disappointing.
Old 21st May 2011, 01:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Location: From the bowels of Newcastle Upon Tyne he came....to collect DVDs and BRs!
Smile

I must say i have to agree with you and i'd probably only pick up this set if it was going real cheap and even then for any potential collectable value. Nice cover, though!
Old 21st May 2011, 01:24 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I thought that at first but it is worth buying if you're the sort of collector who will double-dip on a title for different artwork -- these three all contain different (and reversible) sleeves than the initial release and the box looks really smart on the shelf.

I don't think anyone will claim these three films are Fulci's best three films, but they are decent horror films nonetheless.
Old 21st May 2011, 02:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I thought that at first but it is worth buying if you're the sort of collector who will double-dip on a title for different artwork -- these three all contain different (and reversible) sleeves than the initial release and the box looks really smart on the shelf.

I don't think anyone will claim these three films are Fulci's best three films, but they are decent horror films nonetheless.
I'm just thinking of casual fans buying it on a whim as they vaguely recognize the name and it putting them off checking out his other (greatly superior IMHO) films.
Old 21st May 2011, 02:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Hopefully it will prompt them to check out the name, the reviews and onto things like City of the Living Dead, The House by the Cemetery, The Beyond and the upcoming Shameless release of Don't Torture a Duckling.

Hell, I started off as a casual fan and now can't stop buying!
Old 21st May 2011, 03:24 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
these three all contain different (and reversible) sleeves than the initial release and the box looks really smart on the shelf.
Only NYR has different art Nos. Manhattan Baby and The Black Cat have the exact same sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21st May 2011, 05:40 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Only NYR has different art Nos. Manhattan Baby and The Black Cat have the exact same sleeves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I realised that a few minutes after clicking 'submit' but forgot to come back here and edit my post. I've taken the opportunity to ensure that all three films, and all six discs, have entirely different artwork on show!

Like this? Share it using the links below!