Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25th April 2016, 11:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Don't know if I could go back to them now as 3D graphics tend to age badly, I think, but these were my faves. I'd eat up a remake or sequel for any of these:

G-Police
Colony Wars
Wipeout 2097
Destruction Derby
Tekken 3
Bloody Roar

Apocalypse ("Starring Bruce Willis!" as the cover said)
Twisted Metal (first game I ever played on a PS1)
Ridge Racer Revolution
Rapid Racer
Old 25th April 2016, 11:25 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
Don't know if I could go back to them now as 3D graphics tend to age badly, I think, but these were my faves. I'd eat up a remake or sequel for any of these:

G-Police
Colony Wars
Wipeout 2097
Destruction Derby
Tekken 3
Bloody Roar

Apocalypse ("Starring Bruce Willis!" as the cover said)
Twisted Metal (first game I ever played on a PS1)
Ridge Racer Revolution
Rapid Racer
Its a shame we have not had a wipeout game for a long time.
J Harker, nosferatu42 and 6566329 like this.
Old 26th April 2016, 11:42 AM
Cult Rookie

Absolutely. Put a lot of hours into Wipeout HD on the PS3. I'm sure I read about a couple of Wipeout-ish games on the way - one from the Wipeout team. Does the series just not make any money? I don't get why they're not popping another one out for PS4. It's visually one of the most amazing franchises they've had, so it'd look great on an advert.
Old 26th April 2016, 04:37 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by attackosaur View Post
Absolutely. Put a lot of hours into Wipeout HD on the PS3. I'm sure I read about a couple of Wipeout-ish games on the way - one from the Wipeout team. Does the series just not make any money? I don't get why they're not popping another one out for PS4. It's visually one of the most amazing franchises they've had, so it'd look great on an advert.
When I first got Wipeout on the PS1 I could barley make it round a lap let alone have a kick arse race, as I think back it took about a week or so to get used to the controls, but then... WOW what a blast, but that in itself may be the problem, little Jimmy gets the game and gives up after an hour of banging into the side and being overtaken and never goes back to the franchise (Wipeout 3 on PS1 is a great game in it's own right and kept me up nights whizzing round) Wipeout 64 was cool but kept freezing up, things like that turn the peeps off, but mastering those controls was a real buzz.
Old 26th April 2016, 09:05 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
When I first got Wipeout on the PS1 I could barley make it round a lap let alone have a kick arse race, as I think back it took about a week or so to get used to the controls, but then... WOW what a blast, but that in itself may be the problem, little Jimmy gets the game and gives up after an hour of banging into the side and being overtaken and never goes back to the franchise (Wipeout 3 on PS1 is a great game in it's own right and kept me up nights whizzing round) Wipeout 64 was cool but kept freezing up, things like that turn the peeps off, but mastering those controls was a real buzz.
Fair point! Guess that's why they always have the steering assist options, not that that's a decent way to get around it. Still woulda thought they'd knock one out, even if only a downloadable game like Wipeout HD, because it's so cool visually. They can still trick kids who haven't played the old ones if they're feeling sneaky.
Old 26th April 2016, 10:12 PM
Cult Acolyte

We should also point out that the Wipeout games have some of the best music tracks (including The Prodigy) not just in racing games but any game full stop.
nosferatu42 and 6566329 like this.
Old 2nd June 2016, 08:32 PM
Cultist

Tekken 3
Metal Gear Solid
Tenchu Stealth Assassins
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
The Resident Evil games
Silent Hill
WWF Smackdown 1 and 2
Nightmare Creatures
Dino Crisis
Loaded/ReLoaded

Like this? Share it using the links below!