Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree59Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th September 2008, 03:14 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

PS3 Controller. NYKO Rumble Pad - 25-35 pounds

If like me you find the PS3 Controller a tad to small then there's a 3rd party Rumble Controller due to hit the UK market from NYKO.
Its made of a mix of ABS and aluminium to keep it cool and free from sweaty hands.
The face buttons are blacklit for easy identification in a dark room, and the D pad is slightly tilted for a more natural feel.
Booth analouge sticks are strong and responsive.
The pad comes in several colours.

The only down side is its not Blue Tooth, but uses a 'dongle' and built in battery for wireless connection, though this is no big deal, but it does take up 1 of your controller ports on the PS3.
Looks ways its like a cross of the current 360 pad and the PS3 pad .

I was lucky enough to get alone of a promo model from a mate who's manager in a game store that they had for demo purpose , for a playtest and it was superb.

I tried it with the aweful TNA IMPACT.
Wrestlers resonded immeditly to each button press and the rumble was on a par, if not slightly more powerful , as the Sony offical pad.

Over all, if you can wait on Rumble in your games or are looking for a 2nd less expensive Rumble Pad, then you cant go far wrong with the NYKO.
Its well made and imo a really good games pad.

Although not available in UK stores yet, the pad can be bought from NYKO themselves, or GameStop US.
Old 20th September 2008, 03:24 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Default Reviews

I was told that Shameless will be adding a Games prefix to the review section.

I have a large library of PS3 and PSP games I could review from , but was wondering (Hoping) if anyone else with X360, PS3, Wii, PC, PSP, DS, or any other games format would be interested in posting reviews as well for whatever console they own.

What do you think of a Games review thread.?
Good idea or waste of time.?

Let me know.
Old 20th September 2008, 06:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I think a games thread would be great. I don't keep up with games or play them that often, except when one of my big favourites come out, but I'd certainly enjoy reading some reviews.

It's a good idea.
Old 22nd September 2008, 03:08 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Yeah, a games review thread would be great. I dont really keep up with all the new games (hell, I dont even have a 360 or PS3 yet ) I just dont have the time for them. But yeah, I agree with Trench, It'd be a good read, go for it.

Anyone ever play Half Life? That games superb, one of the greatest, if not the the greatest first person shooter of all time. I've played that through about six times, it's so damn good, I just never get bored of it.
Old 22nd September 2008, 04:05 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

I played Half Life. Your right it is a good FPS, though I thought the sequel was to pulzley .

A PS3's a good piece of kit Hal, you get a BluRay player which is regulary updated by download to keep it at the cutting edge of Hi Def Tech , a Web Browser, which gives full internet access, ( Thats how I surf), a DVD Upscaler, 7.1 sound, True HD Gaming, (360 dos'nt do True HD), A 10 year support promise from Sony to support the system and keep it updated in all tech areas, plus many add ons including a Digital TV box witch can pause and record live TV. Not bad for under 300 quid, with a possible price cut or money saving bundle coming soon.
An HD TV is needed to ger the full benfits outta the machine though.
Plus it will be a few years yet before developers get full preformance outta the games cpu's in PS3 were as the X360 will be maxed out with the next generation of games according to some developers.

Thats not to say the 360's not a good Gaming machine, cos it is an excellent games console, and with a 129.99 starting price point i'll be picking one up soon for the MS exclusives.
BTW, The 360 wont Upscale DVD's unless its the black 'Elite' model. RRP 259.99.
Old 22nd September 2008, 05:15 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

I've been meaning to pick one up for ages vip's just haven't got round to it, and i never seem to have any time to get down to some serious gaming. I think what with the price drop I might have to finally invest in a 360. It's definatley worth it for that price.

Still, thats not bad for ps3 either. If I you can get them for under 300 quid now then thats definatley worth bearing in mind aswell.

Last edited by Halloween_22; 22nd September 2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 22nd September 2008, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Just did a bit of searching around about the Xbox upscaling sd dvd's, seems it does as long as the Xbox has a HDMI connection (or use the VGA). Here's some more info :

Ever since the Spring Dashboard Update, the Xbox 360 DOES upscale normal DVDs, over VGA and HDMI. I.E., for a normal DVD to display in resolutions up to 1080, you do NOT need an HD-DVD player. Source is over at coldforged.org
http://www.coldforged.org/archives/2...nd-hd-dvd-faq/

Q. Does the Xbox 360 upscale standard DVD movies?

A. Absolutely, but only if you’re using the VGA or HDMI connection. During the so-called “Spring Dashboard Update” Microsoft enabled DVD upscaling over the VGA connection — and upscaling over HDMI has been there since the introduction of the HDMI AV cable — so if you’re using VGA or HDMI you’ll see movies in whatever resolution you’ve set in the dashboard. However, this is only over VGA or HDMI. Also, with Fall Dashboard Update, standard DVD movies will be upscaled to 1080p on displays that support it, again only over the VGA connection or the HDMI connection.

Probably doesn't play R2's or Divx (although now that I think about it there may be an update available to enable Divx compatability, not sure)

Gonna pick me up a cheap upscaling dvd player anyway, it'll probably give better quality playback than the Xbox.
Old 23rd September 2008, 12:38 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Only the 239.99 quid black X 360 is HDMI, the other Grey models have no HDMI socket, only Component for HD Playback.
The grey X360's, 129.99 up , can only Prog Scan outta the box, you have to down load that patch you mentioned Trench.
Its good to see MS has finally added DVD upscaling. When I had mine it only played DVD's , DVD-R's etc in SD but mine was a launch model so im sure the 360 has more features now.

An HD DVD Player Add On was brought out for X360 but is now disconinued due to HD DVD losing the HD Formar war.
Although some shops still have stock the add on, the once 100 quid plus RRP is marked down to 20 to 29 quid depending were you shop.

Good link Trench, one all X360 owners would be advised to check out to make sure their getting the most outta their console.

Last edited by vipco; 23rd September 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 23rd September 2008, 01:29 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

All of the latest xbox 360's come with a hdmi connection, whether it's the Arcade, Pro or Elite. I can speak from first hand experience on the Pro model, I got one a few months ago
Old 27th September 2008, 12:08 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Are you sure Trench,?
According to GAME's Online store the 129 .99 is not HDMI enabled. They claim that only the Black X360 rrp 239.99 is HDMI enabled .

I was actually going to pick up the Arcade model up today if it had upscaling abilites, but I had to leave due to a health problem and couldn't hang around.
To be honest I couldn't really take in to much of what the sales guy was saying as the pain in my leg was increasing by the minute , but I definetly got from him that the entry level Arcade does not have an HDMI port.
I wanted Component connection , as i've only 1 HDMI port on my gaming TV and my PS3 uses that.
I was asking could I still get the Red Green and Blue Component lead and socket for HD gaming as I dont wanna keep changing leads round or have to put the 360 downstais, and he told me thats the only HD lead it uses but you have to buy it seperate as it only comes with a composite scart.
I really had to leave, but on checking GAME's Online store it confirmed that at least 3 of the models are not HDMI compatible .
It would seem the shop's arent fully aware of what each console variant is capacity off yet , though they generally agree that the 2 newest models with the large 100 GB plus hardrives are the only HDMI enabled 360's that they're aware off.

Any one wanting to check the model they plan on buying would be wise to just Google GAME, then click X360 on GAME's Homepage , then Consoles,. You will get a full description of what each console in the 360 range is capibal of, letting you pick which model suits your needs best.

I hope you dont see this as a pop at you Trench as its not.
I would never dream of showing yo disrespect in any way.
Im buying the basic 360 as a second console to my PS3 and wanted to double check it still could use Component leads for Hi Def as my smaller games tv only has 1 HDMI socket, were as my bigger family tv has 2, but thats no good to me as its downstairs. If they were HDMI only then I would have to get a multi socket adopter and they're about 40 odd quid, so that woulda took up all my discount from were I was buying from.
So , as you can see Trench, no pop ment mate.

Last edited by vipco; 27th September 2008 at 10:14 AM.

Like this? Share it using the links below!