Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

pedromonkey 16th December 2011 04:53 PM

finally picked up my pre-order of Jurassic Park on Blu today, also spent some dough on amazon. got these...

SILENT RUNNING - BLU (non steelbook)
Race with The Devil
Beast In space - Shameless
The Cheerleaders - Arrowdrome

Gojirosan 16th December 2011 04:54 PM

I am only really familiar with Almodovar up to around the under-rated Kika. Lost track of his later work (though have a fair bit of it waiting to be watched). So those sets cover my faves!

Dark Habits and Matador are truly wonderful films.

Enjoy!

Phurious 16th December 2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 204003)
I am only really familiar with Almodovar up to around the under-rated Kika. Lost track of his later work (though have a fair bit of it waiting to be watched). So those sets cover my faves!

Dark Habits and Matador are truly wonderful films.

Enjoy!

Thanks, I will.

Yeh, I'm all post Kika really, although I have seen Matador, which really surprised as it was very different to anything else I'd seen by him.

Also they're what I consider wife-friendly, which means I'll get to watch some films with her over the hols :)

keirarts 16th December 2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 204000)
Finished work early and had a mooch around nearby Staines (s'alright, better than Slough!) - found a CEX and got the copy of Halloween 2 that has the Newman/Jones commentary - one of the few purchases where I've been more interested to hear the commentary than watch the film :lol: . . .

The print of halloween 2 leaves something to be desired, very pale and faded and not a patch on either the universal r1 dvd or the phenomenal region free universal blu-ray.
That said the commentary is excellent, I own the disc just for that.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 16th December 2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 203691)
The boxsets are really nice,I played around with the Royal Tramp one for about 10 minutes before I found the "secret compartment"! :lol:

Once A Thief contains a dvd sized cardboard replica of the painting! :loco:
It's (together with the dvd) inside a partly see-through plastic box,fun edition.

Awesome haul there. I have that Once A Thief DVD with the painting. Very cool.

Slippery Jack 16th December 2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 204014)
The print of halloween 2 leaves something to be desired, very pale and faded and not a patch on either the universal r1 dvd or the phenomenal region free universal blu-ray.
That said the commentary is excellent, I own the disc just for that.

yeah... Halloween 2 is a film I can totally live with having a weak transfer (I won't be upgrading), as I say I pretty much bought it for the commentary . . .

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 16th December 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slippery Jack (Post 203936)
Yeah I thought that with the Teshigahara Criterion boxset I ordered - lovely matte white card packaging, but so easily marked/dented !

Just pre-ordered Kill List, released (annoyingly) on boxing day . . .

I know how you feel about that Teshigahara box set. I got it from the wife last year for my birthday and it had a medium sized smudge on the front. I tried to live with it and not nitpick, I couldn't do it, I had to return it. The second one I got was perfect. Just got to always wash hands prior to touching it, even if you thought that you just washed them.:)

Slippery Jack 16th December 2011 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. (Post 204039)
I know how you feel about that Teshigahara box set. I got it from the wife last year for my birthday and it had a medium sized smudge on the front. I tried to live with it and not nitpick, I couldn't do it, I had to return it. The second one I got was perfect. Just got to always wash hands prior to touching it, even if you thought that you just washed them.:)

...I wonder if it's an intentional sick joke by Criterion's design team that the cover art is one big fingerprint mark :mmph: . . .

pedromonkey 16th December 2011 10:12 PM

damn it, working in a shop that sells dvds and blu rays is so annoying, just finished work and came home with....

SCREAM TRILOGY - BLU
Tucker & Dale Vs Evil - DVD
This Is England - DVD

only came to 26.00 with me discount...

Slippery Jack 16th December 2011 10:15 PM

Ah cool, where do you work in Cardiff ? ... Actually, isn't it only hmv there that sells dvds now? When I was at Uni I had Fopp, Virgin Megastore, and more :( . . .