Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th September 2009, 01:39 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Sorry mate but I cant agree with you here.

Now this is purely a personal preference thing, but for me The 3DO and Ataris Jaguar have to be the best consoles EVER.!

I did like the DC though.
The 3DO is an excellent console, but the best console ever... I think NossB hit the nail on the head there.

Never played on a Jaguar so I can't really argue...

Of this current generation I would have to say I prefer the Xbox 360 and PS3 equally. The Wii has some great games but, just like the DS, no one apart from Nintendo is really pushing the full potential of the console. This has resulted in too many ports, shovelware and just downright unplayable games.
Old 7th September 2009, 03:17 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPWNINJA View Post
The Wii has some great games but, just like the DS, no one apart from Nintendo is really pushing the full potential of the console. This has resulted in too many ports, shovelware and just downright unplayable games.

You're starting to sound like me.
Old 7th September 2009, 03:39 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Apparently , today, the 360 has a 52% fail rate, the PS3 was 24 , while the Wii was under 5 according to a top US Internet Games site but im not 100% sure if it was 1 site or another US site, so i'll not name it.

The reason the Wii was so low as put down to less play time .

The Poll was based on US gamers consoles during their 1 year warranty period 2007 / 2008 and published 2009.

The JAG especially with the CD Add On was great mate.

I honesty would swap my X Box 360 plus either 20GB HD or 250 mem card plus Play 'n' Charge kit and battery, , Componant HD / Composite SD Leads, All Boxed plus MS Arcade disc, plus SKATE 2, and Shaun White, or any other 2 X 360 games I have , for a basic JAG and 6 to 8 games.

Kasumi Ninja
Troy Aikman Football
AvsP
Rallygame. (top down 3D)
Wolfenstein 3D

Last edited by vipco; 14th September 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old 7th September 2009, 03:50 PM
Ex-member

i had 1 360 fail, my nephew george has had 2 fail but he still had 2 months left on his warranty lucky git,i did go through 5 ps2's 1st 1 lazer burnt a game the day i got it,sent it back and the next 3 they sent me either wouldnt read CDs/DvDs or read anything but sony were pukka about it and sent me a free game with each new system and unlike microsoft they picked up the broken 1 and droped 1 off at the same time
Old 7th September 2009, 04:23 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Bet you felt really PO'ed mate.

My first 360 red ringed on launch day, my original PS3 died about 13 months and i've had 3 PSP's break due to the game door and about 4 DC's break. Oh, and 1 PC .

I must admit, its something that im constantly aware off and now im outta warranty it does worry me.

The 3DO and especially the JAG were very sturdy.
Old 7th September 2009, 05:12 PM
Ex-member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
The JAG especially with the CD Add On was great mate.
The Jaguar CD looked like a toilet. Fitting, seeing as it played crap like Dragon's Lair and Space Ace.

Last edited by NossB; 14th September 2009 at 06:50 PM.
Old 14th September 2009, 06:01 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

True, but with Jaguar Hockey, World Grand Prix, and the V. Fighter beating Fight for Life on Atari's shiny disc add on, the games certainly weren't crap.
Old 14th September 2009, 06:49 PM
Ex-member

The Jaguar and 3DO come from a dark era in gaming, the bit between the decline of the Megadrive/Snes and the release of the Playstation.

Atari, Panasonic/Trip Hawkins, Commodore, Phillips & Sega nearly caused the second great video games crash in that period by over-saturating the market with overpriced/underpowered hardware and the shovelware to play on it. The only good thing to come out of it was the final collapse of Atari, only fitting seeing as the caused the great video games crash of 1983.

As for Fight For Life a Virtua Fighter beater, have you ever played the original Virtua Fighter? Fight For Life was sluggish, had none existent collision detection and terrible 3d graphics. Time has told which game beat which, the Virtua Fighter series is on Virtua Fighter 5 ver B, whilst Fight For Life is mostly forgotten.

But then, don't just take my word for it.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm03.htm
Old 14th September 2009, 08:25 PM
Cult Rookie

you see NossB, some people might like games with crap graphics and no game play... In the way some people like masturbating with handfulls of ground up glass.

One man's pain is another man's pleasure.
Old 15th September 2009, 01:44 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by NossB View Post
The Jaguar and 3DO come from a dark era in gaming, the bit between the decline of the Megadrive/Snes and the release of the Playstation.

Atari, Panasonic/Trip Hawkins, Commodore, Phillips & Sega nearly caused the second great video games crash in that period by over-saturating the market with overpriced/underpowered hardware and the shovelware to play on it. The only good thing to come out of it was the final collapse of Atari, only fitting seeing as the caused the great video games crash of 1983.

As for Fight For Life a Virtua Fighter beater, have you ever played the original Virtua Fighter? Fight For Life was sluggish, had none existent collision detection and terrible 3d graphics. Time has told which game beat which, the Virtua Fighter series is on Virtua Fighter 5 ver B, whilst Fight For Life is mostly forgotten.

But then, don't just take my word for it.

http://www.seanbaby.com/nes/egm03.htm
Ach C 'mon Noss, you should know me well enough by now to know im having abit of a laugh . I got V Fighter packed with my Saturn so I know which is best. FFL was so bugged the homebrew comunity had trouble with it.
I was referring to Sam Trameil quote regarding Fight for life in GamesMaster mag Jaguar Special Ed.

The 3DO & Jaguar are special to me as they were out in a special time in my life .

They were my first consoles , apart from a SNES i owned for 4 days till I saw the 3DO & Jaguar running . AvP & 3DO FIFA . 3D looked impressive 'back in the day'.
To me they are the best as their era has some of my happiest memories.

True, alot of the games were shite, but alot were fun, to me at least , plus just because a console IS the best , dose'nt nessacary mean its gonna give the user the best time playing it.
Yes, i've a PS3 & 360 now, and I enjoy both, but the days of 'high scores' and games with digital sprites and FMV were special .
I dont want them back, I only want to say they were the best days of gaming for me, as they opened up a whole new world for me , and thinking back to those days makes me smile, and thats something I dont do much of today, so if something can make me happy just by thinking about it or watching it on U Tube then to me its the best , even though it was probably far from it. .

Todays consoles ARE superior, but power dose'nt equal fun.
Weres the hash difficulty and simple fun.? Remember Synicate and Canon Fodder.? Return Fire and Killing Time.? ..........happy times.

*Atari Jaguar has one of the largest home brew comunities in gaming.

Last edited by vipco; 15th September 2009 at 02:21 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!