Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree1297Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd August 2009, 11:16 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I knew Sony had plans on streamlining PS3, and altering Backwards compatibility in a way that would leave some skeleton form of PS2 compatibility , but I stand corrected.

I was going by the model I have , PS3 60GB. which BC is almost 100% , plus I though there was a disc available to make Backwards compatibility available , though I think that might be in a grey area legally.

Anyway , Sorry for the misinformation D.
A case of me not doing my homework before posting im afraid.
Old 23rd August 2009, 12:38 PM
Ex-member

PS3 backwards compatibility gone for good

It’s official: Sony has confirmed that backwards compatibility definitely isn’t returning to the PlayStation 3.

During a recent interview, John Koller, Sony’s Director of hardware marketing, said: “It’s not coming back.”

The PS3 did feature support for PS2 games when it launched back in 2006. North American and Japanese models achieved this using embedded hardware, while European machines got the same result through software emulation.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/08...k_compat_dead/
Old 25th August 2009, 03:33 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Its a pretty useless function imho, as I have a 60GB Model with nigh on full backwards compatibility and i've only used it once to see how well it worked.
3 outta the 4 i tried were fine, even upscaled and smoothed out, but the other , a sports game, had problems with onscreen words , as team selection had name issues, ie wrong names or none at all, and no comentry , and bits of the game disappeared.

Although its all fixed on the 60's and the Virtual Mem. Card worked 100%, its somthing I can ever see myself returning to any time soon.

I was looking into 360 BC and if you've a silver or gold status, the x-box game will play fine. Any problems and I was give MS a phone number to use to get a disc sent out to me.

Whats the story with Wii Noss regarding Game Cube . BC.?

Last edited by vipco; 26th August 2009 at 10:44 AM.
Old 26th August 2009, 10:48 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just traded Madden 09 for the princely sum of £9 and bought Madden 10.
Theres , imho, enough new stuff to warrant an ungrade, though only if your a serious NFL /Madden fan .

One thing though, the guy in GAME serving me hassled me all the length of the transaction into 'upgrading' to PS3 Slim.
I told him that HD apart, I did'nt see it as much of an upgrade on what I already had , a backwards compatible 60GB with multi card reader.
After I got his full sales pitch he then asked if I needed an HDMI lead.
This dude was really chasing comission,

Last edited by vipco; 26th August 2009 at 11:05 AM.
Old 1st September 2009, 09:46 AM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post

Whats the story with Wii Noss regarding Game Cube . BC.?
Full backwards compatibility, I've got myself a nice collection of Gamecube games since buying the Wii. The Wii also has four GC joystick ports on the side of the console and two GC memory card slots
Old 9th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Just got the new WOLFENSTEIN, for PS3.

First impression's after level 1 are , basic FPS fare, with a very small 'open world' play area, slightly above average graphics and a confusing and pointless 'time veil' .
The shooting thoughs strong and feels good and solid, but the veil thing , at this early stage, is spoiling it for me.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:16 PM
Ex-member

just finished Final Fantasy IX helped my brother clean out his shed and found a PS1 in there and a boxed megadrive 2 lol,he had metal gear solid and FFIX for the PS1 and sonic 2 for the megadrive,"do you use these bro","no do you want them?" happy days
Old 10th September 2009, 04:13 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Started back on Call of Duty Modern Warfare...WAW kinda had me in it's clutches there for a while
Old 20th September 2009, 08:54 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Picked up Madden 09 cheap and I'm getting hooked on it.

Also got Arkham Asylum...very impressed, wished they could give Spidey this treatment
Old 20th September 2009, 01:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Madden 09 is excellent.

One thing mbv, set ' Player ' level and the 'cpu A.I.' level for INTERCEPTIONS to about 10% to 25% Max , as the interception level for both sides is very high per match, 10% up to 25% gives a more realistic setting than the default 50% for both , though 25% is still abit high.

I havent tried Batman yet, but I got DIRT 2 on Saturday, and while its a poor Rally ( 5%- 10% Rally ) game its an awesome Off Road Racer. (think Rally meets X Games)
Racing round Battersey power station in an EVO 10 is way cool.

Last edited by vipco; 20th September 2009 at 06:00 PM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!