Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Daemonia 10th October 2011 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 188739)
Ok, I finally gave in and bought a cheap blu-ray player that can be changed to region A. Ordered Return of the Living Dead to enjoy on it as well.

What other US exclusive classics am I missing out on that I should check out?

What player did you get and where can you get them?

Refused 10th October 2011 12:35 AM

It was a Technika one that they used to sell in Tesco. The Tesco outlet store on ebay are selling some for 45.

Daemonia 10th October 2011 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 188749)
It was a Technika one that they used to sell in Tesco. The Tesco outlet store on ebay are selling some for 45.

Cool, I shall investigate. How easy is it to switch regions?

EDIT: Found it on eBay. Bit concerned that Tesco have piles of refurbished players to sell (refurbishing meaning they've all been returned to them by dissatisfied customers, which doesn't bode well...).

Refused 10th October 2011 12:40 AM

Just a simple code on the remote, and a menu pops up letting you select the region. My mate has one, and although its not a fantastic player you can't really beat it for that price.

oaxaca 10th October 2011 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refused (Post 188739)
Ok, I finally gave in and bought a cheap blu-ray player that can be changed to region A. Ordered Return of the Living Dead to enjoy on it as well.

What other US exclusive classics am I missing out on that I should check out?

These are some of the titles I would buy if I had a region-free player (going to HAVE to look into getting one!)


Invasion of the body snatchers
Soylent green
Return of the Living dead
Django
The Robe
and I would go on a mad CRITERION shopping spree! :p Island of Lost Souls & Stagecoach would be top of my list! Oh and Black Narcissus if I didn't already have the ITVstudios UK release and likewise with The Red Shoes.

In fact I would buy all of these from Criterion and then be utterly pennyless...

beauty and the beast
howards end
island of lost souls
kagemusha
the killing
kiss me deadly
the night of the hunter
the phantom carriage
seven samurai
the seventh seal
stagecoach
sweet smell of success
robinson crusoe on mars
wages of fear
yojimbo/sanjuro
le cercle rouge

Pete 10th October 2011 11:06 AM

Just received the Sazuma DVD of LAST HOUSE ON THE BEACH. I only bought the Japanese release the other week but I had to have get Sazuma edition for the soundtrack CD.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th October 2011 11:46 AM

I placed an order at Planet Axel a few days ago for the following:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...65/Ordered.jpg


it's one way to make the most of their new shipping arrangements!

Pete 10th October 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 188795)
I placed an order at Planet Axel a few days ago for the following:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/...65/Ordered.jpg


it's one way to make the most of their new shipping arrangements!

With the amount of Criterion titles you buy I have come to the conclusion that you are millionaire!

PaulRobinson 10th October 2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 188750)
Cool, I shall investigate. How easy is it to switch regions?

EDIT: Found it on eBay. Bit concerned that Tesco have piles of refurbished players to sell (refurbishing meaning they've all been returned to them by dissatisfied customers, which doesn't bode well...).


I've seen these too and wondered the same. I have read on avforums that you can only apply this hack to brand new players on first boot. At least one person here is having trouble hacking a refurbished player.

Might not be such a good deal?

Pete 10th October 2011 11:51 AM

I have the Tesco Technika player and it isn't very good - many BD's jump and sometimes the discs won't load at all and you have to turn it off by the plug and switch it back on again to get it working.


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.