Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

nekromantik 3rd November 2011 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 195128)
I hated that film, but each to their own!
That's very unfortunate as I have a copy on its way to me. Is it any better than the DVD?

I warned you about it :lol:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th November 2011 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 195136)
Mrs MTDS is forcing me to go to a club that has burlesque dancers tomorrow night. Life is tough sometimes.;)

She sounds like a terrible wife, but the things you do for love, eh?!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 195146)
I'll keep a firm grip on myself.

I imagine that may see you ejected from the premises!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th November 2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 195133)
Haha, yeah each to their own! :p It blew me away when I first saw it. I think its Anthony Minghella's masterpiece and rightfully won its Oscar, BAFTA and Golden Globe. The story, cinematography, cast, everything is near perfect. Its the most epic and emotive drama I can think of since David Lean's swansong A PASSAGE TO INDIA 12 years earlier.

In terms of its technical aspects, it is a masterfully made film with superb acting, but it just felt so incredibly turgid and dull that I lost interest within the first hour and made it to the end due to sheer determination!

Anyway, if you like it, that's cool and I hope the BD is everything you hope and expect.

Demoncrat 4th November 2011 09:57 AM

well, hopefully il have my Dark night of the Scarecrow today :happy:

Phurious 4th November 2011 11:56 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Thanks to Slippery Jack for enlightening me about Warrior King and the Kim Newman and Stephen Jones commentary track on Halloween III: Season Of The Witch - which were both inexpensive Amazon marketplace purchases.

Paid my first visit to a branch of CEX today (Wood Green in north London) and was chuffed to get a BFI Flipside BR for £3!
Container I still haven't seen yet, but am a fan of Moodysson's previous films.
Outlaw was something I've had to buy again as I've lost my copy somewhere. Danny Dyer commentary tracks are always unintentionally hilarious.
Land of the Dead is another DVD that I had, but now can't find although I'm pretty sure they've given me the wrong disc, I'll just have to check.
WAZ I've seen before on Sky, but I noticed that the DVD has a director and Alan Jones commentary. I was a big fan of The Children, but was unsure of this. Very much looking forward to revisiting it.
One For The Road - it's a Tartan release and was 75p. Don't know anything else about it!
Baba Yaga - swelling the ranks of my Shameless collection.

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th November 2011 12:21 PM

Wtf! Just came back from my local HMV. No Outsiders, no Conversation, not even Maniac Cop. They don't even stock the titles. Pathetic! Consoled myself with a copy of Fiddler On The Roof.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th November 2011 12:22 PM

I wasn't impressed by Waz at all, The Children however was excellent.

Phurious 4th November 2011 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 195238)

I hear ya, but I'm intrigued to see what the director has to say about it and the ever effulgent Alan Jones :)

nekromantik 4th November 2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike (Post 195238)

Agreed.
Waz was just plain boring tbh.

Children was very good however.

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th November 2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 195240)
I hear ya, but I'm intrigued to see what the director has to say about it and the ever effulgent Alan Jones :)

Must admit when i bought it i never even noticed the Jones commentary.