Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Film Discussions > General Film Discussions
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree151384Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 26th December 2011, 01:47 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

just got Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes blu - not in a sale though, just really wanted it...
Old 26th December 2011, 03:43 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Braved the sales today and managed to get from HMV:

Batman Anthology
Tremors
THX 1138
Forbidden Planet
Evil Dead 2
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Old 26th December 2011, 05:28 PM
Active Cultist

What were the HMV prices like?
Old 26th December 2011, 05:59 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertzombie View Post
What were the HMV prices like?
Quite a few titles reduced to £5 and £6 (Tremors and THX 1138 were part of this offer) and a few box sets were reduced (Batman anthology was down to £15) but everything else was at it's normal price .My local HMV is fairly small so doesn't have a very big selection so there's probably better offers on in the larger stores.
Old 26th December 2011, 11:17 PM
Seasoned Cultist
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaxaca View Post
Got CANNIBAL HOLOCAUST and THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH/THE SKULL off me old Ma for xmas!

Also ordered the following 2 Spaghetti Westerns:-

And these post-spaghetti westerns:

Yes! I'm always down for a Sabata flick, although this one is probably my least favorite of the trilogy.
oaxaca likes this.
Old 27th December 2011, 08:41 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Jack View Post
Yeah...but the cover art sucks

Talking of FRANCE and DVD, I've ordered the rather awesome Home, with a rather awesome performance by Isabelle Huppert - can't wait to give this a second watch, quietly blew me away first time round . . .
Haha - yeh it does, but with used copies going for £29+ on Amazon, I can suffer not staring at the sleeve art.

Midnight Video 26: The Great Silence, My Favourite Year and Brain Damage
Old 27th December 2011, 10:17 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Okey, this will be the last for the year. Now i will wait about a month when Di Leo Crime Collection and Rolling Thunder gets released on blu-ray

Old 27th December 2011, 11:36 AM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
with titles like this is as much about the source materials as anything else, blu-ray can improve the picture quality on most (not all) releases. But low budget horror like maniac cop and releases like it can only look so good. I've owned both the elite entertainment and synapse dvd's of maniac and trust me on this, arrows release is better but its as good as its going to get.
I can't quite agree with that. Unless we're saying that Blu-ray has a higher resolution than 35mm film? Well, that isn't the case, so I'd argue that in the cases where the film looks poor on Blu-ray, it's probably down to a poor encode. Just look at how good Evil Dead looks on BD, and that's from a 16mm source, not even anything approaching 35mm, and it looks stunning.

Old films can look spectacular on the format. If restored properly. It's probably a case of niche companies not being able to afford a full restoration rather than a case of 'this is as good as it gets'. It could be better, if the smaller companies had the time and money to do full restoration jobs.

I actually prefer the look of older films, where they actually look like films. New films just look like shiny pop videos, they lack realism and look like video games.
Old 27th December 2011, 12:29 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemonia View Post
I can't quite agree with that. Unless we're saying that Blu-ray has a higher resolution than 35mm film? Well, that isn't the case, so I'd argue that in the cases where the film looks poor on Blu-ray, it's probably down to a poor encode. Just look at how good Evil Dead looks on BD, and that's from a 16mm source, not even anything approaching 35mm, and it looks stunning.

Old films can look spectacular on the format. If restored properly. It's probably a case of niche companies not being able to afford a full restoration rather than a case of 'this is as good as it gets'. It could be better, if the smaller companies had the time and money to do full restoration jobs.

I actually prefer the look of older films, where they actually look like films. New films just look like shiny pop videos, they lack realism and look like video games.
I totally agree.

Witchfinder General is from 1968, and it looks stunning on Blu-ray. Even Coppola's very cheap, Corman-produced movie Dementia 13 looks pretty neat on this format.

Greetings!
Old 27th December 2011, 12:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phurious View Post
Haha - yeh it does, but with used copies going for £29+ on Amazon, I can suffer not staring at the sleeve art.
shiiiit, really? One of those I remember seeing going dirt cheap on numerous occasions but never bought . . .

Like this? Share it using the links below!