Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions

Like Tree642Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th April 2015, 10:14 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

It's coming out via Shout Factory as a 4 disc set.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:15 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It's coming out via Shout Factory as a 4 disc set.
Cheers Dem, might have to pick it up.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:33 PM
Cult Master

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone
Old 7th April 2015, 10:42 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

A few documentary recommendations from me...

The Bridge - despite the morbid subject (exploring the back stories of those throwing themselves off Golden Gate Bridge over a 12 month period), this is a compelling and, at times, ironically life affirming documentary. There is still something strange and disturbing about watching the real-life emotional turmoil of someone making the last decision they'll ever take but there's no denying the power of this documentary.

Best Worst Movie - the story behind the supposed worst movie ever made, 'Troll 2' (for the record, I have seen much worse!). Good-humoured and entertaining, this is one of the best films about a film I have seen! The scenes featuring Claudio Fragasso, who clearly doesn't get the 'joke', are priceless.

I think We're Alone Now - a sobering study of obsession, with the fact that the subject of this obsession is 80s singer Tiffany adding to the absurdity!! The 2 individuals covered in this film undoubtedly have a multitude of psychological issues, which makes this feel a bit voyeuristic at times but it's still an absorbing account about the way obsessions, no matter how 'ridiculous' they may seem to the outside world, can dominate lives.

Murder on a Sunday Morning - a wonderful documentary exposing corruption in the American legal system, this covers the arrest and trial of an innocent black teenager for the murder of a tourist in Florida. This is really edge-of-the-seat stuff throughout.

... there are many more but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind!
Old 7th April 2015, 10:44 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
The Bridge - despite the morbid subject (exploring the back stories of those throwing themselves off Golden Gate Bridge over a 12 month period), this is a compelling and, at times, ironically life affirming documentary. There is still something strange and disturbing about watching the real-life emotional turmoil of someone making the last decision they'll ever take but there's no denying the power of this documentary.
I was just about to recommend this one too.
Sam likes this.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:53 PM
Cult Master

I watched The Bridge a few years back very touching and disturbing at the same time. I was in shock when I saw the first guy jump I only came across it by chance so I didnt know what to expect I certainly didnt expect to see people in the act. One I would not watch again it just hit me too much on a personal level.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Some recommendations from me:

Exit Through the Gift Shop - The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend the infamous street artist 'Banksy', only to have the artist turn the camera back on himself. If you're into urban/installation art in any way (or even if you aren't) this is a fairly interesting watch.

F for Fake - A documentary about fraud and fakery hosted by Orson Welles.

Haxan - A documentary about the history of witchcraft, told in a variety of styles, from illustrated slideshow to dramatised events of alleged real-life events, right up to the early twentieth century (when the film was made). A personal favourite of mine.

The Hellstrom Chronicle - A scientist explains how the savagery and efficiency of the insect world could result in their taking over the world... more of a docu-drama.

Las Hurdes - A surrealistic documentary portrait of the region of Las Hurdes, a remote region of Spain where civilisation has barely developed, showing how the local peasants try to survive without even the most basic utilities and skills.

Wisconsin Death Trip - An intimate, shocking and sometimes hilarious account of the disasters that befell one small town in Wisconsin during the final decade of the 19th century.

Honourable mention: Threads - A dramatisation of the probable consequences of a full scale nuclear war on an English community told in a pseudo-documentary style. One of the most horrific and powerful pieces of film-making I have ever seen.
Old 7th April 2015, 10:54 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
A few documentary recommendations from me...

Best Worst Movie - the story behind the supposed worst movie ever made, 'Troll 2' (for the record, I have seen much worse!). Good-humoured and entertaining, this is one of the best films about a film I have seen! The scenes featuring Claudio Fragasso, who clearly doesn't get the 'joke', are priceless.

I think We're Alone Now - a sobering study of obsession, with the fact that the subject of this obsession is 80s singer Tiffany adding to the absurdity!! The 2 individuals covered in this film undoubtedly have a multitude of psychological issues, which makes this feel a bit voyeuristic at times but it's still an absorbing account about the way obsessions, no matter how 'ridiculous' they may seem to the outside world, can dominate lives.

Murder on a Sunday Morning - a wonderful documentary exposing corruption in the American legal system, this covers the arrest and trial of an innocent black teenager for the murder of a tourist in Florida. This is really edge-of-the-seat stuff throughout.

... there are many more but these are the ones that immediately spring to mind!
Thanks a million for these ill check them out
Old 7th April 2015, 10:58 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Some recommendations from me:

Exit Through the Gift Shop - The story of how an eccentric French shop keeper and amateur film maker attempted to locate and befriend the infamous street artist 'Banksy', only to have the artist turn the camera back on himself. If you're into urban/installation art in any way (or even if you aren't) this is a fairly interesting watch.

F for Fake - A documentary about fraud and fakery hosted by Orson Welles.

Haxan - A documentary about the history of witchcraft, told in a variety of styles, from illustrated slideshow to dramatised events of alleged real-life events, right up to the early twentieth century (when the film was made). A personal favourite of mine.

The Hellstrom Chronicle - A scientist explains how the savagery and efficiency of the insect world could result in their taking over the world... more of a docu-drama.

Las Hurdes - A surrealistic documentary portrait of the region of Las Hurdes, a remote region of Spain where civilisation has barely developed, showing how the local peasants try to survive without even the most basic utilities and skills.

Wisconsin Death Trip - An intimate, shocking and sometimes hilarious account of the disasters that befell one small town in Wisconsin during the final decade of the 19th century.

Honourable mention: Threads - A dramatisation of the probable consequences of a full scale nuclear war on an English community told in a pseudo-documentary style. One of the most horrific and powerful pieces of film-making I have ever seen.
Cheers B_E they all sound like a must watch especially Las Hurdes.
Old 8th April 2015, 01:22 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

The Grim Sleeper, directed by Nick Broomfield; I think, but don't quote me.
keirarts and Nordicdusk like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!