Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th October 2020, 04:03 PM
Thompson

Super Happy The reason WHY Resident Evil sucks now...

OK. I've been a fan of the survival horror genre ever since about 2000. My sister always liked games with female protagonists, like Lara Craft for example. She let me play Resident Evil 2 and right away, I fell in love with the idea that I was playing an interactive horror film, as a video game. So RE2 was the title that brought me to the dance.

I played through the first game many times on the original PlayStation, as well as 3: Nemesis and then I got Code: Veronica along with a Dreamcast as well, and I could use a cheat device, as my PlayStation console had the removable panel at the back. Although I completely stopped playing it after I eventually bought the remake in 2002. To me, 1996 to 2004 was when the genre was at its very best. Even Wikipedia states as such.

Around the time I got a GameCube, I was working in a Comet store in Edinburgh, and I used my allowance to save up for games and stuff. But the remake is basically just like the original in terms of the story and whatnot, but much better presented. Zombies can come back as quicker zombies, unless you burn them or shoot off their heads before they get a chance to become Crimson Heads.

The graphics, still to this day, look absolutely amazing. Nothing beats that game at all for scariness, apart from perhaps The Evil Within 2. That game is awesome too, yet I never really see anybody talking about it much anymore. But the whole Resident Evil series has never quite been able to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

But where did it all go wrong?

Well, I think the obvious answer is that Resident Evil 4, as good as it is, wrecked the whole damn genre. It's not really a scary game by any means. It maybe was a little bit scary back in 2005 because of your encounters with the chainsaw people, or having to deal with those things with the parasites inside their bodies, and you needed to have a special scope on your rifle to see where they were inside of them, to shoot at them. Today, it holds up more so because it's an influential third person shooter game, though.

The thing is, I've never taken to the story in RE4 at all, because it's just stupid. The merchant is a character that I find is just so ridiculous, and kind of quite unrealistic. And everybody you shoot normally drops something. Like, it's a very repetitive game. You can put 5 bullets into a villager's butt when he or she is coming at you with a pitchfork, and that sucker is gonna disappear and leave behind another 5 to 10 bullets for your special agent ass to immediately pick up, and repeat the process, and the game itself is kind of linear, in that you just kill enemies to proceed to the next area. If not ammo, then jewels, or something, falls on the ground. It just didn't feel right. The series was never really the same after RE4 came out. Let's be honest.

Now RE5 is a good enough game as well, especially because it has co-op. Playing with a friend makes for a great experience. But I'll be honest here. It's another action game, and they turned Albert Wesker into a colossal douche bag. Sure, he has iconic lines and moments, as does Chris. Boulder punching, anyone? But again, it's a stupid action game that is trying hard to be a horror game. But it even has co-op, which to a lot of people, takes away the fright factor considerably. To me, it's an action adventure game that is void of anything of the past games prior to RE4, and at all, save for having three characters from the original returning.

Now RE6 is another cool action game, with what I consider to be the best controls of any game in the series. It's great how you can jump, dodge, roll around, and slide under spinning blades. It also has co-op and some boss fights are intense. But it's not really a RE game, beyond the familiar faces and general theme. It wasn't scary at all.

Now I think Revelations 2 is a great game, that feels like a massive clone of The Last of Us. You've got way too many things in that game that Capcom stole from Naughty Dog. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I did think some enemies and even the story was a blatant rip off, in many ways. Although it was still an atmospheric game, and Barry Burton is just the best side character ever!

I'm not really a fan of the newer first person approach they're going with, or that they seem to purposefully use major characters as a cash grab by adding them into mediocre games, but in a relatively small capacity. Like Chris being in Not a Hero was just a way to get people hyped up about the DLC, that they ended up delaying for nearly a year back in 2017. And recently, Chris was seen in the new trailers and all for Resident Evil Village, but I just think they've made the series so messed up by altering this, that, and the third. Plus, they keep on doing all of these side story games, watered down remakes, unofficial games, and animated films, which just makes the timeline really confusing in general. Not only that, but they can never, ever seem to leave the year 1998 alone. It's the peak of the series, but Raccoon City has been gone now for over 20 years. But they keep on milking it for all it's worth these days.

Again, maybe I'm alone in this, but I just think the series has gone to the dogs. What they need to do, is give the old-school characters the closure they deserve, and do a full reboot, that is still linked to the other games, only with new characters that fans will hopefully care about. But they should clear up everything in a way that is satisfactory and also meaningful. Provided they can do that, of course.

It seems black people just ain't down with the series at all, really.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th October 2020, 06:16 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaunderschild View Post
OK. I've been a fan of the survival horror genre ever since about 2000. My sister always liked games with female protagonists, like Lara Craft for example. She let me play Resident Evil 2 and right away, I fell in love with the idea that I was playing an interactive horror film, as a video game. So RE2 was the title that brought me to the dance.

I played through the first game many times on the original PlayStation, as well as 3: Nemesis and then I got Code: Veronica along with a Dreamcast as well, and I could use a cheat device, as my PlayStation console had the removable panel at the back. Although I completely stopped playing it after I eventually bought the remake in 2002. To me, 1996 to 2004 was when the genre was at its very best. Even Wikipedia states as such.

Around the time I got a GameCube, I was working in a Comet store in Edinburgh, and I used my allowance to save up for games and stuff. But the remake is basically just like the original in terms of the story and whatnot, but much better presented. Zombies can come back as quicker zombies, unless you burn them or shoot off their heads before they get a chance to become Crimson Heads.

The graphics, still to this day, look absolutely amazing. Nothing beats that game at all for scariness, apart from perhaps The Evil Within 2. That game is awesome too, yet I never really see anybody talking about it much anymore. But the whole Resident Evil series has never quite been able to capture lightning in a bottle twice.

But where did it all go wrong?

Well, I think the obvious answer is that Resident Evil 4, as good as it is, wrecked the whole damn genre. It's not really a scary game by any means. It maybe was a little bit scary back in 2005 because of your encounters with the chainsaw people, or having to deal with those things with the parasites inside their bodies, and you needed to have a special scope on your rifle to see where they were inside of them, to shoot at them. Today, it holds up more so because it's an influential third person shooter game, though.

The thing is, I've never taken to the story in RE4 at all, because it's just stupid. The merchant is a character that I find is just so ridiculous, and kind of quite unrealistic. And everybody you shoot normally drops something. Like, it's a very repetitive game. You can put 5 bullets into a villager's butt when he or she is coming at you with a pitchfork, and that sucker is gonna disappear and leave behind another 5 to 10 bullets for your special agent ass to immediately pick up, and repeat the process, and the game itself is kind of linear, in that you just kill enemies to proceed to the next area. If not ammo, then jewels, or something, falls on the ground. It just didn't feel right. The series was never really the same after RE4 came out. Let's be honest.

Now RE5 is a good enough game as well, especially because it has co-op. Playing with a friend makes for a great experience. But I'll be honest here. It's another action game, and they turned Albert Wesker into a colossal douche bag. Sure, he has iconic lines and moments, as does Chris. Boulder punching, anyone? But again, it's a stupid action game that is trying hard to be a horror game. But it even has co-op, which to a lot of people, takes away the fright factor considerably. To me, it's an action adventure game that is void of anything of the past games prior to RE4, and at all, save for having three characters from the original returning.

Now RE6 is another cool action game, with what I consider to be the best controls of any game in the series. It's great how you can jump, dodge, roll around, and slide under spinning blades. It also has co-op and some boss fights are intense. But it's not really a RE game, beyond the familiar faces and general theme. It wasn't scary at all.

Now I think Revelations 2 is a great game, that feels like a massive clone of The Last of Us. You've got way too many things in that game that Capcom stole from Naughty Dog. Maybe I'm alone in this, but I did think some enemies and even the story was a blatant rip off, in many ways. Although it was still an atmospheric game, and Barry Burton is just the best side character ever!

I'm not really a fan of the newer first person approach they're going with, or that they seem to purposefully use major characters as a cash grab by adding them into mediocre games, but in a relatively small capacity. Like Chris being in Not a Hero was just a way to get people hyped up about the DLC, that they ended up delaying for nearly a year back in 2017. And recently, Chris was seen in the new trailers and all for Resident Evil Village, but I just think they've made the series so messed up by altering this, that, and the third. Plus, they keep on doing all of these side story games, watered down remakes, unofficial games, and animated films, which just makes the timeline really confusing in general. Not only that, but they can never, ever seem to leave the year 1998 alone. It's the peak of the series, but Raccoon City has been gone now for over 20 years. But they keep on milking it for all it's worth these days.

Again, maybe I'm alone in this, but I just think the series has gone to the dogs. What they need to do, is give the old-school characters the closure they deserve, and do a full reboot, that is still linked to the other games, only with new characters that fans will hopefully care about. But they should clear up everything in a way that is satisfactory and also meaningful. Provided they can do that, of course.

It seems black people just ain't down with the series at all, really.

I personally think res evil has sucked for a while, but thought 7 was great because it went back to old school, rather have silent hill any day .
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th October 2020, 06:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Really enjoyed 7 , the franchise was becoming stagnant and at least this tried something different and at times had a silent hill crossed with Texas chainsaw vibe.

How can people have a opinion for 8 from the tiny amount of footage we have seen. Let's wait till the games out.

All those links you posted have the most annoying bunch of assholes I've ever heard ,what a bunch of pricks just shows that gaming is invested with hateful morons.

Hell I don't even think some of them are black , seems more like what a teenager thinks a black person sounds like.
Old 20th October 2020, 06:55 PM
Cult Addict

Resident Evil 4 is my favourite.

Demoncrat and trebor8273 like this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th October 2020, 06:58 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosferatu42 View Post
Resident Evil 4 is my favourite.

It's between that and two. Just think a lot of the hate for four was how popular it was. It's a super creepy game.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:04 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor8273 View Post
Really enjoyed 7 , the franchise was becoming stagnant and at least this tried something different and at times had a silent hill crossed with Texas chainsaw vibe.

How can people have a opinion for 8 from the tiny amount of footage we have seen. Let's wait till the games out.

All those links you posted have the most annoying bunch of assholes I've ever heard ,what a bunch of pricks just shows that gaming is invested with hateful morons.

Hell I don't even think some of them are black , seems more like what a teenager thinks a black person sounds like.
Part of the reason why I preferred the early games was it was horror new fresh puzzle solving etc, me personally I liked 4 but then felt it strayed away from being a horror etc and Become more of just another kinda zombie monster shoot em up, and I think they knew that hence why they went back to old school on 7.
trebor8273 likes this.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:12 PM
Cult Addict

Yep 2 and 4 for me too.

I really got into the side game Mercenaries, so much so that i got full stars on all characters and unlocked it all, proper adrenaline rush stuff, figuring out the best route to take around each stage, to get the best combo score.

And i like the Merchant dude too...

maxresdefault (12).jpg
Demoncrat likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Part of the reason why I preferred the early games was it was horror new fresh puzzle solving etc, me personally I liked 4 but then felt it strayed away from being a horror etc and Become more of just another kinda zombie monster shoot em up, and I think they knew that hence why they went back to old school on 7.
Yeah after 4 until 7 they weren't horror games ,just action games with zombies.

Have you tried the evil within games, their good and are proper horror games.
Old 20th October 2020, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

The revelations spin offs did attempt to bring it back to the roots, while it never fully succeeded. They did succeed better than 5 and were masterpieces compared to 6.
I would speculate that in some ways 7 and from what 8 looks like it seems capcom are having a dig at konami
Old 21st October 2020, 01:02 PM
Thompson

Cool

My phone sucks.

Last edited by Thompson; 21st October 2020 at 03:30 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!