Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 194518)
love the cover.
I got the steely of wanted its a awesome flick.

Pity they didn't release these Reel Heroes discs as steelbooks in the UK. These German ones look great.

nekromantik 1st November 2011 04:57 PM

yeah, although I doubt I would double dip just for a cover :lol:

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 194522)
yeah, although I doubt I would double dip just for a cover :lol:

Haha, I did.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 05:10 PM

My copy of Blue Velvet arrived today! :rockon:

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 1st November 2011 05:14 PM

How are those Ozu Blu rays? I have a deep love for Ozu and would love to upgrade my DVDs to Blu.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 1st November 2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 194464)
Just used (almost) all of my Axel reward points on this:

http://b.dv1.us/p1/906/156906-d0.jpg

Points well spent. A nasty, vile film that's never looked better. Also love the artwork on that cover.
" The cat's in the bag, and the bag's in the river."

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper@Cult Labs (Post 194310)
You not seen THE CONVERSATION?-Class.
Arguably Hackman's best.

I've seen The Conversation several times as I own it on DVD, but really want to see what it looks like in HD.

I prefer Gene Hackman's performance in The French Connection, but this really shows his range.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 194388)
Halloween II looks incredible in HD, much better than I thought it would! Definitely one of my favourite BDs to date. And you get the full length docu-feature Terror in the Aisles in full HD as an extra too. But snap up a copy quick, there's rumours about that Universal didn't properly license the clips and they also omitted the title card saying 'Moustapha Akkad presents' and so they might be doing a recall. Like I say, it's just a rumour, but I'm glad I already have myself a copy - just in case!

It does look extremely good apart from one scene which, due to the print damage and unusually heavy grain, looks almost like DVD quality. The soundtracks are disappointing - why no DTS-HD Master Audio or LPCM surround or stereo track?

I haven't seen Terror in the Aisles yet, but will do at some point this week.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 06:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Terror in the Aisles is well worth a watch.
I had the Palace UK Quad poster many years ago.

Raided HMV today again and picked up........

Stephen@Cult Labs 1st November 2011 06:50 PM

Was it the US or UK release of The Cinversation Nos?

oaxaca 1st November 2011 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. (Post 194532)
How are those Ozu Blu rays? I have a deep love for Ozu and would love to upgrade my DVDs to Blu.

Well... to be honest I was a little disappointed at the level of scratches and flecks on the print, its a little heavy in places and distracting (I imagine the DVD transfers are much the same), but I was happy with the high definition and detail. It definitely looks HD. Its just a shame BFI couldn't have cleaned them up a little bit more, Eureka have released films of the same era with practically zero imperfections, but I guess it mostly comes down to the quality of the film stock available as opposed to the publisher/distributor. Its clear how much BFI revere Ozu and I'm sure they did the best they could.