Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 5th June 2016, 05:55 PM
Cultist

Newbie chiming in, just to say thanks for all the great recommendations! I love a good documentary, and even though I'm a huge horror fan I'd say documentaries make up 95% of what I watch on Netflix.

Here's a good one I watched recently (and then found out not long after I watched it that one of the main guys involved in this story lives very close to me . . . and judging from his Facebook posts, he's a racist piece of crap). Anyway, check it out, it's quite fascinating:

Finders Keepers (2015) - IMDb
Justin101 and 6566329 like this.
Old 17th April 2017, 08:09 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Machete Maidens
Electric Boogaloo
Meru
Man Vs Snake
mr 420 and keirarts like this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 17th April 2017, 09:10 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

The real Miyagi, available on Netflix.
"A good fight should be like a small play...but played seriously. When the opponent expands, l contract. When he contracts, l expand. And when there is an opportunity... l do not hit...it hits all by itself."
Old 17th April 2017, 09:33 PM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongfeihung62 View Post
The real Miyagi, available on Netflix.
Watched it last week. Good stuff.
wongfeihung62 likes this.
Old 27th April 2017, 06:56 AM
Cult Rookie

Overnight (2003) The rise and fall of first time director Troy Duffy (Boondock Saints) and why you don't want to make enemies with Harvey Weinstein.

Room 237 (2012) Fascinating doco about the symbolism and hidden meanings in Stanley Kubrick's The Shining (1980).

Crazy Love (2007) A bizarre love story.

Henry Darger (2004) A documentary on Henry Darger, visionary artist, janitor, and novelist.

Gimme Shelter (1970) The Stones free concert in Altamont which resulted in a number of fatalities including the shocking death of an African American man (Meredith Hunter) who was stabbed and beaten to death by Hell's Angels which was caught on camera.

The Jinx: The Life and Deaths of Robert Durst (2015) 6 part series about real estate icon Robert Durst and how he has been linked to a series of unsolved crimes
Old 25th June 2017, 04:23 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Becoming Bond (2016, Josh Greenbaum)
Docudrama about the Lazenby. Well, he chats and then we get filmed inserts illustrating his spiel.
Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 7th March 2018, 08:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Respectable: The Mary Millington Story.
From her meteoric rise to her tragic end ... it's all more or less here. As far as the contemporaries are saying anyhow ... Recommended nonetheless.
nosferatu42 likes this.

[B]
Old 13th March 2018, 08:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017, Alexandra Dean)
As far as I can see Hollywood's hypocritical obssession with the appearance of 'propriety' is as old as those thar hills ahem.
Little good it does them it seems. A tale of heartbreak, 'sleaze' and drugs if you want, but also a story of a woman used up by the studio system seemingly for possessing some intelligence.

[B]
Old 13th March 2018, 09:00 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default What Documentaries Do You Recommend?

Not sure if i’ve mentioned this one before, but I can’t recommend enough the 2008 documentary Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father, which starts out as a man’s attempt to make a film to show to his friends son when he grows up, after his friend was murdered. He interviews friends and family so Zachary will learn about the father he never knew, before it turns into a sort of true crime documentary. It’s one of the most shocking things i’ve ever seen.

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 13th March 2018 at 09:33 PM.
Old 13th March 2018, 09:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Oooh sold. Noted.
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!