LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th January 2016, 06:00 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Yes, I have.

I think the booklet is actually longer than 40 pages from memory and makes for an interesting read. It even includes some writing from Brooks herself.
Yes it says so on the disc specs.

Looking forward to it. I was torn between the UK release and the US one as that has a short film where she actually speaks on the disc as an extra called Windy Riley Goes to Hollywood.
Old 11th January 2016, 02:07 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Louise Brooks: Looking for Lulu (1998)

A fascinating hour long documentary narrated by Shirley MaClaine about the life and career of Hollywood legend Louise Brooks.

Featuring anecdotes from an archive interview from the 70's with Brooks herself, this is a thoughtful, amusing and occasionally tragic look at how a lifestyle ruined a movie career.

Featuring lots of clips from her films, many of which do not have a home video release and many of them rather rare including her first ever screen appearance and her last role alongside John Wayne in an early western, and interviews with her family, friends, as well as Hollywood stars like Roddy McDowell, make this an essential look at the life of a Hollywood great.

Best quote - "She saw masturbation as an art form"

I have to admit i only saw Louise in a film - Pandora's Box - for the first time two days ago, and i feel completely under her spell. So much so that after watching this doc last night i turned off Argento's Deep Red out of impatience and agitation to watch Pandora's Box again.

This sounds right up my street, is it an extra feature on a DVD or a stand alone release somewhere?
Demoncrat likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th January 2016, 02:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
This sounds right up my street, is it an extra feature on a DVD or a stand alone release somewhere?
It's on the Second Sight Pandora's Box DVD. There is a shorter Turner Classics Movie one on YouTube which is quite interesting as well.

I also want to find an hour later today to watch this BBC Arena one from 1986,

Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 11th January 2016, 02:21 PM
Cult Veteran

That's great thanks Nos! I'll add them on my YouTube 'watch later' so I can watch them on the telly when I get home. Just had a look and I can get the DVD used for around £8.00 so I'll pick that up next week when I have some more money.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 11th January 2016, 02:30 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
That's great thanks Nos! I'll add them on my YouTube 'watch later' so I can watch them on the telly when I get home. Just had a look and I can get the DVD used for around £8.00 so I'll pick that up next week when I have some more money.
If you're very well paid, you could always buy the Criterion Collection release because that also has the documentary in addition to the Lulu in Berlin interview, a choice of four different soundtracks and a commentary by Thomas Elsaesser and Mary Ann Doane and some other interviews.

If I was wealthy, that's the one I'd buy. However, I'm not, so the Second Sight DVD is on my wish list as well.
Justin101 and Demoncrat like this.
Old 11th March 2016, 11:40 PM
Cult Master

i-am-chris-farley.jpg

Just finished watching this great documentary. I have always been a massive fan of Chris Farley. I remember the first time i saw Tommy Boy the guy had me in tears with laughing he was just larger than life and after i saw Black Sheep i knew i had to find out as much as possible about him and thats when i struck gold uncovering his work on Saturday Night Live he was something else and he always over shadowed the other comedians with him in every sketch he did. I was genuinely heart broken when he died i had only known about him for about a year at that stage but his comedy had such a big impact on me.

This doc is really well done with interviews with his brothers co stars on SNL like Mike Myers,Adam Sandler,Tom Arnold,Dan Aykroyd and his very close friend David Spade. It was an emotional ride for me as such a big fan hearing how his friends tried to get him to quit all the substance abuse with alcohol and drugs but that just seemed to be his way everything he did he would do it to the maximum with eating drinking or just his crazy comedy performances. Even more upsetting is the fact that he was such a tortured soul that craved acceptance and to fit in so he seemed to adopt the larger than life persona that made me such a big fan in the first place but then to realise that it was this persona that would eventually take him away from is way way too soon.
Old 15th March 2016, 07:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Probably one of the best and most moving documentary's I have ever seen:

9/11 Jules and Gedeon Naudet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/9/11_(film)
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.
Old 15th April 2016, 06:01 PM
Cult Master

10 Haunting Documentaries That Are Stranger Than Fiction | Mental Floss UK

10 (More) Haunting Documentaries That Are Stranger Than Fiction | Mental Floss UK
Demoncrat and keirarts like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 17th April 2016, 03:45 PM
Cult Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Think I'm drawn to docs with 'charater' more than 'story'. Hence my love for things like King of Kong, Salesman, and American Movie.
American Movie is one of my favourite films. Fairly tragic stuff. If you want more filmmaking stuff, Troma usually have great production documentaries on their DVDs. The making of Poultrygeist is an absolute disaster, so great fun to watch. Overnight, which shows the deal-making behind the making of The Boondock Saints, is brilliant, a great portrait of a first-time director who essentially kills his career right before your eyes. Jodorowsky's Dune is worth a watch as well, showing his doomed effort at making a Dune film. Far too much back-slapping, too many wonky claims about how influential the failed production became for my tastes, but still a good insight into what happens when the production process goes wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Attachment 100687

This is a great documentary. Its very creepy and very very disturbing.
Seconding Cropsey. Seemed a bit cheap, but full of great little details. A great mystery documentary, a bit more dramatic and more in the style of Catfish, is The Imposter. An American family's little kid goes missing in the 80s and then a guy shows up in Spain (I think) claiming to be him. Gets a bit odd. Compelling stuff.

Another very different one, very much a character piece, is a film called The Cruise, the first film by Bennett Miller (Foxcatcher, Moneyball). It's a great little portrait of this really interesting guy who works as a guide on a tour bus in New York.
Old 18th April 2016, 10:34 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All noted. Watched a thing about mountaineers called Meru. (2015). Nutters!!!
6566329 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!