Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 01:14 PM

I already have The Maltese Falcon and The Lady Vanishes, both of which are superb films with excellent AV quality - I haven't yet gone through the extra features - and have the UK Requiem for a Dream BD, so I doubt I'll double-dip on that one. Forgive my ignorance, but what's that Criterion BD with Tokyo on the cover?

I imagine my next order with Planet Axel will pretty much consist of the Jean Rollin Redemption titles!

Gojirosan 25th February 2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 219731)
Forgive my ignorance, but what's that Criterion BD with Tokyo on the cover?

Seijun Suzuki's excellent Tokyo Drifter. A superb film.

antmumford 25th February 2012 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 219726)
I can see why you chose your username!

I haven't seen that yet, but it looks pectastic! I read an article in the Guardian about a guy who interviewed Tom Hardy and was almost in fear for his life the whole time, also outlining the amazing preparation Hardy put in to look the part and really be able to fight.

It's a fantastic film with some fantastic extras on the disc too. It goes into the details of how they prepared for the film, all the immense training etc. Tom Hardy didn't know how to fight at all but the trainer turned him into a beast.

sawyer6 25th February 2012 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 219732)

And must be incredible in hd!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by antmumford (Post 219733)
It's a fantastic film with some fantastic extras on the disc too. It goes into the details of how they prepared for the film, all the immense training etc. Tom Hardy didn't know how to fight at all but the trainer turned him into a beast.

I know he spent around 16 hours a day working with different martial arts practitioners to learn how to fight, plus learning his lines and eating a high protein diet to get his body into shape, something similar to when Mark Wahlberg improved his boxing and gradually worked himself into fighting shape when secretly preparing for The Fighter.

With modern training techniques, nutritionists and dietary supplements, such work must be (relatively) easier than when Robert De Nero became a fairly accomplished 160 lbs boxer for Raging Bull, before gaining 80 lbs to play the older, heavier Jake LaMotta.

Anyway, I digress, Warrior sounds like a good watch and I'll either pick up the BD as a blind buy or wait until it comes on Sky Movies; it all depends on my financial situation!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 25th February 2012 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 219732)

I thought it might be, but wasn't sure. In any case, that's another for the wish list and my next visit to PA!

nekromantik 25th February 2012 01:44 PM

You guys who can afford big hauls can keep using axel while guys like me who only buy one or 2 at a time cant shop there anymore! Sucks as they are only customs friendly store.

Baseball Fury 25th February 2012 01:54 PM

Movietyme are customs friendly, a lot of their stuff ships from inside the uk

nekromantik 25th February 2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baseball Fury (Post 219740)
Movietyme are customs friendly, a lot of their stuff ships from inside the uk

They aint very cheap though.
£24 for Paranormal activity 3.

Only the UK 3 day items ship from UK, rest of it comes from US.

Nemesis 25th February 2012 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 219739)
You guys who can afford big hauls can keep using axel while guys like me who only buy one or 2 at a time cant shop there anymore! Sucks as they are only customs friendly store.

Nekromantik - do you know that Axel have recently lowered their handling and shipping fee from $4.99 to $1.99? But unfortunately, they have scrapped the rewards scheme.