Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree966Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd October 2018, 11:50 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

this looks even more amazing than i hoped!

bleakshaun likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:26 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I have been playing Bayonetta 2 on Nintendo switch over the past week. Fantastic game I loved the first one but this ramps up the madness to the next level some of the craziest boss battles I have ever seen which seems to be every few minutes. I had to use the Japanese audio track because one characters English voice actor is so bloody annoying I was skipping any of his cut scenes much better now fortunately. Truth be told you won't miss much by skipping the story 😄😄

Balls to the wall action with very little let up only half way through but I feel an 8 / 10 is a fair score
Old 16th January 2019, 06:40 PM
Cult Master

HACP_AAAC_WWillu01_03_R_ad-0_LR.jpg

This is one beautiful looking game so colourful and vibrant. It's the usual story from a Mario game the Princess has been kidnapped it's up to Mario to but his butt on the line to save her. Gameplay is fun and pretty simplistic but it's not about the challenge its about the fun something that Im rediscovering since I got my switch a couple of weeks ago.

I was getting jaded with half finished games filled with dlc and microtransactions but Nintendo has given me renewed faith in gaming it maybe short lived but I'm having a blast at the minute.

Anyway back to Mario there are hundreds of collectibles and places to explore on each level but my favourite part of it all is finding the old green pipes from the 2d Mario games and when you climb into them you transform into 2d Mario from the original game and have to complete a section it's a simple buto amazing part of each level. You also have a little companion along for thexample trip called cappy he is as his name suggests a character that is in your hat which you can use to defeat enemies and some enemies you can actually transform into to complete certain tasks to help you along the level.

Overall Mario Oddessy is an absolute blast and just pure simple FUN.

8/10
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 06:50 PM
Cult Master

hero05_en.jpg

Smash Brothers Ultimate is a brawler featuring all the Nintendo characters over all of their games. Again a very vibrant beautiful game visually and plenty of great gameplay the real challenge comes from trying to get used to each character and the way the move and what their skills are. There is a really robust single player mode where you unlock characters and also there is an online mode which I haven't tested yet so the jury is still out on that one I may need to find a fighter I'm totally comfortable with before I venture online to be murdered by some 12 year old

There is hours and hours of fun to be had here be it single player couch Co Op or online there really is a lot of bang for your buck here.

8/10
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 16th January 2019, 07:02 PM
Cult Master

images.jpeg

Just like Xbox and Playstation the Switch has a paI'd online service and just like games with gold and ps+ Nintendo offers a simular service with classic NES games you can play for as long as you keep up your subscription. I hear alot of people complaining about this but it's 20 bucks a year and they are adding more classic games all the time plus it's rumoured that the next lot of games with be SNES games so for me this is a great deal. Obviously there are games to play online but I'm not as big into online gaming as I once was but 20 bucks a year is worth it to me to be able you play all these classics anywhere I go.

Like I said I can't speak for how the servers are for the online games maybe when my game library grows a bit more I'll give a few games a shot online but or now I'm really pleased with what's on offer with 30 titles so far I felt it's still a little light but if the leaked SNES list is real then this is a steal.

Having not used all of the online features I think it would be unfair to give a score but if you love NES and SNES and own a Switch then you can't go wrong but maybe wait a little while until the SNES games emerge.
bleakshaun likes this.
Old 25th January 2019, 05:05 PM
Cult Master

3245719-vampyr-by-dontnod.jpg

London in 1918 is a filthy flu ravaged mess no one knows where the sickness that is ravaging the city has come from some speculate that it came back from the continent transported by unaware soldiers returning from the war in Europe but there is a much more sinister reason behind this epidemic.

You play Dr Jonathan Reid who has returned from war himself and finds him self after an encounter with a different problem that stalks the shadows of old London town Vampires infected and turned into one of these nocturnal creatures. Dr Reid is initially terrified but soon his emotions change to despair and anger when his uncontrolled lust for blood results in the dead of his sister Mary. Dr Reid sets about discovering who and why he was chosen and nut just feasted upon and left to die. Dr Reids mission takes many twists and turns showing at heart he is still a compassionate human when he takes it upon himself to rid London of the flu epidemic and the vampires that are running the streets at night.

This was a complete surprise for me I had no intention of picking this up it just seemed too low budget and dated but a mate was selling it cheap so I took a chance. Now is one of the best times to ecer use the phrase don't judge a book and all that.

Story
The story here is really engaging and I really did care about the characters and what personal trials and tribulations they were going through every person person has an interesting back story going deeper than just their sickness poverty or fear of the vampire outbreak. Best not go too deep into the story to avoid any sort of spoiler.

Combat
the combat system is pretty standard complicated dodge and strike at the right time it's about as basic as it get but it didn't get boring or feel like you were just mashing buttons. There are skills that you can upgrade to get more healing or stamina from feasting on both innocent people or the monster and Vampires hunters that are constantly chasing you down. Some of the special attacks are really satisfying and there are a little of weapons to be found if you do enough exploring.

Visuals and Sound.
I gotta say for a lower budget game Ito looks pretty damn good there are times with faces look a bit odd or waxy and lifeless not intended just because they are vampires of course but the city itself looks great. The atmosphere here is outstanding thy did just an amazing job capturing the gothic feel its like I was in a Hammer Horror film and the music is absolutely perfect it creates a feeling like the game is smothering you the atmosphere is that dense and weights heavy on you. Voice acting as mainly good but there are a few times when it dropped off abit and I found the use of the word epidemic was beaten to death Dr Reid used it so much even most of the time when it was unnecessary to even say it but I didn't annoy me it just made me laugh but it sort of took away from a few parts but again not a strong enough negative to take anything away from the experience.

So far it's all been good but sadly there is the bad nothing major but it did frustrate me so much throughout my time with this game. The map although it's a small map getting around was a nightmare more ofthen than not gates were locked that all fine and good but all of them could be opened from the other side not needing a key or anything just sort of thrown in there to drag the game out a bit more making you take alternative to routes to everywhere and some times the same gaate would be locked the next time you passed through. If I need to pick a lock or use gears to open a gate or levers or search for a key that's all fine and good but these one sided locked gates was very frustrating the more it happened.

Overall these is a great game I would definitely recommend especially to horror fans who don't mind alot of conversations in a game totally took me by surprise and I'm sure that alot of people will overlook this one and not give it the chance it deserves. For me one of the most surprising and underrated games of this generation.

8/10
Old 25th January 2019, 11:39 PM
Cult Master

Started Resident Evil 2 this is obviously not a review but something I just discovered before I started playing. When I turned on the game and the title screen came on there was no sinister voice saying resident evil 2 a small detail but a very important one for lovers of the series specially the ps1 games. Anyway I went into check the xbox store and low and behold the original fx and game soundtrack was listed as dlc what the hell I have to actually pay for the proper music for the game it was 3 buckaroos but it's 3 buckaroos that I shouldn't have to spend after buying the game it should of been included even if just as an option between the new remastered reimagined soundtrack and fx. I usually never do this ever but the soundtrack and SFX are so.important for me when it comes to this game I know it's different but I want to feel the spirit of the original from my youth so I paid the 3 sheets for the soundtrack and it does feel and Sound perfect as I'm playing now I can really enjoy this game. I know I may be part of the disease that is paid and pointless dlc but I just couldn't resist and yes this will be a black mark when it comes to the review even if I volunteerally took part in the shambolic practise.

Shame on me but this was just a heads up for anyone buying this game if you are like me and want that classic soundtrack before you start playing it's there for 3 notes but the remastered soundtrack does sound great also just not the same.
nosferatu42 and bleakshaun like this.
Old 4th February 2019, 09:02 PM
Cult Master

re2.jpg

When I think about the PS1 era I think GTA Silent Hill and Resident Evil 1 & 2 and to this day they remain some of my favourite games. Hearing of a remake of Resident Evil 2 had me excited but cautious could it live up to my expectations or would this be a quick cash in from Capcom. Let's find out.

Story

Leon S Kennedy a rookie cop with the RPD and Claire Redfield are stuck in Raccoon City during the outbreak and have to survive the oncoming zombie hordes and track down Claire’s brother Chris. They soon learn that Chris has left Raccoon City to investigate the Umbrella headquarters in Europe. With no motivation left to stay in the city, the two of them split up to flee the city. Whilst escaping Claire finds Sherry who is on the run from an unknown creature. Leon encounters Ada Wong who claims to be looking for her boy friend who is a researcher for Umbrella

Combat

Unlike the original game the controls have been updated for modern audiences instead of using a fixed camera we now have a third person camera which makes it much easier to get about. The combat is very satisfying with each gun having a different feel also popping a zombies head with a well placed shot no matter what the weapon never gets old. Another thing I love with if you have a flash bang or a grenade and an enemy grabs you you can shove it into their mouth and shoot it for a wonderful surprise 😄😄😄

Visuals and Sound

Visually this game looks amazing this a total from the ground rebuild and Capcom have put alot of love and care into this game and it delivers on every single detail. When it comes to sound again like the visuals its outstanding just hearing a zombie clawing outside the room your in will keep you on edge not knowing how many or how strong they will be when you face them. When Mr X finally shows up this is wjen the sound really gets under your skin and raises the heartrate to a dangerous level. Not knowing exactly where he is but everywhere you go you can hear his footsteps and him openkng and closing door it is really and genuinely unnerving to say the least. When it comes to the soundtrack i have talked about this already but there is a remake soundtrack and the original soundtrack the problem is the original soundtrack is dlc it's 3 bucks but it really should of been included in the game because it's a major part of the game I even though I did buy it and so feeding into the evil scheme that is dlc I just wouldn't of felt right playing it without the proper music and sounds.

Overall

This is survival horror at its best there are so many genuinely scary sections in this game. I gotta say this game is almost a perfect game and it's rare I say that there is only maybe one game I have ever given a perfect score but I will have I take a point of for having to play extra for the soundtrack this is a horrible practise and like I said I never fall.into these traps but I love of Resident Evil sadly forced my hand as shameful as that is.

9/10

Just one tip if you think you are approaching the end of the game save some health I didn't and the final boss was a bloody nightmare.
Old 4th February 2019, 09:11 PM
Cult Master

Has anyone played Zelda Breath Of The Wild. I have heard mixes things about the difficulty I don't want a game too easy but I don't want something frustratingly in a cheap way if you understand what I'm trying to say especially when it such a massive game. I just want to enjoy games these days for the experience rather than completing games on the highest difficulty.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:36 AM
Cult Acolyte

Default RPG Maker MV

Considering this game is mean't to be coming out on March 1st on PS4, nobody is talking about it. I just find it a bit odd.

Like this? Share it using the links below!