Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th August 2009, 08:42 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Which is the best Console?

I'm not wanting this thread to turn into a soapbox for Sony/Ninty/MS fanboys, but which console do you recon is best , ......and why.?

I was asked this by a mates wife , after he took to playing his old Dreamcast again after a long absense , and she want's to start saving to get him one of the latest gen consoles for crimbo, though she wasn't to fussed on all the other stuff it does , just mainly to play games on, anything else would be a pleasant extra.

As owner of PS3 and X360 I thought it would have been an easy choice, but with each machine having strong reasons why it should be chosen , it was'nt.

Though I came to my desion surprisingly very quickly, ...... Sony's PS3, though I don't know 100% why, to be honest .
( I dont have a Wii so unfortunately I couldn't consider that, but if anyones into Wii then please post and tell of its merits. )

So if you were asked to recommend one of the 3 current consoles, or are thinking of buying into one of them yourself , then which would you most likely recommend or buy , and why. ? .

Last edited by vipco; 31st August 2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 24th August 2009, 09:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I too have PS3 and Xbox 360 and I hardly ever play Xbox anymore.

For me the advantages of the PS3 are...
Online is free..no subscription
No batteries in the controller
Blu ray
I also prefer the menu's on the PS3..xbox drives me mad sometimes.
The tray on the xbox sticks sometimes too. grrrr
Old 25th August 2009, 07:37 AM
Ex-member

PS3 - It has a range of games that I prefer and although it has a higher purchase price, the console works out cheaper with all the add-ons (I have pretty much every add-on made for it from Buzzers to PS EYE). Also the PSN is free, it has a built in browser and VidZone is better than MTV. PSN Home is a complete waste of time though.

I have a Wii, most of the games on it are unplayable due to bad programming. Although the A+ games on the system (i.e Metroid, SMG & Zelda) are some of the best games out there. The old control system is vastly overrated, although the new Wii MotionPlus is meant to do what the original hype around was supposed to do.

I had the Xbox360 - too noisy, too clunky & over-hyped. Gears Of War & Beautiful Katamari were good exclusives, the other "exclusives" bar Halo3 are out on other systems. Plus, as much as I love being told to "Go back to Africa" by 13-year-old boys on XBL, I didn't want to pay for the privilege of it. Sold the Xbox360 for £25.
Old 25th August 2009, 12:03 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

One thing I did notice was that graphically , for now, the 360 was ever so slightly better.
In Madden 09 the main players are all detailed, mesh jerseys, badges,etc in both versions, but only the 360 carries on this detail to the players on the sideline, where as the PS3 version loses detail here.

I also noticed that even if a game has 720p HD as the native resolution, the 360 upscales it to 1080i automatically , where as the PS3 plays at the optimal resolution.

One place the 360 beats PS3 is in its DLC shop content. The UK PS3 Store is very poor, I used to access the US PS3 store and the content there far outnumbered its UK conterpart, but I still think the 360 comes off better with MarketPlace.

Your right about 360 menu's mbv, they're awefull.
Old 31st August 2009, 03:00 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Anybody get , or are thinking about getting , the new slim 120GB PS3.?
Old 31st August 2009, 03:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I dont have a ps3 yet so cant comment. nor a xbox just the old ps2. and a wii i tend to find with the nintendo love or hate them imo i think the are the best for making multiplayer games where you and friends or family can play
Old 31st August 2009, 04:04 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

The Wii's a current console though its not in direct competition with Sony or MS , according to Ninty.
I agree, Nintendo are a marmite company. Im afraid I never was a fan after playing Fifa on the SNES, though I have owned the 64 and Cube, admittedly not for long though.
Old 31st August 2009, 04:42 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipco View Post
Anybody get , or are thinking about getting , the new slim 120GB PS3.?
I'm picking mine up tomorrow or wednesday hopefully.

I already have a ps3 but was going to get a blu ray player for the bedroom and thought an extra cheaper ps3 was a better idea.
With 6 kids in the house my gaming time is very limited...........UNTIL NOW
Old 31st August 2009, 05:52 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Cool.

Any chance when you get it you could post a comparison review.?
Old 31st August 2009, 09:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

I used to be a SEGA boy when I was younger, but after the terrible Saturn and Dreamcast and SEGA's eventual withdrawl from the console market I switched to the N64, which was my first console with Nintendo. I loved it - mainly for GoldenEye and Perfect Dark, but it was the most addictively playable console that I had owned and probably will ever own.

I bought a 2nd hand PS1 not long after and was hooked on WWF, Gran Turismo, and Grand Theft Auto, and have subsequently owned all of the PS family (including a number of PS2's - 4 I think!) even though I'm embarassed to admit that I rarely use my PS3.

My missus bought a Wii about a year ago, so we play on that together and with mates, but she isn't really into gaming - especially on the PS3.

I haven't had much experience of the XBox, except with playing Halo with some mates after the original XBox was first released, and I just didn't like the controllers at all. I played on a demo 360 in a shop when they were first released, and if anything I found the controls had gotten worse!

If I had to pick one of the three main consoles on the market at the moment I would pick the PS3 in an instant - with it's Blu-Ray capabilities and free online it's a sensible choice. The Wii is fun, but most of it's appeal is about gimmicks which wear off the more you use it. Plus even though the console is cheap, once you've bought all the attachments and add-on's you need to make it more 'fun' it's about the same price as a PS3. Also, the games available on Wii that are available on the other consoles have had content removed to make them 'simpler' to accommodate for motion detection gameplay, which is okay for the simple, less in depth games, but anything more serious like Resident Evil - you're definitely better of with an XBox or PS3 if you're after content rather than gimmicks.
SharonLynette likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!