Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree63Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th November 2012, 11:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
I was just thinking,maybe the new ram was dead on arrival or badly (cheaply) made?
This could explain a lot...
Yeah, I'd say get them to replace and see if that works as it sounds like everything else is correct. I've never owned a laptop myself but as I opened up my Dads yesterday I have a rough idea I'm more used to swapping parts of my desktop but have never had any problems there. I'd be interested in hearing whether a replacement will work. Was it safely packaged?
Old 21st November 2012, 01:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

99.9% it will be a faulty ram stick in that case.
TheUnknown likes this.
Old 21st November 2012, 04:09 AM
Seasoned Cultist
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Btw my new ram is 1 Gb,my old one 512 Mb but the specs of the laptop say max ram is 2 Gb (2 x 1Gb).
I'm no tech wizard, but don't they have to be equal (2x512M or 2x1G)? I'm probably wrong...
Old 21st November 2012, 12:02 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sobral View Post
I'm no tech wizard, but don't they have to be equal (2x512M or 2x1G)? I'm probably wrong...
Nah, they don't need to be but they tend to perform better in pairs. But this does lead me to want to double check a couple of things with bdc.

bdc - your aren't putting say a 1GB in with a 512mb are you? I'm only asking because I'm sure you mentioned something about putting it in slot 2? or are you trying to create a pair with two 512mb?

p.s. I'm very tired so I've missed something that has already been said forgive me!
Old 21st November 2012, 07:27 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Was it safely packaged?
Yes.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:30 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
Nah, they don't need to be but they tend to perform better in pairs. But this does lead me to want to double check a couple of things with bdc.

bdc - your aren't putting say a 1GB in with a 512mb are you? I'm only asking because I'm sure you mentioned something about putting it in slot 2? or are you trying to create a pair with two 512mb?
Yes I tried putting 1 Gb in slot 1 and 512 Mb in slot 2.
Doesn't that work?
I then just tried 1 Gb in slot 1 with nothing in slot 2 but wouldn't boot either...

I've now ordered the exact same ram as was in there (512 Mb) so I'll get a pair with that I guess. (2x512).
Old 21st November 2012, 08:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Yes I tried putting 1 Gb in slot 1 and 512 Mb in slot 2.
Doesn't that work?
I then just tried 1 Gb in slot 1 with nothing in slot 2 but wouldn't boot either...

I've now ordered the exact same ram as was in there (512 Mb) so I'll get a pair with that I guess. (2x512).
If the 1GB isn't working on its own I would suggest that there is a problem with that.

It's strange that it won't boot with the old and the new one in, even if the new one doesn't work your laptop should still come on but if you looked at the specs it wouldn't find the new memory. I don't know whether this an issue with them not being a matched pair.

Now this could be incorrect but I do believe there can be problems, even if they are the exact manufacturer or pairing RAM up and best to buy in pairs of course no computer people have said that to me so I'm not 100% sure and the only computer book I have to hand is TCP/IP Illustrated which isn't being read

Crucial are usually reliable for memory, I've never bothered with amazon for anything other than external peripherals and video cards.

Crucial

It's a handy site anyway just to be doubly sure you are getting the right thing for your model. It might be worth just calling them and be cheeky by asking them what could be the problem with the one you got from elsewhere.
bdc likes this.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:07 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Thanks for the tip.
I stumbled upon the Crucial site when looking for ram but since they were in the US (just noticed they also have a Eu site and free shipping to Belgium... ) I decided to go with a UK based ram provider (Komputerbay).

My order was fullfilled by Amazon so I guess I could return it without problems?

Going to try that online scan from Crucial now I think.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:16 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Thanks for the tip.
I stumbled upon the Crucial site when looking for ram but since they were in the US (just noticed they also have a Eu site and free shipping to Belgium... ) I decided to go with a UK based ram provider (Komputerbay).

My order was fullfilled by Amazon so I guess I could return it without problems?

Going to try that online scan from Crucial now I think.
Yeah, you should be able to return it, I think when it is fulfilled by Amazon they should operate on the same returns policy. I last upgraded my memory this time last year, got my pair from Crucial fairly cheap, well packaged and no problem!
It is easy to miss though, It automatically comes up with the US site that link before was to the EU site!
bdc likes this.
Old 21st November 2012, 08:21 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

According to the Crucial scan this would be compatible:
Part Number: CT444721
Module Size: 1GB
Package: 200-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR PC2700
Specs: DDR PC2700 • CL=2.5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR333 • 2.5V • 128Meg x 64 •

My non-working 1Gb ram has these specs:
1GB PC2700 DDR SODIMM 333 MHZ LAPTOP RAM
DDR SDRAM (double data rate synchronous dynamic random access memory). Twice the bandwidth of SDRAM. SUPPORTS DUAL CHANNEL . JEDEC standards for speeds of DDR SDRAM.
BRAND NEW 1GB PC2700 Sodimm DDR 333 Mhz Cl 2.5
Lifetime Warranty
COMPATIBLE WITH LAPTOPS

Label on the ram says:1Gb PC2700 DDR 333 Mhz 1024Mb Non ECC LD

Like this? Share it using the links below!