Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Daemonia 10th December 2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 115999)
Good buys!! Is Cujo Region A locked or not?? Very interested in buying that!

Have heard bad things about the Friday 13th part 3 transfer compared to the previous 2. Let us know what you make of it if you would ;)

Cujo is region-free. I know this for defnite as it plays in my Region B player just fine. Lovely transfer too - it never looked this good at the cinema when it first came out! Well worth picking up.

Friday the 13th Part 3 has lovely clarity with solid blacks and crisp colours. However, they've not bothered to celan up the print in any way, which is kind of silly. At one point there were spots and blotches over the screen. There's scratches, blemishes and hairs. Granted, for the greater part of the film it looks perfectly fine. But just when you think 'Oooh that looks superb' up pops a scratch, some dirt or a blemish and it's jarring and makes you go 'Urgh!' I have no doubt that Paramount will milk this cash cow again at some point with a sparkly new 'restored' transfer.

Daemonia 10th December 2010 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 116047)
Anyone who has any reservations about PEEPING TOM BTW-Don't classy transfer for one of the all time classics.:nod:

Cheers for the heads up, Reaps. I was waiting to see what the consensus here was, so I'll go ahead and order a copy now.

I tend to not go by reviews anymore. Reviews of Warners Under Siege said it was a sub-par transfer - I thought it looked absolutely stunning. The level of detail in some scenes was breathtaking. Ignore the naysayers on this one.

Inspector Tanzi 10th December 2010 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 116282)
Cujo is region-free. I know this for defnite as it plays in my Region B player just fine. Lovely transfer too - it never looked this good at the cinema when it first came out! Well worth picking up.

Is it uncut? The first time I ever saw Cujo was on tv and there was quite a long sex scene in it, hasn't been in any other version I have seen.

Stephen@Cult Labs 10th December 2010 05:02 PM

Got Dead Cert starring Craig Fairbrass the other day....wasn't too bad :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th December 2010 11:12 PM

I wasn't too keen on it when I was sent a disc for review but I'll watch it again and see if the second viewing changes or affirms my opinion.

gag 11th December 2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 116067)
yep off ebay...from this seller, used him before and he's pretty good...

APRILFUNK - POSSESSION DVD

I always go for the korean release if Either R1 or UK R2 are a bit to pricey.

Managed to get The Beyond, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Ilsa: She wolf of the SS, La Femme Nikita, Streets Of Fire and Beastmaster off him and they've all been decent dvds...check out his store

Ive had a browse on his site looks good and cheep as well. come new yr might start ordering weekly off him..

Pete 11th December 2010 12:54 PM

TOKYO GORE POLICE
THE SOLDIER
AMAZING TRANSPLANT - R1
SEED OF CHUCKY
GOREHOUSE GREATS COLLECTION - R1
ASSASSINATION (Bronson) - R1
BLASTFIGHTER (small hardbox)
SINNER (Jess Franco) - R1
BEYOND EVIL (Vipco VHS)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th December 2010 05:13 PM

Picked up the LETHAL WEAPON collection yesterday.:cool:

Best of all though-Managed to get a SHOGUN ASSASSIN tin,which features the original poster art on the reverse once you peel the synopsis off.:cool:

It also includes the standard DVD.;)

A must have!:woot:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 11th December 2010 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 116283)
Cheers for the heads up, Reaps. I was waiting to see what the consensus here was, so I'll go ahead and order a copy now.

I tend to not go by reviews anymore. Reviews of Warners Under Siege said it was a sub-par transfer - I thought it looked absolutely stunning. The level of detail in some scenes was breathtaking. Ignore the naysayers on this one.

Honestly mate-you won't be disappointed.;)

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th December 2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 116488)
Picked up the LETHAL WEAPON collection yesterday.:cool:

Best of all though-Managed to get a SHOGUN ASSASSIN tin,which features the original poster art on the reverse once you peel the synopsis off.:cool:

Go on Reaps, be like me and also get the separate Lethal Weapon releases so you can have the nice original poster artwork adorning the covers! I must be mad!!! :lol:

And yes, the Shogun Assassin steelbook is a beauty.

bdc 11th December 2010 09:30 PM

Picked up this R2 (DFW) 5 disc box at a local shop for 10 Euro (new). :)

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/8...hqyokioevo.jpg

Inspector Tanzi 11th December 2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingofwitches666 (Post 116261)
I've also just noticed the dvd is rated 15 as is the documentary disc. But the Blu disc is rated 18. Maybe it's because of the extras?

I was hoping it was an 18 rating because they'd reinstated the neck stabbing that they cut in order to get a 15 rating for the cinema.

The blu ray as you say has the neck stabbing reinstated, the dvd for some reason is the cut cert 15 cinema print.

Though not through censorship there was a similar incident with Law Abiding Citizen, only the blu ray got the longer cut of the film.

Gojirosan 11th December 2010 11:09 PM

Hercules And The Captive Women + Hercules Prisoner Of Evil (Retromedia, R1)
Giallo (Maya Entertainment, R1)
M.D.C The Wax Mask (Film 2000)
Wolf Creek (Optimum Blu-Ray B)
Storm Warning (Optimum)
All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (Optimum)
Chupacabra (Hard Gore)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 116067)
yep off ebay...from this seller, used him before and he's pretty good...

APRILFUNK - POSSESSION DVD

I always go for the korean release if Either R1 or UK R2 are a bit to pricey.

Managed to get The Beyond, Zombie Flesh Eaters, Ilsa: She wolf of the SS, La Femme Nikita, Streets Of Fire and Beastmaster off him and they've all been decent dvds...check out his store

AprilFunk is great, bought a few things from him.

Inspector Tanzi 12th December 2010 12:46 AM

Frozen - (which I won on here) Quite a good little film, every once in a while something a little different pops up that is worth checking out, this is one of them films.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...ra2/frozen.jpg

nekromantik 12th December 2010 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 116557)
Frozen - (which I won on here) Quite a good little film, every once in a while something a little different pops up that is worth checking out, this is one of them films.

http://i437.photobucket.com/albums/q...ra2/frozen.jpg

I loved it!
I need to pick it up soon.
hopefully price drops on boxing day sales.

Daemonia 12th December 2010 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 116296)
Is it uncut? The first time I ever saw Cujo was on tv and there was quite a long sex scene in it, hasn't been in any other version I have seen.

Hmmm....now I'm not sure on that one. Various reviews and DVD Compare suggest that it's the complete version, but that's no guarantee it is. I always thought the sex scene was stronger, as the version I saw at the cinema seemed to dwell on this scene in greater detail. But my memory ain't what it used to be, so I can't really give a definitive answer to this question.

Anyone else know?

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th December 2010 11:54 AM

I reviewed the DVD and was really impressed by the movie and now have the Blu-ray which contains an extra commentary track and some additional extras so I shall watch that in the next day or two and probably put a review of that one up as well.

Argentofan 12th December 2010 12:01 PM

Twin Peaks season 1
Labyrinth
Conan The Barbarian
Rambo
Basic Instinct
Once Upon A Time In America

Pete 12th December 2010 01:02 PM

ONE DOWN, TWO TO GO (Fred Williamson) - Italian Storemovie release.

gag 12th December 2010 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 116582)
Twin Peaks season 1
Labyrinth
Conan The Barbarian
Rambo
Basic Instinct
Once Upon A Time In America

If thats labyrinth with David Bowie, I think its a gr8 family musical film..

Argentofan 12th December 2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 116596)
If thats labyrinth with David Bowie, I think its a gr8 family musical film..

It is. :D
I used to have it on video and it's a favourite of mine so I found it cheap and thought it was time to retire my old VHS.

pedromonkey 12th December 2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 116599)
I used to have it on video and it's a favourite of mine so I found it cheap and thought it was time to retire my old VHS.

love Labyrinth, to behonest i love anything made by Henson Studios and the fact it was written by Terry Jones Of monty Python fame. Ive just found out im getting it on Blu-ray for Christmas.

Argentofan, if you like Labyrinth you should check out Princess Bride, awesome fantasy Comedy with Carey Elwes of Saw Fame.

Argentofan 12th December 2010 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 116600)
love Labyrinth, to behonest i love anything made by Henson Studios and the fact it was written by Terry Jones Of monty Python fame. Ive just found out im getting it on Blu-ray for Christmas.

Argentofan, if you like Labyrinth you should check out Princess Bride, awesome fantasy Comedy with Carey Elwes of Saw Fame.

Bet it looks good on Blu ray. :D

I'll check that out, thanks ped :D

gag 12th December 2010 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argentofan (Post 116599)

Ive still got loads of videos. They are all down and mums in her attic,
I realy need to sort them out and decide whats worth keeping or binning

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th December 2010 04:29 PM

The postie came today (yes, a Sunday) and brought:
Videodrome (BD)
Troll 2 (BD)
Island of Lost Souls (DVD)
The Tomb of Ligea/An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe (DVD)

Some great watching up ahead.

gag 12th December 2010 05:06 PM

Just watched Rec nvr seen it. If you can cope with plenty of screaming then its not bad....I know Quarantine was a remake of Rec, But didnt realise it wernt just a remake more of scene by scene , I dont see point of them type of remakes..

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 12th December 2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 116488)

It's a certainly a thing of beauty - although the HD transfer isn't fantastic.

nekromantik 12th December 2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 116622)
Just watched Rec nvr seen it. If you can cope with plenty of screaming then its not bad....I know Quarantine was a remake of Rec, But didnt realise it wernt just a remake more of scene by scene , I dont see point of them type of remakes..

I love [rec], one of me fav spanish horrors next to Pans Labyrinth and Devils Backbone altho both of them are not strictly "horror" films.

Looks good on bluray too!

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 12th December 2010 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 116614)
The postie came today (yes, a Sunday) and brought:
Videodrome (BD)
Troll 2 (BD)
Island of Lost Souls (DVD)
The Tomb of Ligea/An Evening with Edgar Allan Poe (DVD)

Some great watching up ahead.

Glad I wasn't the only one.
I thought I was hallucinating!:eek:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th December 2010 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 116635)
I love [rec], one of me fav spanish horrors next to Pans Labyrinth and Devils Backbone altho both of them are not strictly "horror" films.

Looks good on bluray too!

I agree that [Rec] is a terrific film and that's why the BD is near the top of my 'to buy' list.

I class The Devil's Backbone as a horror film but Pan's Labyrinth is a fantasy-drama with horror elements rather than an outright horror.

kingofwitches666 13th December 2010 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Tanzi (Post 116542)
The blu ray as you say has the neck stabbing reinstated, the dvd for some reason is the cut cert 15 cinema print.

Though not through censorship there was a similar incident with Law Abiding Citizen, only the blu ray got the longer cut of the film.

Once again, you'd the man when it comes to getting the info on stuff I enquire about. Cheers Inspector. :thumb:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2010 06:13 PM

Just bought this:

http://b.dv1.us/p1/275/104275-d0.jpg

:D

bdc 13th December 2010 08:24 PM

Nice one BE,now you'll have to tell me how the pic/disc quality is!
I've read all kinds of different things on the net about this bd.
I seem to remember it's region free,is that correct?
I absolutely love Night of the Werewolf!:)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th December 2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 116816)
Nice one BE,now you'll have to tell me how the pic/disc quality is!
I've read all kinds of different things on the net about this bd.
I seem to remember it's region free,is that correct?
I absolutely love Night of the Werewolf!:)

Will do. ;)

I've been meaning to pick it up for a while, and came across one at a very reasonable price and thought: why not? :D

I'm pretty sure it is Region free, but I'll let you know. I love both of these films, so it was an essential purchase for me! :nod:

bdc 13th December 2010 09:06 PM

Thanks BE,been ages since I last watched Vengeance of the Zombies and I can't remember a lot about it,just Naschy in a turban... ;)

Vendaval Este 13th December 2010 11:54 PM

Last BD I got (I don't buy many at all) was Midnight Legacy's limited release of Alien 2: On Earth. Seeing a film like this in HD presentation is nothing short of gobsmacking, fortunately I shouldn't need to recommend it because the people this type of film appeals to know who they are, will warn that it definitely drags in more than one place however.

Inspector Tanzi 14th December 2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vendaval Este (Post 116900)
Last BD I got (I don't buy many at all) was Midnight Legacy's limited release of Alien 2: On Earth. Seeing a film like this in HD presentation is nothing short of gobsmacking, fortunately I shouldn't need to recommend it because the people this type of film appeals to know who they are, will warn that it definitely drags in more than one place however.

I'm waiting on my one to arrive? I'm gonna try and keep up on stuff like this on Blu Ray if I possibly can.

Sargento 14th December 2010 08:17 PM

Just got througth the post .. Shriek Show R1

Zombie 3
Zombie 4

Dunno what they are like, not seen either yet.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 14th December 2010 08:22 PM

Neither are particularly good but, even so, they are still worth a watch. The 'Zombie' titles are a little misleading as they weren't originally titled as much and so are nothing like Zombi 2.

Sargento 14th December 2010 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 116996)
Neither are particularly good but, even so, they are still worth a watch. The 'Zombie' titles are a little misleading as they weren't originally titled as much and so are nothing like Zombi 2.

Cheers Nos ... not expecting owt special to be fair. The comments you make are the main reasons why I never dipped before ... but they were cheap so decided to add them to my collection.

Edit: Just looked up Zombie 4 and noticed Jeff Stryker is in it .. I think I have seen it on the Horror Channel now! I think he should stick to what he is better known for!