Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th November 2011 09:27 PM

Happy birthday mate. Your wife clearly knows your tastes and The Emilio Miraglia Killer Queen Box Set looks really cool -- the films aren't bad either!

Phurious 26th November 2011 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 200017)
Had the Silent Running steelbook turn up today, then got home to find a second copy. Forgotten I'd pre ordered it from amazon :doh:

Got the Blue Underground BD of Maniac too, cuz it seems to be getting a lot of attention recently, and I aint never seen it :shocked: . . .

You wanna sell one of those Silent Runnings?

I heard that the transfer ain't so great on the Maniac BD. One reviwer (can't remember where) reckoned the DVD looked better! I dunno though, it's a film that benefits from a scuzzy look I reckon.

Phurious 26th November 2011 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 199986)
It's my birthday today and my wonderful wife surprised me this beauty (among other things):

:happy:

Happy belated birthday mate. Hope you had a good 'un. :party:

Make Them Die Slowly 26th November 2011 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 199946)
From the mighty eBay I picked up Peter Watkin's Culloden on VHS and an ex-library copy of Sexmission which comes in a weird lockable case and unfortunately has some stickers on the sleeve, but at £5 it's a bargain compared to buying it elsewhere.

From Amazon another two BFI Flipside releases Bronco Bullfrog and Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush.
And this week I heard that Andy Milligan's Nightbirds is getting a release on the Flipside series under the supervision of Nicolas Winding Refn (apparently he won the 16mm print on eBay!) and a booklet with articles form Refn, Stephen Thrower and Milligan's biographer Jimmy McDonough :shocked: - cannot wait for this.

And in other news I finally managed to bag a Mondo Vision limited edition release of Zulawski's Szamanka :dance:

"Bronco Bullfrog" is one of my favourite films seen this year and "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" was filmed in my home town. See if you can spot one of my uncles in the background in the school scenes!

I wondered what had happened to the Milligan film or is it films that Refn won on eBay.I love the few films by him that I've seen.

Phurious 26th November 2011 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Make Them Die Slowly (Post 200046)
"Bronco Bullfrog" is one of my favourite films seen this year and "Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush" was filmed in my home town. See if you can spot one of my uncles in the background in the school scenes!

I wondered what had happened to the Milligan film or is it films that Refn won on eBay.I love the few films by him that I've seen.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for your uncle ;)

As fas as I can make out there was only one copy of the 16mm print available for years and that was owned by Milligans biographer, Jim Mcdonough, who then sold it via eBay to Refn.

Hats off to Refn for providing this. He's a big proponent of the Flipside series and this is the ultimate 'thank you' I guess.

keirarts 26th November 2011 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 200039)

I heard that the transfer ain't so great on the Maniac BD. One reviwer (can't remember where) reckoned the DVD looked better! I dunno though, it's a film that benefits from a scuzzy look I reckon.

That was me. The film looks scuzzy enough on dvd and with the upscale has better detail than the blu which is a mastering job too far. New blu has some pretty good extras though so not a total waste.

Slippery Jack 26th November 2011 09:05 AM

Quote:

Sure. I'm back in the Midlands this weekend. But I'll get on it next week - name yer price!

Quote:

Bloody hell :mmph: This image transfer business pisses me off. Why can't everyone just do a good job eh, says I :tsk: ? (my highly informed opinion)

Slippery Jack 26th November 2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phurious (Post 199946)
And this week I heard that Andy Milligan's Nightbirds is getting a release on the Flipside series under the supervision of Nicolas Winding Refn (apparently he won the 16mm print on eBay!) and a booklet with articles form Refn, Stephen Thrower and Milligan's biographer Jimmy McDonough :shocked: - cannot wait for this.

Dunno this film, but you said Flipside, Refn, and Thrower, so that's that one pre-ordered :bunny:

Got the Mulberry Bush on my christmas list, should be some good viewing over the festive season . . .

ReturnToZero 26th November 2011 09:25 AM

Ordered some films on DVD:

La Setta
Tragic Ceremony
Race with the Devil
And Soon the Darkness
Who Saw Her Die?
The Frightened Woman
Demon Seed

BD's i will buy as soon as they get released:
Fernando Di Leo Crime Collection
Rolling Thunder

napalm-in-the-morning 26th November 2011 10:58 AM

Metropolis Blu Ray

Amazing restoration and a fantastic presentation. Essential purchase and I think a few limited edition steel-books still floating around.