Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demoncrat 2nd November 2011 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gigantor (Post 194658)
Raided the Cheap/Used bins on the weekend and picked up

EVIL ALIENS
BUSTED
ZAPPED
THE PARTY ANIMAL
CRITTERS/CRITTERS 2
SGT.KABUKIMAN NYPD
ALL THE LOVE YOU CANNES
HARVEY BIRDMAN ATTORNEY AT LARGE

Critters and the Birdman!! kudos....!:nod:

dream demon 2nd November 2011 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 194564)
After catching up with Mark Cousin's The Story Of Film the other day I instantly picked up Daisies and after some chat on one of the other forums I grabbed The Cremator whilst I was at it.
Boogie Nights and Black Death BRs were a gift from the missus whilst we wandering around Winchester on Sunday morning, and Jerry Springer: The Opera was a Poundland find in Winchester too.
I nipped into Fopp today to ask them to remove one of those weird red security tags that stops you from opening a DVD case as they neglected to do so on one of my purchases from last week, so whilst I was there it seemed not pick something up so I went for another BFI Flipside BR; Herostratus.

Also my Liquid Sky poster managed to find it's way from the States to these fair shores after I won it on eBay a while ago. :)

I've just picked up my first Second Run release - Ken McMullen's Partition. Needless to say, I am incredibly impressed with Second Run's package for this film after hearing so many good things about them over at the Criterion Forums, and I have their forthcoming Miklós Jancsó box set on pre-order at Amazon. The Cremator has been on my radar for some time, and I plan on collecting all of their releases in the near future. I'm amazed that they manage to put out such nice editions for such low prices. Many of them can be picked up for less than a fiver if you shop around, and even new releases are around the £9.99 mark - the 3 disc Miklós Jancsó is only £13.99, which must be one of the bargains of the year!

I have the old 2 disc edition of Herostratus, and although I haven't had a chance yet to sit down and watch the full film, I have had a quick flick through, and it looks great, with a typically impressive transfer from BFI.

Nemesis 2nd November 2011 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dream demon (Post 194671)
I've just picked up my first Second Run release - Ken McMullen's Partition. Needless to say, I am incredibly impressed with Second Run's package for this film after hearing so many good things about them over at the Criterion Forums, and I have their forthcoming Miklós Jancsó box set on pre-order at Amazon. The Cremator has been on my radar for some time, and I plan on collecting all of their releases in the near future. I'm amazed that they manage to put out such nice editions for such low prices. Many of them can be picked up for less than a fiver if you shop around, and even new releases are around the £9.99 mark - the 3 disc Miklós Jancsó is only £13.99, which must be one of the bargains of the year!

I have the old 2 disc edition of Herostratus, and although I haven't had a chance yet to sit down and watch the full film, I have had a quick flick through, and it looks great, with a typically impressive transfer from BFI.

Second Run is terrific - I cannot praise their releases enough. They deserve special commendation for the fact that they release films that most other distributors have not dared to touch, particularly Eastern European cinema, for a seriously affordable price. Their documentaries especially merit praise - the Kim Longinotto documentaries and Black Sun. But on the feature film front, they've put out some real gems - Valley of the Bees, O Sangue, Blissfully Yours, Third Part of the Night.

Nemesis 2nd November 2011 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. (Post 194532)
How are those Ozu Blu rays? I have a deep love for Ozu and would love to upgrade my DVDs to Blu.

I'm very fond of their release of Good Morning, but I've still got Late Spring to watch :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd November 2011 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 194581)
I've just tried it in my PC BD drive, and it is indeed region free.

Looks great too from flicking through it.

You have yours already? Fingers crossed mine is delivered this afternoon when the postman comes knocking on the door.

Although I can play Region A discs, my PS3 is a much better player than the cheap region likeable one, so good news on the region coding front.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd November 2011 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 194676)
You have yours already? Fingers crossed mine is delivered this afternoon when the postman comes knocking on the door.

Although I can play Region A discs, my PS3 is a much better player than the cheap region likeable one, so good news on the region coding front.

Yes, it arrived yesterday - I'm very much looking forward to watching it!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd November 2011 01:25 PM

My Canadian Steelbook of The Exorcist just came by recorded delivery and I also received an e-mail from Planet Axel to say Evil Dead 2: 25th Anniversary Edition has been shipped - groovy!

Prince_Vajda 2nd November 2011 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 194689)
My Canadian Steelbook of The Exorcist just came by recorded delivery and I also received an e-mail from Planet Axel to say Evil Dead 2: 25th Anniversary Edition has been shipped - groovy!

You are the proud owner of how many different releases at the moment? :)

Greetings!

PaulRobinson 2nd November 2011 02:08 PM

Evil Dead 2 has shipped :woot:

http://www.planetaxel.com/resources/...33_300x200.jpg

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 2nd November 2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince_Vajda (Post 194704)
You are the proud owner of how many different releases at the moment? :)

Greetings!

I have the Theatrical Version and The Version You've Never Seen on both R1 and R2 DVDs, the UK Blu-ray release and the US Mediabook so, with this Steelbook, that makes seven!