Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

nosferatu42 7th September 2020 10:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I can't really talk i sat and watched Paganini Horror the other night and although it was absolute garbage i kinda enjoyed it, so what do i know.

Attachment 227523

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th September 2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 634706)
I can't really talk i sat and watched Paganini Horror the other night and although it was absolute garbage i kinda enjoyed it, so what do i know.

Attachment 227523

I was going to order a dvd from WOWHD now that my last order has turned up and was trying to decide between Paganini Horror and The Devil's Honey. (Two films 88 couldn't be arsed to release on dvd)

nosferatu42 7th September 2020 10:24 PM

I haven't seen Devil's Honey, Paganini is a bad film, but i have an affection for dodgy italian nonsensical tat.
If a badly made, atrociously dubbed film, with a nonsensical story, and incredibly crap acting sounds like your bag then go ahead.
As i said i kinda enjoyed it but i still wouldn't rate it beyond a 5/10.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th September 2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 634708)
I haven't seen Devil's Honey, Paganini is a bad film, but i have an affection for dodgy italian nonsensical tat.
If a badly made, atrociously dubbed film, with a nonsensical story, and incredibly crap acting sounds like your bag then go ahead.
As i said i kinda enjoyed it but i still wouldn't rate it beyond a 5/10.

The thing is it's artwork is class. :lol:

nosferatu42 7th September 2020 10:38 PM

Yep Darkside magazine had it on the cover back in the early days, classy pic that one.:nod:

gag 8th September 2020 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634703)
I'd have bought it for that price.

Dynasty wasn't as good as Dallas. Speaking of Dallas, i'm currently half way through the fifth season as i type.

Sadly i only have the first five series on dvd. They go for silly money nowadays and the complete series plus movies is £89.99 on Amazon. If they'd reduce it by twenty notes i'd probably buy it. :lol:

Couldn’t stand American soaps like these, and don’t forget there was falcon crest as well, they tried rebooting both these Dynasty around 2017 and Dallas around 2014.

gag 8th September 2020 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634703)
I'd have bought it for that price.

Dynasty wasn't as good as Dallas. Speaking of Dallas, i'm currently half way through the fifth season as i type.

Sadly i only have the first five series on dvd. They go for silly money nowadays and the complete series plus movies is £89.99 on Amazon. If they'd reduce it by twenty notes i'd probably buy it. :lol:

Look on cex website got quite a few series for sale for less than a £10, eg series 14 is only £6.
Be as dear in the long run but paying £6 here and there won’t feel as if it’s hurting your wallet as much.

trebor8273 8th September 2020 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gag (Post 634714)
Look on cex website got quite a few series for sale for less than a £10, eg series 14 is only £6.
Be as dear in the long run but paying £6 here and there won’t feel as if it’s hurting your wallet as much.

The only thing is the movies weren't released here separately , and looking they go for about £30 -40, so if you do want them as well would say Box set is good value.

Have to say not a big soap fan but found American ones better , with them being so OTT , while ours are pretty boring and depressing!

Think the dynasty reboot is still going

trebor8273 8th September 2020 09:27 PM

Well I've done it, just bought Dallas set off eBay for £55. Good condition from photos apart from two of the cases are cracked and slight bash in one corner. But for this price I can live with that.

So just need to get a big wig and bigger shoulder pads!

marvinnashsear 8th September 2020 09:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Attachment 227544 Attachment 227545 Attachment 227546 Attachment 227547 Attachment 227548

Arrivals this week. Not seen any of them. The Manson book looks interesting, a different take than Helter Skelter.

Graveyard 8th September 2020 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634707)
I was going to order a dvd from WOWHD now that my last order has turned up and was trying to decide between Paganini Horror and The Devil's Honey. (Two films 88 couldn't be arsed to release on dvd)

Without seeing Paganini, I will still say Devil's Honey - so much class in this movie.. :woot: probably one of my favourite Fulci movies.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graveyard (Post 634756)
Without seeing Paganini, I will still say Devil's Honey - so much class in this movie.. :woot: probably one of my favourite Fulci movies.

Thanks, Graveyard.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th September 2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 634752)
Well I've done it, just bought Dallas set off eBay for £55. Good condition from photos apart from two of the cases are cracked and slight bash in one corner. But for this price I can live with that.

So just need to get a big wig and bigger shoulder pads!

According to the Amazon spec it's 357 episodes plus four movies and a whopping 105 discs. :shocked:

MuckyFunster 9th September 2020 04:36 AM

Has anyone on here ever bought the complete Coronation Street? Around £30 per 10 year’s worth on Zavvi [emoji38]

My dad moved to Australia when I was wee and for Xmas one year he asked me to record a load of Eastenders off the TV and post it across. I filled a 3 hour tape on LP! [emoji318]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iank 9th September 2020 07:54 AM

My first M disc (100GB, can only be burned once). I'm wary of screwing up the burn at that price. :scared:

gag 9th September 2020 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MuckyFunster (Post 634781)
Has anyone on here ever bought the complete Coronation Street? Around £30 per 10 year’s worth on Zavvi [emoji38]

My dad moved to Australia when I was wee and for Xmas one year he asked me to record a load of Eastenders off the TV and post it across. I filled a 3 hour tape on LP! [emoji318]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coronation street It’s not quite the whole series, it’s the best episodes over the 10yrs .

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2020 01:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Wrong Turn set just arrived from Music Magpie. I'm pleased with the quality of the discs, the cases too, i was expecting a shitty cardboard digi pack. The outer case is a little scuffed but i won't be keeping that anyway. To say i only wanted the sixth film for my £3.09 spent i'm now contemplating getting rid of my others as these thin cases take up less room. :lol:

gag 10th September 2020 05:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Days gone on ps4 £18

And mermaid ltd edition tin boxset was only £2 so I thought what the heck for that price mere pennies.

trebor8273 10th September 2020 05:43 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More for the Tv ark.

Justin101 10th September 2020 06:01 PM

BSG Reboot :rockon:

iank 10th September 2020 08:54 PM

I've pre-ordered season 1 of Sons and Daughters. Rather wonderfully, season 2 is already scheduled for December, which hopefully means we'll get them all done by the end of next year.
And a certain someone can't say a word now I know he likes Dallas... :tongue1::dance:;)

marvinnashsear 10th September 2020 09:43 PM

Wowhd just shipped Abel Ferrara's new film Tommaso and the Vestron Shivers. Haven't seen Shivers in decades. Looking forward to it.

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2020 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 634923)
BSG Reboot :rockon:

I've had that very same set Treb has just purchased for about ten years and i'm yet to watch it. Only paid a tenner for it which is probably similar to what Treb's cost.

I saw the pilot three hour thing, loved it and never bothered with the rest. :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 10th September 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 634922)
More for the Tv ark.

I'm sure i asked you this last time you bought the Hulk box set, but does it talk to you, Treb?

Mine says "You won't like me when i'm angry" or at least it did until the battery wore out. :lol:

Justin101 10th September 2020 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634980)
I've had that very same set Treb has just purchased for about ten years and i'm yet to watch it. Only paid a tenner for it which is probably similar to what Treb's cost.

I saw the pilot three hour thing, loved it and never bothered with the rest. :lol:

It gets so much better after the pilot mini-series! It’s due a rewatch for me, but it’ll have to be after I’ve educated myself in other topics haha. It’s currently on BBC iPlayer.

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvinnashsear (Post 634978)
Wowhd just shipped Abel Ferrara's new film Tommaso and the Vestron Shivers. Haven't seen Shivers in decades. Looking forward to it.

Shivers is my favourite early Cronenberg film,( before Videodrome) it always seems a bit vicious and punky, kinda reminds me of an early James Herbert novel like The Fog/ The Dark.
An outbreak of sex and violence.:woot:
And it's got Barbara Steele and Lynn Lowry in so all is well.:clap:

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 10:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this the other day.
When i saw it i felt i owed it to my inner teenage Goth.:lol:

Attachment 227604

Haven't actually got round to reading much but had a flick through, the main focus seems to be on Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees with a side dose of The Mission and Sisters of mercy. Which is fine up to a point.

Other bands appear but Nephilim are sidelined and there is no article on early Cult stuff which i would have thought would be mandatory. Its ok but looked more impressive than it turned out to be.
Also no Damned, and yes i know they were more punk but they definitely had a goth phase.

I was kind of a second generation Goth, it was about 86 onwards so i'd missed the heyday but there was enough still going on to fuel the fire.

Of most interest though is that it has a listing of 100 essential goth songs, a lot of them i've never even heard.:scared:
It looks like they've basically taken one song from each band, so it's quite interesting as a pointer to other bands i am not familiar with.:cool:

I was aware of about 40ish bands listed.

I've spent the night listening to the first 20 songs listed and have liked quite a few, so i'm gonna go through the list bit by bit and indulge in a trip back to vibes of my misspent youth. :rockon:

Nordicdusk 10th September 2020 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 634992)
Got this the other day.
When i saw it i felt i owed it to my inner teenage Goth.:lol:

Attachment 227604

Haven't actually got round to reading much but had a flick through, the main focus seems to be on Bauhaus, The Cure, Siouxsie and the Banshees with a side dose of The Mission and Sisters of mercy. Which is fine up to a point.

Other bands appear but Nephilim are sidelined and there is no article on early Cult stuff which i would have thought would be mandatory. Its ok but looked more impressive than it turned out to be.
Also no Damned, and yes i know they were more punk but they definitely had a goth phase.

I was kind of a second generation Goth, it was about 86 onwards so i'd missed the heyday but there was enough still going on to fuel the fire.

Of most interest though is that it has a listing of 100 essential goth songs, a lot of them i've never even heard.:scared:
It looks like they've basically taken one song from each band, so it's quite interesting as a pointer to other bands i am not familiar with.:cool:

I was aware of about 40ish bands listed.

I've spent the night listening to the first 20 songs listed and have liked quite a few, so i'm gonna go through the list bit by bit and indulge in a trip back to vibes of my misspent youth. :rockon:

Hope you post some videos on the what i am listening to thread of some of the lesser known bands you like.

nosferatu42 10th September 2020 11:16 PM

You may regret that.;)

iank 11th September 2020 02:58 AM

Arrived:

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/jv0AA...RM/s-l1600.jpg

trebor8273 11th September 2020 05:16 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 634983)
I'm sure i asked you this last time you bought the Hulk box set, but does it talk to you, Treb?

Mine says "You won't like me when i'm angry" or at least it did until the battery wore out. :lol:

No, it's not they seem to go for silly money on ebay .

More for The tv ark . Dallas set plays the theme tune when you press JRs hat.

Nordicdusk 11th September 2020 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nosferatu42 (Post 634997)
You may regret that.;)

Never regret finding new music :lol:

trebor8273 12th September 2020 11:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Even more!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 12th September 2020 12:05 PM

Do you have more hours in the day than everyone else, Trebor?

gag 12th September 2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 635155)

:lol: I don’t go out to work I’m my partner career she has quite a few underlining health problems and needs care, and I just manage to find time to watch one film a day :lol:

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th September 2020 01:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This weeks new arrivals.

It / The Shuttered Room from WOWHD and Dr. Terror from the recent Classic Films Direct sale, bought purely for the documentary's from Nucleus Films.

trebor8273 14th September 2020 01:00 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 635155)

Yes I do. Mr Barlow is the only person with more hours in a day.

Charity shop finds.

MrBarlow 14th September 2020 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just lucky to find those hours :pound:

Arrived today.

Attachment 227710

trebor8273 14th September 2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 635307)
I'm just lucky to find those hours :pound:

Arrived today.

Attachment 227710

Well at least you can focus on watching one show at a time, something I can't seem to do.

Justin101 14th September 2020 04:22 PM

One very funny film!

https://i.ibb.co/xXRGHfp/IMG-20200914-172443.jpg