Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th March 2020, 01:11 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

2362285-nes_snowbrothers.jpg

Now this one takes me back. There was a sweet shop around the corner from my house and this was in there for awhile absolutely loved it then and playing it again i get the same feeling from it.

Gameplay
I the same vein as Bubble Bobble Snow Bros uses snow instead of bubbles to trap enemies but there is more tactics here as you can shoot your enemies around the screen once they are in a snow ball to take out the other enemies. Gameplay is very easy and smooth and most importantly its fun as hell.

Sound
Great music always changing through the levels and the sinister music that comes when a bass fight in about to start really get you to perk up. The title screen music is very loud and not kind on the ears but once your into the actual game its all smooth sailing.

Visual
Again to draw comparison to Bubble Bobble this game is beautiful so bright and vibrant constantly giving us new enemies to fight and the details of each monster is spot on giving every enemy its own personality.

Its always great when you revisit a game like this and it lives up to the memories you originally had of it no rose tinted glasses needed here perfect fun times.
Old 8th March 2020, 01:57 PM
Cult Master

mwo,x1000,ipad_2_snap-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u4.jpg

A beat em up the same as Final Fight Streets Of Rage and a ton of others but enough to separate it from the pack.

Gameplay
As with the titles mentioned above this has the exact same gameplay as those with each character you choose having a totally different play style you have the mummy the ninja captain commando himself and baby an actual baby who rides around in a mech all the characters are fun to use. You just kick ass across the map beating up various goons until you get to the boss at the end of each level. Lots of weapons to pick up and you can get into mechs if your not the baby character of course.

Sound.
The music sounds like Yngwie Malmsteen got into the stupid it can be a bike crazy and wanky at times but when it calms down its decent. Smashing boxes and faces and the sounds of using the mech all sound great so a thumbs up for that.

Visuals.
Looks great plenty of colour good level design and the backgrounds looks great. The best thing visually has to be when enemies die their skin melts away and a skeleton is just left standing before it collapses to the ground a great touch that i really enjoyed.

Captain Commando is definitely one of the lesser knows beat em ups but its certainly can hold its own with the best of them.
Old 8th March 2020, 01:57 PM
Cult Addict

Enjoying these Retro reviews Nordy, I remember having a version of Contra on the Spectrum re-named Gryzor back in the day.

download (26).jpeg

Also always loved Bubble Bobble, classic stuff and still really enjoyable.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 8th March 2020, 03:25 PM
Cult Master

430574_1.jpg

Yet another beat em up but can it compete with the heavy hitters of the genre?

Gameplay
This follows the game layout as the other Capcom beat em ups but it really is out on its own adding so many new elements. The bad guys will beat dinosaurs to get them angry so they attack you and if you avoid hitting them they will snap out of it and leave the screen. Its the usual getting ass and smashing boxes for weapons and picking up health but there is the added element of guns that sound amazing they dont have much ammo but they come in handy when you get them.

Sound
Hitting and smashing sounds very satisfying the sound of screaming dinosaurs also is done perfectly but its the sounds of the guns that is where the sound shines expecially the machine gun i just wanted to keep firing it just to listen to it . Another Capcom game with some great music that keeps the game flowing nicely.

Visuals.
There is some much going on visually with enemies creatures dinosaurs and ever changing level environments but what was exciting for me was when shooting guns and kicking bosses it was like Batman from then series with POW and BANG and so on coming up on the screen along with the actual sound.

This game is one of the best Beat Em Ups i have played so much variety and some dark sinister and crazy creatures and themes going on its just am amazing game no talked about enough so so underrated its a real shame.
Old 8th March 2020, 03:27 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Enjoying these Retro reviews Nordy, I remember having a version of Contra on the Spectrum re-named Gryzor back in the day.

Attachment 223018

Also always loved Bubble Bobble, classic stuff and still really enjoyable.
Thanks i am having a lot of fun going through the games finding a few i never played before and i few i wish i never had
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 03:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 223013

Gameplay
As basic as it gets jump and shoot bubbles to trap your enemies and then burst the bubble they are inside to finish them off. Its simple to get into but mastering it not so much. Lots of fun with plenty of challenge.

Sound
Yet another game with great music thats instantly recognisable the same tune is used over and over again but its really suits the game and even sounds like bubbles if you know what i mean . All the sounds are easy on the ear nothing grating or ear piercing making it a pleasant experience overall.

Visual
Visually this game really pops out from the tv the colours are so bright and loud and thats a good time it looks fun and there is so much variety in the levels it never gets boring. Really is a beautiful game.

FUN FUN FUN and more FUN
Bubble bobble is a great game I sue to enjoy playing this..
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 8th March 2020, 07:33 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Bubble bobble is a great game I sue to enjoy playing this..
Its a genuine classic that still stands up today.
Old 9th March 2020, 10:38 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
In Resident Evil 3 remake news Nemesis can break into saferooms.

BOLLOX

this has now been disproving , the site that it came from got a normal room mixed up with a saferoom!
Old 9th March 2020, 10:42 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
this has now been disproving , the site that it came from got a normal room mixed up with a saferoom!
I was excited for the added tension but im happy that i dont have to go through that now
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 9th March 2020, 11:18 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
I was excited for the added tension but im happy that i dont have to go through that now
I can't say I was excited, considering that in my first playthrough of 2 I was clenching everytime I heard the boots of Mr x.
But it would have added a new level of tension.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!