Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Anth
  • 1 Post By Demoncrat
  • 1 Post By trebor8273

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 4th February 2022, 07:09 PM
Thompson

Default Resident Evil 4 is great, but not for being a horror game...

Honestly, here.

Slupers online constantly praise RE4. But in my opinion, it's not even really a horror game. All you do is shoot.

I see so many people on forums like GameFAQs, acting like this is the best one. They probably never even played, nor liked the earlier games, because they say the camera angles are too daunting for them, or they are not as action heavy, so this probably bores them.

This is why I honestly hate Capcom for making the series into action. However, it did get the franchise out of a slump.

But yeah, man. RE4 isn't even that scary. The fact that a masked guy sells you stuff too, just doesn't make it horrifying. And each game pretty much got worse, until RE7 came along. But even that was just copying horror film scenes, and Ethan has a concealed face.

Sorry, but RE4, while it is good to play, isn't even that scary.

I am rather concerned about the upcoming remake. Capcom is known to be lazy and rush games out, for a quick profit. After all, the RE3 reimagining was absolutely atrocious. Yet slupers even find some degree of enjoyment in that. It's just awful.
Old 4th February 2022, 07:47 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I went of res evil because it started of as horror and just ended up as a zombie shoot em up.
Old 4th February 2022, 07:55 PM
Thompson

Yeah. It became just another day at the office for the protagonists once they killed off Wesker and brought in these villains, that you hardly remember by the next installment.

I commend 7 for at least trying to be horror. Until they went back to action later on anyway. LOL.

But they certainly enjoy copying other games, over and over again. They even ripped off Gears of War 3 for RE6. You can use a slide in a kid's park in both games, and you essentially run around with a squadron, gunning down everything.
Old 4th February 2022, 09:59 PM
Cultist

I disagree. I think the start of the game is most definitely a horror and very suspenseful as are a few other times in the game too.

This was literally the game that had got me back into and hooked on gaming it was so good. I had a PS1 in the 90s, but grew tired of it and just let it gather dust from 2000 onwards. I bought a PS2 sometime in the 2000s but barely played it and wasn't sure why I ever bought it. I then in early 2006 bought Resident Evil 4 and this got me hooked on gaming ever since.

The scene at the start when you are walking towards the villiage with the suspense music playing I remember being on edge. Then when the villagers spot you and all come at you and you are trying to find anywhere to hide from them and then the invincible chainsaw wielder comes out and almost every time killed no matter where you tried to hide. During this time the suspense was at number 11 for me.

Same goes a few more times in the game.

The game has the Staw Dogs type effect on me where you are stuck in a cabin with people trying to come in and get you and you don't know when they will stop and you don't have much ammo to stop them and they are unrelenting.

I honestly cannot think of any other game that knocked me for six as much as Resident Evil 4 did other than the first Ninja Gaiden game.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 5th February 2022, 12:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

More used to using the knife to preserve ammo, that's what I did with this (up to the castle ahem). Being endlessly pursued by mutated humans isn't horrifying? Hmmm. A mate who only ever played Res4 as he couldn't handle the door system in the previous ones always said that it was one of the few things that creeped him out.
nosferatu42 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th February 2022, 02:21 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
More used to using the knife to preserve ammo, that's what I did with this (up to the castle ahem). Being endlessly pursued by mutated humans isn't horrifying? Hmmm. A mate who only ever played Res4 as he couldn't handle the door system in the previous ones always said that it was one of the few things that creeped him out.
Agree the mutated humans are far more creepy than the boring old zombies and find Thompson post saying that people that like this haven't played the others , I know it's strange too some people have different opinions.
Demoncrat likes this.
Old 5th February 2022, 03:23 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Their eyes were freaky close up. Made me pine for my trusty crowbar

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 5th February 2022, 03:30 PM
Thompson

RE8 is an almost exact copy of RE4, but without the longevity. I do think RE4 has a weak story, but very enjoyable gameplay, while RE8 has neither.

With RE8, they added in pretty much everything from 4, like the castle setting and other places you go to are very much repeats from the environments throughout RE4. Also the way the group of enemies attempts to slay you near the beginning, but they head off after being distracted.

Like, yeah, maybe gamers will love it at first because it's brand new and shiney. But after a while, it doesn't leave as big of a lasting impression. RE4 however, is a game people still admire today.

Also, I have no interest in remakes, just because they're not new storylines that progress what has already been established. They would be better off making these remakes more in line with the original material to begin with, so people who know about those games, won't complain about the missing content. But of course, Capcom knows people will buy them anyway. They probably don't even care how they turn out. That's if the RE3 reimagining is anything to go off of.

Thompson (thesaunderschild).

Like this? Share it using the links below!