Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dream demon View Post
I do have the Survivor games on the PS1, but to be honest they were pretty poor. If they weren't part of the RE series, and if I hadn't been such a RE completist at the time, I wouldn't have bothered with them at all. House Of The Dead did it so much more convincingly imho.

And as for game censorship, just be thankful we weren't in Germany - the RE games were banned outright there!
Only one game of the survivor series released on the ps1.The others were released on ps2
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:07 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post

Anyone remember Resident Evil: Survivor? I think I was the only person who liked that one.
Probably.
Old 24th October 2011, 08:53 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Here is my brief review of each title (I'm a huge fan of the series!)

Original releases for me (PS1/DC/GC/360)

Resident Evil: Cracking stuff, ropey dialogue, but that's all part of the charm 8/10
Resident Evil 2: Perfect in every way 10/10
Resident Evil 3: Great start, slightly meandering towards the end. Mercenaries was brilliant though. 7.5/10
Resident Evil – Code Veronica: A good game, slightly hard to get used to at first with the new 3D environments, but totally slays it near the end 8.5/10
Resident Evil 0: Take note RE5, this is how two characters should be done. Great, great story, but kinda doesn’t tie in with the first game. 8/10
Resident Evil 4: A great game, a departure from the series yes, but still excellent. And when you think it’s finished, there’s a whole new bit! 9/10
Resident Evil 5: Disappointing. Only really playable as online co-op, as Sheva is a huge hindrance throughout. More emphasis on a Gears style action experience 6/10

Alternate versions

Resident Evil (Saturn): Good battle mode, but let down with some ropey textures 7/10
Resident Evil: Directors Cut (PS1): Same great game, really good Master mode 8.5/10
Resident Evil (Gamecube): How do you improve a classic game? Completely rebuild it and make it new again. A stone cold classic that’s worth buying a Gamecube for 10/10.
Resident Evil 4 (Wii): Hard to get used to, but once mastered, it’s a thoroughly rewarding play through. Does feel a bit gimmicky though 8/10
Resident Evil 4 HD (360): It’s the same game, but it looks better! I like the adding of the Ada mode from the PS2 version (which I never played), so for me it’s an improvement! 9.5/10
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2): To be honest, I can’t remember any difference at all, but I’m sure there was. Have to give the same score 8.5/10

Other games in the series

RE Survivor (PS1): If I remember rightly you couldn’t use the G-Con? Weird story, weird game. Kinda fun though, if a little cumbersome. 5/10

RE Outbreak (PS2): Removed the online play, ended up as a bit of a turd, with really awkward controls 3/10

Haven’t played any of the others, although I am trying to remedy that fact!
platostotal and sawyer6 like this.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:46 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

so noone's played Zero then?? the co-op ting was a pain to learn but once you get the hang, an enjoyable "old school" Res game. Agree about GC RES1...stunning, so much so nearly got chewed twice whilst looking at the detail in the panelling

liked the 4th because it was so different
hated the 5th because it was TOO different

CV has some great moments (the back of the plane...talk about hostile work enviroments)
didnt like 2nd game (because i never completed it, bloody hunters!!)
3rd had some nice tricks to it...time it right and watch hunters fly through the air into your shotgun range, wheeee

films = shit. even that CGI ting. ****ing drivel.
Old 24th October 2011, 10:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Fury View Post
Here is my brief review of each title (I'm a huge fan of the series!)

Original releases for me (PS1/DC/GC/360)

Resident Evil: Cracking stuff, ropey dialogue, but that's all part of the charm 8/10
Resident Evil 2: Perfect in every way 10/10
Resident Evil 3: Great start, slightly meandering towards the end. Mercenaries was brilliant though. 7.5/10
Resident Evil – Code Veronica: A good game, slightly hard to get used to at first with the new 3D environments, but totally slays it near the end 8.5/10
Resident Evil 0: Take note RE5, this is how two characters should be done. Great, great story, but kinda doesn’t tie in with the first game. 8/10
Resident Evil 4: A great game, a departure from the series yes, but still excellent. And when you think it’s finished, there’s a whole new bit! 9/10
Resident Evil 5: Disappointing. Only really playable as online co-op, as Sheva is a huge hindrance throughout. More emphasis on a Gears style action experience 6/10

Alternate versions

Resident Evil (Saturn): Good battle mode, but let down with some ropey textures 7/10
Resident Evil: Directors Cut (PS1): Same great game, really good Master mode 8.5/10
Resident Evil (Gamecube): How do you improve a classic game? Completely rebuild it and make it new again. A stone cold classic that’s worth buying a Gamecube for 10/10.
Resident Evil 4 (Wii): Hard to get used to, but once mastered, it’s a thoroughly rewarding play through. Does feel a bit gimmicky though 8/10
Resident Evil 4 HD (360): It’s the same game, but it looks better! I like the adding of the Ada mode from the PS2 version (which I never played), so for me it’s an improvement! 9.5/10
Resident Evil: Code Veronica X (PS2): To be honest, I can’t remember any difference at all, but I’m sure there was. Have to give the same score 8.5/10

Other games in the series

RE Survivor (PS1): If I remember rightly you couldn’t use the G-Con? Weird story, weird game. Kinda fun though, if a little cumbersome. 5/10

RE Outbreak (PS2): Removed the online play, ended up as a bit of a turd, with really awkward controls 3/10

Haven’t played any of the others, although I am trying to remedy that fact!
RE Survivor 2 was a travesty!,RE Dead Aim was decent,RE Outbreak 2 was a bit impooved than no1 but still hard to control,RE gaiden is the only title I didn't buy
Old 24th October 2011, 10:55 AM
Ex-Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombsy666 View Post
While the 1st res evil is alright, it stumbles next to the original Romero scripted draft, got a lend of this to read a while back & this would have been the ultimate version, a lot bigger & from what i remember closer to the original concept of the game,but this was never to be as the studios rejected this & vouched for what it was to become, not slagging this off but feel it could have had more depth if Romero got his way
The Romero script was for the first film not the game. The game was designed and made by Shinji Mikami who was inspired by Lucio Fulci's zombies, but disapointed with the zombi 2 film. He took great influence from Romero in terms of story and style.
As for the games themseleves, Res 1 was groundbreaking but throughout all of the incarnations I still think Res 2 just had that something. the version on N64 with little load times was my version of choice. Great music, great horror and a will smith lookalike.
As interesting is Mikami hasn't played Res5 and says he won't. I don't think he should either. Graphics are amazing but it just lacks the horror of the orginals and the better pace of Res4. Code Vernoica was also I great title, but I disliked the light gun games and the awful Outbreak. One title that gets over looked was the Nintendo DS Res1 Deadly Silence. It added a few interesting ideas to the classic. Resident Evil 1, and 4 are available on PS store, although I perfer the wii 4. I liked the gamecube remakes also.
I do think they are taking the franchise somewhere I don't like with 5 although that might change as the new 3DS title and PSP are both set in the orginal puzzle confinments. I like the way Silent Hill as always stuck to what it does best and not turned Rambo on us. Dead Rising is good although hard and the wii version worked much better with res4 controls and much more ammo.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehamish View Post
so noone's played Zero then?? the co-op ting was a pain to learn but once you get the hang, an enjoyable "old school" Res game.
Yeah, I mentioned 0 above. Great game. Not the best in the series, but still nifty.
Old 24th October 2011, 11:25 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Yeah, I mentioned 0 above. Great game. Not the best in the series, but still nifty.
oops, blind as a bat i am sometimes. i felt that this was the last stand for the old school Res scenario, after this they were going to change it, just have this feeling.....
Old 24th October 2011, 01:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
RE Survivor (PS1): If I remember rightly you couldn’t use the G-Con?
You remember wrongly, I played the whole game with it.
Old 24th October 2011, 02:37 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I just did a bit of research, and it turns out in the US version, it didn't support guns (because of post-Columbine/DOOM paranoia). I had the US version that I bought in a secondhand shop.

Now I know why I played through with a controller! haha

Like this? Share it using the links below!