Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th April 2015, 06:44 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Cheers B_E they all sound like a must watch especially Las Hurdes.
Las Hurdes is certainly to an acquired taste... however, if you are you familiar with the surreal nature of some of Bunuel's work then you should take this in your stride.
Old 8th April 2015, 06:58 AM
Cult Master

I watched I Think We're Alone Now and Exit Through The Gift Shop last night.

The Tiffany Doc was just tragic and from seeing some of her. Other fans at the beach gig it would seem like it was not just the two main people in the doc are a tad obsessed with her. I love her down to her bone marrow was a line that set the tone early on for me.

The Banksy doc was a great and very interesting watch. You gotta hand it to the French guy he seems to have made it big with his lack of artistic skill or know how even if he his just ripping everyone else's art off.
Old 8th April 2015, 07:21 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Any recommendations for some creepy docs not just horror related but documentaries that really stick with you.
Lots of good suggestions already here. I'll suggest a few that, while not necessarily creepy, will certainly make their presence felt long after your initial viewing.

Night And Fog, 1955

A short doc that examines Nazi death camps with no restraint for depicting the horrors that occurred there.

Dark Days, 2000

This is about a community of homeless people living in the underground abandoned train tunnels in NYC. Very revealing and often evokes feeling of empathy.

Man On Wire, 2008

This documentary goes into great detail in chronicling Philippe Petit's dangerous 1974 World Trade Center high wire stunt from the preparations to the actual execution of the stunt itself. I still cannot believe how he managed to pull it off.

I have also heard good things about Titicut Follies but I haven't had the chance to give it a look.
Old 8th April 2015, 07:31 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonknight View Post
The Grim Sleeper, directed by Nick Broomfield; I think, but don't quote me.
Sounds good, has this had a release yet??
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2015, 08:19 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx_Barkman View Post
Lots of good suggestions already here. I'll suggest a few that, while not necessarily creepy, will certainly make their presence felt long after your initial viewing.

Night And Fog, 1955

A short doc that examines Nazi death camps with no restraint for depicting the horrors that occurred there.

Dark Days, 2000

This is about a community of homeless people living in the underground abandoned train tunnels in NYC. Very revealing and often evokes feeling of empathy.

Man On Wire, 2008

This documentary goes into great detail in chronicling Philippe Petit's dangerous 1974 World Trade Center high wire stunt from the preparations to the actual execution of the stunt itself. I still cannot believe how he managed to pull it off.

I have also heard good things about Titicut Follies but I haven't had the chance to give it a look.
Is Titicut Follies about the criminally insane.
keirarts likes this.
Old 8th April 2015, 09:27 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Is Titicut Follies about the criminally insane.
Sort of, it is more about the systematic abuse of patients.
Old 8th April 2015, 09:31 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly View Post
Sort of, it is more about the systematic abuse of patients.
Is it a hard watch?
Old 8th April 2015, 09:42 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Is it a hard watch?
Sounds it from what I just read about it. I'm now not sure if I have seen it or it is one of those films I have read so much about it feels like I have seen it!
Old 8th April 2015, 09:57 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Titticut Follies is set in Bridgewater State Hospital for the criminally insane, a term we don't use any more as it's not PC... it was directed by Frederick Wiseman and filmed by John Marshall.

Before it was shown, Massachusetts tried and won an injunction to stop it being shown on grounds that the film violated the patients' privacy and dignity.Although Wiseman received permission from all the people portrayed or the hospital superintendent (their legal guardian) it was on very shaky ground legally.

It was pulled from distribution by the Judge and for years could only be seen by doctors, lawyers, judges, health-care professionals, social workers, and students in these and related fields.

It's not quite what I expected. Filmed in stark black and white with the echos of madness present on the soundtrack, it makes for uncomfortable but not shocking, viewing. There is a lot of verbal abuse, threats of violence and intimidation by the guards, forced feeding and general neglect of duty. The lack of any dignity and respect is appalling, not only to the patients involved but to their families as well. One scene that sticks in my mind is of a guard feeding a patient with a fag hanging out of his mouth and the ash falling into his gruel, the guard doesn't miss a beat as he spoons it into the patients mouth.

It is a damning expose of institutions in the 1960's and an important document in its own right. Personally I don't believe it is exploitive but others would argue otherwise with perhaps pertinent issues. Still very difficult to get hold off and not cheap when you do.

You can get it here; Zipporah Films Titicut Follies
Old 8th April 2015, 10:10 AM
Cult Master

Cheers Boo.
Boo Radley likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!