Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree1297Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2010, 04:15 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahoney32 View Post
My favourite American's were playing Poker in Red Dead Redemption again last night.

"Get outta here man!" "Get outta here!" "Get outta here man!" "you got no money man!" "Get outta here!"
This American guy wasn't saying this to me. He was shouting at some other moron. "Forget about it."
Old 8th December 2010, 05:50 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I'm playing Splatterhouse at the moment & I must say, I'm absolutely loving it!

It pretty much follows the same premise as the original arcade game. Rick & his girlfriend Jennifer, visit the spooky mansion of Dr West where Rick is attacked & left for dead, Jennifer is then kidnapped by Dr West for reasons unknown at the start of the game. As Rick lies dying an ancient artifact known as 'The Terror Mask' calls out to Rick, saying that it will heal his wounds and help him save Jennifer if he puts it on. Upon doing this Rick transforms into an hulking being that is 'powered' by the blood of others & sets off to rescue Jennifer.

The original game was a classic side-scroller but this revamp is pretty much a 3D based battler with a Lovecraftian backdrop. Rick has basic punch, charge attacks & grab moves but new moves can be unlocked by spending 'blood' points you acquire through kills as you advance in the game, you can also wield weapons to great effect. Ones I've used so far are a Baseball bat, 2x4, Pipe, Machette, shotgun & a chainsaw. As well as these you can behead foes or pull their limbs off, these also can be used as weapons. At one point I even lost one of my own arms which I picked up & proceeded to smack demons with the soggy end! There are sections that revert to side scrolling play, which is very much an homage for players of the originals.

The game has lots of gore but in very over the top Evil Dead way, which is cool. Certain enemies when worn down glow red which is an indication for you to perform a 'splatter kill'. This is basically Splatterhouse's version of MK fatalities & reaps additional blood when performed. When your blood meter is full you can activate a berzerker mode which allows you to dish out masses of carnage whilst being invunerable, but only for a limited time. Some of the end of level bosses are huge & require a strategy in order to defeat them.

Theres a lot of humour in the game, the mask is for ever goading Rick all the time, theres some great one liners. Also for you collection freaks on each level there are torn photos of Jennifer that have been left as 'bread crumbs'. The photos when pieced together basically show Jennifer in various states of undress. Some might think it's a bit sexist or silly, but after all Jennifer is the female lead in a horror title so I think thats the point.

There are survival arenas to unlock adding replay value & the original arcade game & it's two sequels can be unlocked as you progress through the game making it the complete Splatterhouse package. Oh it's also has a great metal soundtrack to boot.

So basically if you want a break from Reach or Black Ops & want to play a fun game that doesn't take it's self to serious, has Extreme gore, horror, nudity & heavy metal, then I heartly recommend splatterhouse!

You make it easy.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:18 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Splatter House.

This game sounds really familiar to me. I think I may have played the original arcade game you mentioned. I remember that title from before. And those main characters names ring a bell too. Sounds good, I will play this one myself in time. yeah, a pleasant change from the popular Military games that are out at the present.
How does this compare with Blood Drive then? Haven't played this one yet either.

Started playing the Gears of war games again. Really looking forward to the third one. Decided to start a new game of GTA 4 too, Niko's story, as hardly anyone seems to be playing it online now. One of the best games that I've ever played, it would be in my all-time top ten video games ever anyway. Mass Effect 2 would be in my top five as well.
Old 8th December 2010, 08:59 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I had qite a few games i havent played for a while on sev consoles.
I also had res evil 5 didnt rate it at all so i took that and a few other games down and exchanged them, I got ghostbusters for the nintendo ds and enchanted 2 for ps 3... i thought the 1st one was great, also playing mario world on ds and also enjoying the wii party when there a few of us, good family fun...
Old 9th December 2010, 04:21 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Yes, it's great when you stop playing a really good game for a good while, then return to it sometime later. It's like a fresh game again.
Old 10th December 2010, 05:28 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I've got Deadly Premonition and Dead Rising 2 waiting for me when I get home. Deadly Premonition has had some AWFUL reviews, but it's also had some great ones for the story and the ideas. It's also supposedly a massive Twin Peaks rip-off, which sells it to me 5 times over. Can't wait!
Old 11th December 2010, 06:21 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Most games reviewers score with the average games buyer in mind and not all ways the audience the games aimed at , so i'd ignore those bad reviews and make up your mind.
I hope you enjoy it.
Old 11th December 2010, 07:54 PM
Cultist

I would be playing Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit but it hasn't arrived yet from Amazon, despite the delivery estimate saying 10th December. Therefore, I am instead still working my way through Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.
Old 12th December 2010, 03:55 AM
Cultist

My PS3 got the dreaded YLOD again the other day but was still under warranty from the local guy who repaired it last time. Got it refluxed again and took no chances - straight into GAME and traded it in for a brand new 320gb Slim (with Gran Turismo 5 and Medal Of Honor). GAME had a 20% bonus on trade-in's so got £132 for my old 40gb fat console which was nice.

Anyway, gave GT5 a bash today and was sucked in straight away. Haven't played at GT since the first one in the old PS1 days but have really been enjoying it. Taking a while to get used to playing it like driving a real car but starting to get the hang of it again now.

Trampy And The Tramp win Curry Lover(s) of the Year award at the Scottish Curry Awards 2010

www.trampyandthetramp.blogspot.com
Old 12th December 2010, 12:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

How much do the local cpu shops cost for YLOD repairs DJ .?
I still got a yellow lighted 60GB model sitting boxed in the spare room.
The YLOD repairs unless done by Sony rarely last and they charge £120 .

Like this? Share it using the links below!