Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

keirarts 25th December 2011 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 205805)
I got my first BD on saturday, the US release of Maniac Cop. While being my first ever BD, I wasn't very impressed with the picture quality. Was better than DVD, sure, but I expected more. :)

Nice to see the film again, though. Forgot most of it as it had been years since I watched it.

with titles like this is as much about the source materials as anything else, blu-ray can improve the picture quality on most (not all) releases. But low budget horror like maniac cop and releases like it can only look so good. I've owned both the elite entertainment and synapse dvd's of maniac and trust me on this, arrows release is better but its as good as its going to get.

keirarts 25th December 2011 08:02 PM

p.s. after i'm done here i'm going to watch zombie death house directed by john saxon. I'm not expecting great things from it but I was pleased someone got it for me for xmas as I thought it was going to hang around on there forever!

damek 25th December 2011 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 205830)
with titles like this is as much about the source materials as anything else, blu-ray can improve the picture quality on most (not all) releases. But low budget horror like maniac cop and releases like it can only look so good. I've owned both the elite entertainment and synapse dvd's of maniac and trust me on this, arrows release is better but its as good as its going to get.

Yah, I know. New (Hollywood) movies look better than 'old' american b-movies. I just expected a little more, that's all. Even if it's not the same resolution, the DVD of "Margin Call" looked better to me than the "Maniac Cop" BD.

keirarts 25th December 2011 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by damek (Post 205835)
Yah, I know. New (Hollywood) movies look better than 'old' american b-movies. I just expected a little more, that's all. Even if it's not the same resolution, the DVD of "Margin Call" looked better to me than the "Maniac Cop" BD.

depends on the film stock, how well the film has been stored and various over technical stuff. Some 40's movies have probably had better treatment in terms of archiving than a lot of the cult movies floating about. Texas chainsaw is a good example, the blu-ray looks phenomenal to me but it does show up a lot of the print damage and other flaws.

damek 25th December 2011 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 205837)
depends on the film stock, how well the film has been stored and various over technical stuff. Some 40's movies have probably had better treatment in terms of archiving than a lot of the cult movies floating about. Texas chainsaw is a good example, the blu-ray looks phenomenal to me but it does show up a lot of the print damage and other flaws.

Yeah I know it depends on many things. Reality is that old movies look worse than new movies usually.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th December 2011 08:39 AM

I know its not a film, but yesterday I put some of an Amazon voucher I received towards the complete Hammer's House of Horrors series.

keirarts 26th December 2011 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 205876)
I know its not a film, but yesterday I put some of an Amazon voucher I received towards the complete Hammer's House of Horrors series.

still darned good! Just try getting hammers house of mystery and suspense though, I spent ages tracking that down due to the astronomical prices online only to find them in a charity shop in cambridge at 5.99 each!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 26th December 2011 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 205877)
still darned good! Just try getting hammers house of mystery and suspense though, I spent ages tracking that down due to the astronomical prices online only to find them in a charity shop in cambridge at 5.99 each!

There's nothing quite like the benefits of patience and looking in unlikely places, is there?

As those who like to wear red jackets and carry whips would say, it's the thrill of the hunt.

Scyther 26th December 2011 12:20 PM

Just finished an X-Mas gift card haul which included Noshame's OOP Red Queen box set, Anchor Bay's OOP Cheerleaders collection, Just Jaeckin's Gwendoline Uncle Jess' She Killed in Ecstasy, Spirits of the Dead and Di Leo's To Be Twenty.

Gotta <3 Amazon gift cards. :)

gag 26th December 2011 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 205876)

They keep showing the series on horror channel just started again at weekned.