I've owned one of these for years:

WD My Passport Elite 320 GB

Maybe some newer model like this?

http://www.amazon.de/Passport-Ultra-...port+Ultra+500

http://www.amazon.de/Passport-Ultra-...passport+elite
Zann likes this.
Old 22nd January 2014, 06:18 PM
Cult Acolyte

Picked this up today for £35, guy at Clas Ohlson said they would have 1Tb versions later in the year for £45-50, hooked it up and works a treat but my old pet hate rears it's ugly head, out of 500 only 465gig available, I realize it needs head room but 35gig?? Also the light remains on and static even when 'working' so apart from telling you it's connected not much use, just handy to have a blinking light to show it's saving okay, but maybe that's just me. And just like my old Seagate when you first attach it to p.c. the computer must be switched on already, it won't reconize it on power up the first time(that caused much swearing and cursing 4 years ago when I didn't know that)
bdc likes this.
Old 12th March 2014, 06:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Today I updated the firmware on my Sandisk MP3 player with ease, but... promptly lost about 75% of the volume, full level was barely audible outside by the traffic, thought WTF? so went online to read this... "when you update the firmware make sure to set location to 'other' rather than U.S. or Europe as new regulations for personal music players in those areas limit the volume somewhat and can't be overridden in the settings menu" so we're now in the era where we can't walk along with music at our own level, I like mine at about 7/10 with Sony 'phones, not overly loud outside(not anywhere near 'too loud') but limiting it to about 2/10 is laughable.

loved the things since the days of cassette Walkmans but seems the powers that be aren't that keen.
Old 12th March 2014, 08:53 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Can't you do a factory reset?
Old 27th April 2014, 08:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

Re: stupid MP3 volume nonsense, decided to buy a 4gig player as it was on sale new for £10!! so loaded it up with WAV files with ease but... yep, volume so low as to be useless outside, Metallica is just no good if it's so quite you can't hear it over a passing car, it seems that the Euro legislation guff is true, so I had to set the in-built FM radio to U.S. frequency to fool it into giving more volume, the Euro setting gives only 2/3 volume(far too low for outside listening), now I understand that some people(including kids) turn the volume up to full and damage their hearing, but really, volume so low that quite music is virtually silent outside?? Some classical music is simply inaudible in town centres, my mate has a theory that it's more about stopping the annoying 'tizz,tizz-ching,ching' coming from peoples earbuds/headphones in enclosed spaces like public transport and shops than protecting users ears.

As most MP3 players have volume control from 0-30, capping it at 20 while fine for inside use is no good for outside travel (which is what the whole Walkman culture is about) GRRRRR.

for the record I normally have it set at 23-25 outside, great for both classical and harder rock music.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:10 PM
Cult Acolyte

Think you have a big hard drive? Sony have just announced they will market a tape cartridge that holds 185 Terabytes!!, now it's impracticable for home users to have a tape based system but still... I wouldn't mind the bugger sitting in the corner whirring away. Tho slower to access data than HDD, tape is considered the more reliable storage system.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sonytape.jpg (15.9 KB, 1 views)
bdc likes this.
Old 5th May 2014, 09:19 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

A small SSD (120 GB) and a 500 GB external HDD will do for me personally.
Old 2nd August 2020, 09:14 AM
Cult Addict

Not movie related but I ordered this yesterday
Screenshot_20200801_121444_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk
Old 2nd August 2020, 10:27 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Nice, I built a new Windows PC at the start of the lockdown as my iMac was dying right before my eyes! I'm happy that I did because I can actually open programs now without having to go and put the kettle on while I wait

Those of you looking to buy an iMac, they are fantastic, but don't go with the basic configuration, always upgrade the RAM and HD because they're made in a way now that you can't replace any of the parts without taking the screen out of the chassis!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd August 2020, 10:31 AM
Cult Addict

I blame my boss for me buying this, now though I can be part of the pc master race. At least a mate is going to be gifting me a couple of games for it

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

Like this? Share it using the links below!