Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Buboven 18th May 2015 05:15 PM

Was going to buy The Reptile in HMV but the cheeky buggers were asking 19 quid for it when its on Amazon for 7 quid!

DaveH 18th May 2015 06:36 PM

Todays arrivals, all Blu-ray
Madman
John Q
Outland
and Spartacus the complete collection

JoshuaKaitlyn 18th May 2015 08:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And another two:
Attachment 163877 Attachment 163878

Inspector Abberline 18th May 2015 08:22 PM

What Have You Bought Recently?

4 Attachment(s)
What Have You Bought Recently?

iank 19th May 2015 08:45 AM

Blu's:

Bought from JB:

The Italian Job (69)
Highlander
The Untouchables

Arrived:

The Eagle Has Landed

J Harker 19th May 2015 09:42 AM

Just picked these up in Sainsburies
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...2098040d89.jpg

Frankenhooker 19th May 2015 11:01 AM

Picked up The Lost Boys and Saw III in the pound shop and Foxcatcher and A Most Violent Year in HMV, the latter is absolutely superb in my opinion, can see it becoming a future classic when it finally finds its audience.

I've also just ordered The Sister of Ursula after finding out my local HMV weren't stocking it.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2015 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 450217)
Foxcatcher and A Most Violent Year in HMV, the latter is absolutely superb in my opinion, can see it becoming a future classic when it finally finds its audience.

I saw both at the cinema and thought they were brilliant (A Most Violent Year has been sent by Amazon rental) so will probably buy them at some point. Were they marked as 2 for £25?

Frankenhooker 19th May 2015 12:10 PM

No, they weren't mate.

monkeypedro 19th May 2015 12:25 PM

I noticed last night that the blu-ray of A Most Dangerous Year is only £10 in Sainsburys so might pick it up later.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2015 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frankenhooker (Post 450222)
No, they weren't mate.

Oh well. It's probably because they were only released this week. Maybe they'll be in the 2 for £25 section/deal in a fortnight or so. I have loads to watch, so I can wait.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 19th May 2015 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeypedro (Post 450223)
I noticed last night that the blu-ray of A Most Dangerous Year is only £10 in Sainsburys so might pick it up later.

I'll have a look in the big Sainsbury's in town and see if it's there and, if so, I'll get it there and earn some Nectar points.

Bringer Of Funerals 19th May 2015 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 450101)

Gotta love the big Van

Nordicdusk 19th May 2015 03:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 163890

platostotal 19th May 2015 05:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picked this 8 episode dvd in CEX for £1.50, a nice fun anime series (Cowboy Bebop in style)

trebor8273 19th May 2015 07:45 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Been given these

Attachment 163924
Attachment 163926
Attachment 163927
Attachment 163928
Attachment 163929
Attachment 163930

keirarts 19th May 2015 09:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 163947

Jumble sale.... 10p. About what its worth but thought i'd stick it up on the shelf next to my nasties or perhaps with the fiction end of my book collection.

PaulD 19th May 2015 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 450323)
Attachment 163947

Jumble sale.... 10p. About what its worth but thought i'd stick it up on the shelf next to my nasties or perhaps with the fiction end of my book collection.

Cool find!

JoshuaKaitlyn 20th May 2015 03:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
from the recent competition went with the reverse artwork
Attachment 163955
Thanks Kyle

demonknight 20th May 2015 04:35 PM

The Exorcist III in HD from Warner Bros.

J Harker 20th May 2015 05:10 PM

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...8cf5a842f7.jpg
OUATIA Steelbook turned up today. Remarkably quick time from Amazon. Picked up The Mummy's Shroud in Forbidden Planet in Bristol after my sons hospital appointment this morning.
Incidentally the Steelbook is a 2 Disc set containing both cuts of the movie as I'd hoped. Seems to be the only way to get both cuts of the film in one set.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 20th May 2015 05:53 PM

I received these in the mail today:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...ps8uzbcxhb.jpg

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psyklbfhym.jpg

Wraggadam 20th May 2015 05:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 163958

This winging its way to me now. Just finishing up nightmare on elm street blu collection. This should arrive on time for me to continue with my '80/90's' horror movie a night binge. Next up may be the Chucky blu collection. Turning 30 yesterday has made me nostalgic for my youth again.

Watching them has made me realise that even the worst of some of these sequels (Freddys Dead) are still 10 times more fun than some of the tedium we get today (I'm looking at you 'woman in black')

Jani 21st May 2015 08:47 AM

Made my order on Camera Obscura's La Corta Notte delle Bambole di Vetro (aka Short Night of Glass Dolls) because I think the Aldo Lado film is quite effective and haunting social commentary.However, Camera Obscura had this to say about the transfer on their facebook page: "...it's not comparable with our previous HD transfers.One reason for this is that Aldo Lado shot the film very soft to create a dreamlike atmosphere (...).The second, real problem was that the negative was extremely destroyed -- which is something we would never have thought possible, and if it wouldn't have been Short Night, we might not even have bought the license.(...) About half the material was moldy.In short, we basically had to take the whole film apart and put it back together in order to get a presentable result.(...) I think the result came out as very watchable, though!"
This is too bad, but I'm certainly happy they made the effort for restoration.Maybe I'll comment more on this topic when the disc arrives, if anyone's interested that is.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st May 2015 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jani (Post 450576)
Maybe I'll comment more on this topic when the disc arrives, if anyone's interested that is.

I for one certainly am. :nod:

I read about the ordeal that CO went through restoring this one the other day.

Additional info for those interested:

Quote:

Originally Posted by KowalskiVideo via Blu-ray.com
This was posted today at Dirty Pictures by "the other-guy" (the tech-guy, i suppose) from Camera Obscura after a user said the screencaps they provived for the transfer of Malastrana looked very soft, washed-out and unnatural (read about it here: https://www.facebook.com/CameraObscu...36392496396332 ). Like the pictures was scrubbed and artifical grain was insterted afterwards. Thats what CO said:

Re: MALASTRANA - Aldo Lado (IGCC Nr. 18) : Camera Obscura Filmdistribution - Seite 4

This is a manually-corrected auto-translation, hope you can follow:

Quote:

Our approach for all our transfers is always this: raw scan from a Lab we trust in Italy, colortimed, no "hard" color correction. Scan is sent to germany, to a lab we trust, dirt is removed with light autocorrection (and no, the grain will not be touched), transfer comes to me, I'm doing things by hand that are not fixable with Autoclean, frame by frame. For Malastrana 3,5 weeks, with 8 to 10 hours of work per day. Would normally have been priceless, but i "sacrifice" myself for the art. I personally do not like dirt, that's why I'm removing it. After that, comes the color correction. For Malastrana some more work was done at our German lab, which I could not/did not want to do here. Namely, removing part of the mold, which was removable without using manual retouching. For this part, we freezed frames for static scenes, in which only one person or nothing moves. As a result the grain is frozen of course. The remaining mold stains, I have as best I could, removed by hand, also grain was destroyed during this. Mostly the first frame has been replaced after cut with the third frame of the scene, if the scene was static and the (first) frame was heavily damaged. Moreover, came millions of tiny dust defects, small scratches, etc., which also has not catched by the automatic cleaning. Again, I removed the scratches as best i could. In the end everything was a patchwork of various restoration techniques from which a partially frozen, partially holey etc. grain, plus the remnants of the very fine mold spores, you simply can not clean by hand. All this did not look nice, so we decided to do what we would never do otherwise, and have therefore been never done: Digital grain reduction and afterwards artificial grain reinserted to have homogeneity. The tools for this are professional tools and work very well. What you call as digital mush, is actually analogous mush, because the scenes (focus) are just relatively soft. Since I became a father a week ago and just manage only 10% of my normal daily workload, I just do not feel like to present any evidence - sorry. Maybe in a few days time, but my priority is now changing diapers and trying at the moment, alongside yet to earn a bit of money.

I can't see any other company tackling this one anytime soon (or if they do I can't see them going to the trouble that CO have obviously gone to) so I will more than likely order this one. :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2015 10:27 AM

I'm also interested in what you have to say because it's a film I rate highly and a release I would like very much.

Paul@TheOverlook 21st May 2015 10:29 AM

Camera Obscura is a great label - really goes out of its way to unearth stuff that others wouldn't release.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st May 2015 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook (Post 450586)
Camera Obscura is a great label - really goes out of its way to unearth stuff that others wouldn't release.

Indeed. They're very consistent in respect to the high quality of their releases too.

gag 21st May 2015 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took a few loose odds and ends down to my local exchange dvd shop and got these. Would have paid £16 in total if i had bought them in cash

Demdike@Cult Labs 21st May 2015 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 450601)
Took a few loose odds and ends down to my local exchange dvd shop and got these. Would have paid £16 in total if i had bought them in cash

A couple of goodies there Gag, namely BBS and Creepshow 2.

Unfortunately i thought Five Across the Eyes was almost unwatchable. A car full of girls yelling at each other for ninety minutes...and that's it.

gag 21st May 2015 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 450604)
A couple of goodies there Gag, namely BBS and Creepshow 2.

Unfortunately i thought Five Across the Eyes was almost unwatchable. A car full of girls yelling at each other for ninety minutes...and that's it.

Bss and creepshow are only 2 ive seen rest i took a gamble on.

demonknight 21st May 2015 04:52 PM

The Vault of Horror in HD from Spain.

trebor8273 21st May 2015 05:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 164019

Attachment 164020

Attachment 164021

Attachment 164022

Attachment 164023

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st May 2015 06:35 PM

These two BDs arrived today:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psvb7iggsg.jpg

I switched the sleeve on Mean Streets to the original artwork, which I've always loved. It was a tough decision because the new design is excellent.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...psoxgi9adw.jpg

keirarts 21st May 2015 07:46 PM

Arrow have confirmed HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES as shipping.

Diabolik order of Vampyros lesbos and she killed in ecstasy both turned up today. Diabolik also confirmed shipment of Grindhouse releasing Cannibal ferox and gone with the pope.

As to the prior comments on Camera Obsucra, While I mostly avoid the German market unless I have to, I do enjoy their stuff. No overpriced hardboxes or variant covers just good solid releases. Shall be picking up the next lot of their stuff next diabolik order :nod:

keirarts 22nd May 2015 06:55 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Attachment 164075 Attachment 164076

J Harker 22nd May 2015 12:41 PM

Pick up in CEX
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05...4462c8f3fc.jpg

Frankenhooker 22nd May 2015 01:03 PM

Picked up season one (only season?) of The Lone Gunmen in CEX for £12.

Nordicdusk 22nd May 2015 02:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 164077

Can't wait to watch this tonight love this film.

Demdike@Cult Labs 22nd May 2015 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nordicdusk (Post 450809)
Attachment 164077

Can't wait to watch this tonight love this film.

At least from this pic you seem to be in your living room and not sat on the bog. :tongue1: