Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12th November 2022, 11:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I'm currently watching The History Of Metal And Horror, which so far is a lot of the usual suspects eulogising about their favourites, but it does have Gunnar and Sid Haig in it as well, which is nice. 100 mins. Recommended.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 13th November 2022, 08:26 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
The Velvet Underground (2021, Todd Haynes)

Starts well but then starts to skimp a bit towards the end (cough). Maureen and Jonathan Richman being the highlights of the interviews for me. I will watch it again certainly.
FINALLY got around to watching this one, I commend the film making, it's an interesting way to present a doc, but not being at all familiar with The Velvet Underground & Nico I found it only moderately engaging.

I'm on a roll, might get around to watching Gimme Danger now as well

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th November 2022, 08:43 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

All four records (I do not count Squeeze as a VU album .... not on my watch etc) are lovely in their own way, and are all very different ahem)

GD is more of a "story" due to what happened to them all. Enjoy!
Justin101 likes this.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 28th November 2022, 09:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Who Killed The KLF? (2021, Chris Atkins)

The unauthorised tale as told by the men themselves
Somewhat less unsettling than the last thing I watched, we meet arch prankster Bill Drummond doing what he does best, pissing folk off
Make what you will about this one. You may just dislike the music and consider the rest of it a nonsense. Whatever. At least they did it all out in the open.

Got around to this one, it’s been sitting there for ages waiting for me to watch. It was all fun until the last bit when it got to the sad bit of the story. I remember clear as day buying Last Train to Trancentral in Woolies on 7”

Was good to see that bit of footage from from their book launch at News From Nowhere the alternative bookshop here in Liverpool. Bought many a book in there from the lovely women!

My favourite bit was them chartering all of the music press in London to the Isle of Jura for a performance art and a tin full of ecstasy haha. Noise complaints from neighbouring islands!

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 21st February 2023, 08:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

We Are The League (2018, George Hencken)

This came my way, so gave it a go, this being a history of the Anti-Nowhere League. You might not know the name, but Metallica covered one of their songs ahem ....
Watch some school mates form a band, get some success, lose the plot and finally gain some perspective. The music is what it is. I did laugh uproariously at the later part as they really fcuk it up royally.
Recommended? Hmmmm. Watch the trailer ...

[B]
Old 10th March 2023, 05:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Meet Me In The Bathroom (2022, Dylan Southern/ Will Lovelace)

Tis about the resurgence of the New York scene, Strokes, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, LCD Soundsystem etc. Would have liked at least some Liars footage, but that's life ahem.

[B]
Old 11th March 2023, 07:34 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The Insatiable Ones (2018)

Comprehensive overview of Suede. Features all the main players.
Having seen them a few times, I sort of know what to expect, the new album did grow on me etc ....

[B]
Old 12th March 2023, 01:38 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Currently watching Rollerblade Seven - The Unseen Scenes, a lovely trip into another world. I do get the feeling that Scott Shaw has some self awareness due to parts of his "commentary" ahem. This is the kind of dreck that I love.
What prompted this revisitation into Zen Cinema?
The bloody news that they are remaking The bloody Room ffs ... with Bob Odenkirk.
Hopefully it will all turn out to be a Mr Show reboot tee hee.

[B]
Old 15th March 2023, 07:49 AM
Cult Master

MV5BYjg0MzY4OTgtMzgxNy00OWM3LWFjMmQtODVlNDQ1Njg5MzcyXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTA4NTQwNjY4._V1_FMjpg_UX100.jpg

I watched the first 3 of this 4 part series on YouTube last night it really is great stuff
Yes I know the stories but when you hear it from the actual people invovked it makes it even better. There are a few things I didn't know anything about and there were a couple of people who's side of events I never heard. It's almost 3 hours long but it's well worth a watch if you have an interest in Black Metal.

I always find the story of Dead very sad a tragic the man really embodied Black Metal he lived it it wasn't an act but he needed help and Euronymous prayed on his weakness and he depression and we all know what happened after he took his own life.

Watching this took me back to when I discovered Black Metal the rawness the danger of it all yes It was after all this I would of been 10 when this was all kicking off but it still holds up today when I listen to those old Black Metal records yes there is some great stuff out there today but these records just hit me different.

Anyway enough pleasuring myself to the olden days the documentary is great

Just a heads up the sound fades a few times but it's all in Norwegian so it's subtitles and you won't miss anything .
Old 15th March 2023, 09:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Noted!!

[B]

Like this? Share it using the links below!