Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:06 PM
thesaunderschild

Default Resident Evil?

I am a big fan of RE, but still wish it was like it was before RE4 and 5 came about. They ruined the RE series big time by making it "action horror". Although, I think RE4 is a great way to rid yourself of pent up frustration with head kills and Rambo style weaponry!
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:11 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I like RE4 (not played 5) but I was disappointed it wasn't like the first 3 games. I could play the original games non stop, they never get boring.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:34 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I like RE4 (not played 5) but I was disappointed it wasn't like the first 3 games. I could play the original games non stop, they never get boring.
I've got no spare time for games at the moment and haven't had for a while but RE4 on the Wii was brilliant even if a little too easy. RE1 is still my fave though. I got a little way into 5 but I missed the simplicity of the earlier ones. One day I'll go back to it.
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:17 PM
Cultist

While the 1st res evil is alright, it stumbles next to the original Romero scripted draft, got a lend of this to read a while back & this would have been the ultimate version, a lot bigger & from what i remember closer to the original concept of the game,but this was never to be as the studios rejected this & vouched for what it was to become, not slagging this off but feel it could have had more depth if Romero got his way
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

I really enjoyed RE5 on the Xbox 360, but I didn't really feel that it was a 'Resident Evil' game. It felt like it was Resident Evil in name only. For me, Code Veronica on the Dreamcast was the pinnacle of the Resident Evil series. It managed to create 'next gen' 3D environments, without loosing that RE 'feel' and atmosphere.

For a true modern RE-style game, try Dead Space. This is the direction RE should have gone in imho.
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:25 PM
Cult Acolyte

Cool

First time I played RESI 1 on the PS1, even in it's cut form (yep we can't even play uncensored games in the U.K.) I loved the atmos and cheese riddled voice acting, a game truly aimed at horror fans. 2-3 also on PS1 great fun(shotgun blasts to heads aplenty!) and CODE VERONICA on the Dreamcast, with it's Christian Slater-alike geezer was good for a few hours. To be honest I liked 4 for a while but got cheesed off with the baddie who whizzes all over the place and can only be stabbed and interest drifted away(and the remake of RESI 1 on the Gamecube is ace, and as you can pick the console and game up cheap, worth a punt just for RESI) fave baddie is the spider from RESI 1. Of the films, only RESI-APOCALYPSE has some of the games vibe about it IMHO.
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:35 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I only played CV on the PS2 (don't know if it's different or not than the DC version) and thought it was the weakest by far. I was so happy when I finished it because it meat I didn't have to play on it again.

Anyone remember Resident Evil: Survivor? I think I was the only person who liked that one.
Demoncrat likes this.

Letterboxd | Youtube | Twitter
Old 23rd October 2011, 07:46 PM
Cult Acolyte

Send a message via Skype™ to sawyer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete View Post
I only played CV on the PS2 (don't know if it's different or not than the DC version) and thought it was the weakest by far. I was so happy when I finished it because it meat I didn't have to play on it again.

Anyone remember Resident Evil: Survivor? I think I was the only person who liked that one.
I own the entire collection of R.E. and I liked Resident Evil: Survivor a bit, not great but ok
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I had Survivor, it was all right! I miss my G-Con 45
platostotal likes this.
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Location: Somewhere no one has ever heard off. Lucky beggars.

I do have the Survivor games on the PS1, but to be honest they were pretty poor. If they weren't part of the RE series, and if I hadn't been such a RE completist at the time, I wouldn't have bothered with them at all. House Of The Dead did it so much more convincingly imho.

And as for game censorship, just be thankful we weren't in Germany - the RE games were banned outright there!

Like this? Share it using the links below!