Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Phurious 11th November 2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 196928)
"Permissive" is a great down beat, grubby film reeking of nicotine stained fingers and pints of mild.

Mmm, just like home for me ;)

Slippery Jack 11th November 2011 07:20 PM

Expensive laptop be damned! Putting the dvd spend on hold was never gonna happen. :tsk:

Just got the Flipside release of Voice Over, which sounds very much like 'my kind of thing'. Reckon I'll my another Flipside shortly, but which one . . . ?

Make Them Die Slowly 11th November 2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 196985)
Expensive laptop be damned! Putting the dvd spend on hold was never gonna happen. :tsk:

Just got the Flipside release of Voice Over, which sounds very much like 'my kind of thing'. Reckon I'll my another Flipside shortly, but which one . . . ?

Try "Requiem for a Village" if you've not already seen it. It's kind of like a pre-industrial Fred Dibnah crossed with "Night of the Living Dead" and a smidge of "Psychomania". Better yet, double bill it with "Here's a Health to the Barley Mow" also from BFI for a magical evening of Wyrd Britain.

Slippery Jack 11th November 2011 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 197024)
Try "Requiem for a Village" if you've not already seen it. It's kind of like a pre-industrial Fred Dibnah crossed with "Night of the Living Dead" and a smidge of "Psychomania". Better yet, double bill it with "Here's a Health to the Barley Mow" also from BFI for a magical evening of Wyrd Britain.

Yeah I've got Requiem on my rental list, so think I'll wait for it to arrive from that. I'd forgotten about the Barley Mow disc, Sight and Sound did an extensive feature on it a few issues back. Is it worth a purchase you reckon . . . ?

Make Them Die Slowly 11th November 2011 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 197026)
Yeah I've got Requiem on my rental list, so think I'll wait for it to arrive from that. I'd forgotten about the Barley Mow disc, Sight and Sound did an extensive feature on it a few issues back. Is it worth a purchase you reckon . . . ?

It's well worth a punt if you like Morris Dancing. Some of the silent footage looks so exotic, it's hard to imagine it's from England. I'm a huge fan of folk music/dance and customs so I loved it but I could imagine over two discs it could become a chore if you're not into it. That said, "Oss Oss Wee Oss" on disc two is a must if you have even the slightest interest in "The Wicker Man" and where all the singing and dancing comes from. Click on the "pirate" Moving History

oaxaca 11th November 2011 10:46 PM

Got these 2. Couldn't believe DR GIGGLES is on blu. What a film!! :p

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpghttps://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....500_AA300_.jpg

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th November 2011 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 197036)

I just bought Dr Giggles on dvd. Didn't want to be stuck with Otis. :lol:

oaxaca 11th November 2011 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 197038)
I just bought Dr Giggles on dvd. Didn't want to be stuck with Otis. :lol:

Hehe, I don't think I'll bother watching Otis, never heard of it, I only wanted Dr. Giggles. Got it for 7 off an ebay seller.

Also just got these funky 3D glasses for F13pt3. 1.39 on ebay...

http://site.ultimate3dheaven.com/1/FridayThe13th.jpg

Baseball Fury 12th November 2011 01:12 AM

Had a BD shop for the missus' birthday and the little man's 1st birthday today, picked up the three
Twilight films, The Lion King, Fantastic Mr Fox and a cheeky Easy Rider for myself

Slippery Jack 12th November 2011 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 197028)
It's well worth a punt if you like Morris Dancing. Some of the silent footage looks so exotic, it's hard to imagine it's from England. I'm a huge fan of folk music/dance and customs so I loved it but I could imagine over two discs it could become a chore if you're not into it. That said, "Oss Oss Wee Oss" on disc two is a must if you have even the slightest interest in "The Wicker Man" and where all the singing and dancing comes from. Click on the "pirate" Moving History

Yeah I'm fascinated by folk, but mainly on a superficial level, the costumes and historical imagery etc. My local art gallery (Walsall) did a big folk exhibition a few years back that was pretty amazing. Needless to say, I love The Wicker Man! It's a shame the remake has already been taken, I'd love to see another UK take on the material that really delves into the folky side of it, and it's place in society today . . .


All times are GMT. The time now is 08:25 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright © 2014 Cult Laboratories Ltd. All rights reserved.