Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Entertainment > Gaming

Like Tree63Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 19th November 2012, 06:55 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default computer help thread

Thought this could come in handy?

I've got a problem btw,got some new ram today and although it's the same specs (at a first glance,both are ddr1 333 mhz cl 2,5 pc2700 200 pin) as my old ram that was already installed,the laptop refuses to boot.
Even when the new ram is installed on it's own.

Boots fine with my old ram...

Anyone knows why this could be?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19th November 2012, 06:59 PM
Demdike@Cult Labs's Avatar
Cult Emperor
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Lancashire
Default

A great thread idea Bdc.

Sorry i'm unable to help you here though.
bdc likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 19th November 2012, 07:13 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

No problem Dem,I think this may be complicated...
I'm usually good at solving computer problems but not this time...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20th November 2012, 08:09 PM
SharonLynette's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midlands
Blog Entries: 1
Default

I can't help either from here but I'm sure I could fix it if it was in front of me, soz!
bdc likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20th November 2012, 08:54 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Are you a computer wiz then?
Because I certainly could use assistance from time to time.

Think I'm going to send the ram back,since it was "fullfilled by Amazon" this should be no problem I guess (even when the little package was opened?)...since it doesn't work when it really should...

Already ordered exactly the same ram as it had originally installed in slot 1 (same manufacturer and everything) to go in slot 2...of course it's old used ram but I hope this works...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20th November 2012, 10:05 PM
platostotal's Avatar
Cult Acolyte
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Berks.
Default

I'll take a shot, if you mean you have 2 ram slots, and your p.c. Boots o.k. with old ram chipset, after removing the battery try swapping the ram around, also before touching a new chipset ground yourself by touching something metal(damn static), My old toshiba had ram problems due to malware(only read half), needless to say make sure it's solidly connected and the cover is screwed back on before reboot, good luck B, you probably know that already but what the hey.
bdc and SharonLynette like this.
__________________
"Mama... this Cult Labs forum smells of death"
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20th November 2012, 10:06 PM
SharonLynette's Avatar
Cultist on the Rampage
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midlands
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdc View Post
Are you a computer wiz then?
Because I certainly could use assistance from time to time.

Think I'm going to send the ram back,since it was "fullfilled by Amazon" this should be no problem I guess (even when the little package was opened?)...since it doesn't work when it really should...

Already ordered exactly the same ram as it had originally installed in slot 1 (same manufacturer and everything) to go in slot 2...of course it's old used ram but I hope this works...
An unqualified one yes, well a bit of one. I'm a fixer and I like opening things up. Did some bedside repairs on my Dads laptop yesterday, mousepad had stopped working - well it had been disconnected when he had his screen repaired I didn't replace this.

I have a keen interest in computers and the insides of them plus I have just moved from working in libraries to working with computers, well when I finally go back to work I'll be at it full time.
bdc and TheUnknown like this.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 20th November 2012, 10:11 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by platostotal View Post
I'll take a shot, if you mean you have 2 ram slots, and your p.c. Boots o.k. with old ram chipset, after removing the battery try swapping the ram around, also before touching a new chipset ground yourself by touching something metal(damn static), My old toshiba had ram problems due to malware(only read half), needless to say make sure it's solidly connected and the cover is screwed back on before reboot, good luck B, you probably know that already but what the hey.
Thanks for the tip but I tried all different combinationa of new and old ram and just new and old ram.
Only the old ram with nothing in slot 2 boots the laptop.
The other combinations make the laptop start with a flashing light and it just shuts down again (doesn't boot bios).

Maybe there are small differences between both rams that go beyond the ddr1 333 mhz pc2700 200 pin specs?

Btw my new ram is 1 Gb,my old one 512 Mb but the specs of the laptop say max ram is 2 Gb (2 x 1Gb).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 20th November 2012, 10:17 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
An unqualified one yes, well a bit of one. I'm a fixer and I like opening things up. Did some bedside repairs on my Dads laptop yesterday, mousepad had stopped working - well it had been disconnected when he had his screen repaired I didn't replace this.

I have a keen interest in computers and the insides of them plus I have just moved from working in libraries to working with computers, well when I finally go back to work I'll be at it full time.
I also like exploring the inside of my computer.
I just recently got a laptop,always had a desktop (13 years old!) but the power supply seems to have failed and I didn't have one handy...so switched to a back up laptop.
It's been an upgrade from windows 2000 to xp (sp3 fully updated),usb 1 to usb 2 and a more powerful processor.
So I'm actually quite pleased with it.
I'd just like some more ram as it only had 512 Mb installed...

The ram problem still puzzles me,I mailed the seller's tech support with all details of the problem and they just send a pdf return form...

Btw my laptop is a Dell Latitude D600 (don't remember if I mentioned this before).
Bios came updated to the latest version I think (A16)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 20th November 2012, 10:26 PM
bdc's Avatar
bdc bdc is offline
Cult Addict
Good Trader
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Belgium
Default

I was just thinking,maybe the new ram was dead on arrival or badly (cheaply) made?
This could explain a lot...
SharonLynette likes this.
Reply With Quote
Reply  

Like this? Share it using the links below!

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Our goal is to keep Cult Labs friendly. If you feel discouraged from posting by certain members' behaviour then you can e-mail us in complete confidence.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
All forum posts are contributed by members of the site; Cult Labs cannot take responsibility for all content posted on the site. If you have an issue with content posted on the site please click the 'report post' button.
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.