Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 26th October 2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 192910)
Received a load of discs which I'd ordered from Barnes & Noble, plus some others bought from the US and others which came in the mail today.

BDs:
All About Eve (Digibook)
Beauty and the Beast: The Criterion Collection
Black Narcissus: The Criterion Collection
Citizen Kane: Ultimate Collector's Edition
Days of Heaven: The Criterion Collection
8 ½: The Criterion Collection
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: The Criterion Collection
The 400 Blows: The Criterion Collection
Hiroshima mon amour: The Criterion Collection
Kes: The Criterion Collection
Maniac Cop
Paris, Texas: The Criterion Collection
The Red Shoes: The Criterion Collection
The Seventh Seal: The Criterion Collection
Solaris: The Criterion Collection
Straw Dogs
The Thin Red Line: The Criterion Collection
Walkabout: The Criterion Collection
Wings of Desire: The Criterion Collection
Yojimbo: The Criterion Collection
Zombie (Blue Underground)

DVDs:
Sci-fi Collection: Attack of the Crab Monsters, War of the Satellites, Not of This Earth
M. Hulot's Holiday: The Criterion Collection
Night and Fog: The Criterion Collection
The Slumber Party Massacre Collection
La Strada: Art House Collection
Tower of Evil
Viridiana: The Criterion Collection

I'll try and put a photo of them online in the morning.

Damn, nice haul.
Sadly I haven't been able to have as many Criterion sprees as I used to.
I would love to upgrade my Beauty and the Beast and Seventh Seal DVDs to Blu.
If you don't already own it I would recommend Bergman's The Magician Criterion Blu, gorgeous.
La Strada is such a great and powerful film, wondering when Criterion will announce the Blu version.

InDogWeTrust 26th October 2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InDogWeTrust (Post 191143)

As Baseball Fury made me realize I had been tricked, I got my money back for this but It arrived yesterday and the seller never asked for it back so i'm just going to keep it anyway. Used the refunded money to buy a real copy of the 1958 Attack Of The 50FT Woman from the Warner Archive Collection. Three DVDs for the price of one, It all turned out pretty good I say!

Daemonia 27th October 2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 192903)
just bought the woman :)

Have they legalised slave trading again? :lol:

This week watched the Halloween II blu-ray from Universal, which looks stunning, and Last House on the Left, which whilst very grainy, is better than it's ever looked before. Comparing it with the DVD there's a world of difference, it's region-free too, in spaite of the Region A logo on the cover. :)

Just ordered the UK Blu-ray disc of The Frighteners, it apparently has both cuts of the film on there and lots of extras, identical to the US release, so people are reporting. It's not the same as some of the Euro releases, which only have the theatrical cut. I'll report back when I get it to confirm for certain what's on the UK disc, in case anyone wants to know.

nekromantik 27th October 2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 193139)
Have they legalised slave trading again? :lol:

This week watched the Halloween II blu-ray from Universal, which looks stunning, and Last House on the Left, which whilst very grainy, is better than it's ever looked before. Comparing it with the DVD there's a world of difference, it's region-free too, in spaite of the Region A logo on the cover. :)

Just ordered the UK Blu-ray disc of The Frighteners, it apparently has both cuts of the film on there and lots of extras, identical to the US release, so people are reporting. It's not the same as some of the Euro releases, which only have the theatrical cut. I'll report back when I get it to confirm for certain what's on the UK disc, in case anyone wants to know.

yup they have :)
didnt you get the memo :laugh:

Daemonia 27th October 2011 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 193140)
yup they have :)
didnt you get the memo :laugh:

No, dammit. Did I miss any bargains? :lol:

nekromantik 27th October 2011 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 193142)
No, dammit. Did I miss any bargains? :lol:

oh yeah.
lots of good deals were out there!
bad times u missed out. :lol:

Phurious 27th October 2011 09:13 AM

11 Attachment(s)
Well, after a year of procrastinating I finally managed to track down a new remote for my Blu Ray player and bought a a new HDMI cable (which resembles an iron cable - you know the ones that look like climbing rope!!!), so now it looks like my Blu ray purchasing shall commence:

HMV had 2 for £15 on some Special Edition classics, so I went with Das Boot and Easy Rider.
Also bagged Withnail and I and The Long Good Friday for £3 each, and picked up Nick Love's remake of The Firm (Love's films are one of my guilty pleasures).

Before my cinema jaunt last night I had time to kill so popped into Fopp to check out their BRs but they were quite pricey so I settled for a few DVDs instead that were £3 and £4:
Frozen Lake, which I've only heard good things about.
Henry Portait Of A Serial Killer as I've never replaced my VHS.
Scorsese's New York, New York, which I've never seen, but it's absolutely loaded with extras.
And Radio On - a low key unheralded British masterpiece that I urge everyone to see, if only to check out the incredible soundtrack (Bowie, Kraftwerk, Fripp, Devo and more).

Also there's Seconds, which I mentioned the other day and the purchase that has made me most happy is Thunder Cops an absolutely bonkers HK movie. Here's the trailer:

THUNDER COPS - YouTube

Wes 27th October 2011 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 193173)
Radio On - a low key unheralded British masterpiece that I urge everyone to see, if only to check out the incredible soundtrack (Bowie, Kraftwerk, Fripp, Devo and more).

Also there's Seconds, which I mentioned the other day

Great picks there Phil, and I would second a recommendation for Radio On - a fantastic grungy kitchen-sink road movie and if you like 70's Wenders, it's an essential purchase... Seconds - I thought the Paramount disc was long deleted, I might pick this one up - Godflesh lifted the design of their debut long-player from this film, and later Saul Bass used the same image in the credits for Scorsese's Cape Fear...

Prince_Vajda 27th October 2011 11:19 AM

Today's (pre-)orders...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg

Greetings!

Shaw13 27th October 2011 11:57 AM

Picked up a few cheap DVD's:

Killing Zoe
The House on Sorority Row (original)
Crocodile
Thank You For Smoking
Syriana
The One