Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Pete 8th April 2011 05:18 PM

Oh good, I'll be ordering a copy soon.

pedromonkey 8th April 2011 07:17 PM

picked up the remake of I Spit On Your Grave today for 8.00, well chuffed with that...

oaxaca 9th April 2011 01:34 PM

Good price pedro!

I just picked up:
http://www.dvd-bluray-reviews.com/im...ray---1951.jpghttp://i43.tower.com/images/mm116855...-cover-art.jpg

£16 all in using my £5 off orders over £20 at play.com voucher I won the other day at McDonalds of all places :p Bought Isaac Hayes' TRUCK TURNER on DVD to make the order up to 20 quid.

pedromonkey 9th April 2011 01:55 PM

was in Home Bargains yesterday and found these for 1.99 each...

Punch Drunk Love
The Patriot
(Seagal not Gibson)

Then ordered these on amazon...

Moon 44 (giving a bit of love to Pare these days)
Westworld (to go with my Futureworld)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 141740)
Good price pedro!

I just picked up:
http://www.dvd-bluray-reviews.com/im...ray---1951.jpghttp://i43.tower.com/images/mm116855...-cover-art.jpg

£16 all in using my £5 off orders over £20 at play.com voucher I won the other day at McDonalds of all places :p Bought Isaac Hayes' TRUCK TURNER on DVD to make the order up to 20 quid.

An interesting selection. Truck Turner is a terrific piece of blaxploitation fun, the Paranoiac Blu-ray is exceptional and I've only seen The African Queen (hey, that rhymes) on DVD but I'll have to give it a rent before buying (yet another) DVD or BD this month!

oaxaca 9th April 2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 141745)
was in Home Bargains yesterday and found these for 1.99 each...

Punch Drunk Love
The Patriot
(Seagal not Gibson)

Then ordered these on amazon...

Moon 44 (giving a bit of love to Pare these days)
Westworld (to go with my Futureworld)

Nice sci-fi buys there Pedro!! MOON 44 is such an entertaining film and oh-so-eighties (and I LOVE 80s :p). WESTWORLD, FUTUREWORLD (& LOGANS RUN) are all 70s sci-fi's that are high on my list to watch, having never seen any of them. However I'm not sure I'm much of a Yul Brynner fan.

Have you seen the Sean Connery sci-fi film OUTLANDER? Its one I'd highly recommend if you havent :) I also have ZARDOZ, another Connery sci-fi film sitting in my DVD to-watch pile, have heard good things about that 1 too.

Seagal's THE PATRIOT is pretty awful in an entertaining (as always) way and I guess lies just about the right side of the Seagals "golden period" i.e. pre-2000 :p although many I guess would say his golden period would be pre-1994 :p

pedromonkey 9th April 2011 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 141750)
Nice sci-fi buys there Pedro!! MOON 44 is such an entertaining film and oh-so-eighties (and I LOVE 80s :p). WESTWORLD, FUTUREWORLD (& LOGANS RUN) are all 70s sci-fi's that are high on my list to watch, having never seen any of them. However I'm not sure I'm much of a Yul Brynner fan.

Have you seen the Sean Connery sci-fi film OUTLANDER? Its one I'd highly recommend if you havent :) I also have ZARDOZ, another Connery sci-fi film sitting in my DVD to-watch pile, have heard good things about that 1 too.

Logan's Run is great oaxaca, very 70s but oh so cool, Watched Outland about 2 weeks ago for the first time and really enjoyed it. Zardoz is an odd film, it's good but just a bit weird. Moon 44 was on movies4men last night and i caught the end of it. I'd seen it many years ago and though screw it, 1.49 on amazon, i'll get it. I have an entire 6 shelf bookcase of sci-fi which im currently trying to work through again.

I Watched The Patriot last night and it's not a typical Seagal movie, one fight scene only, but it's an interesting film. It's very much a hybrid of a few other films most notably Outbreak...but it was fun.

Argentofan 9th April 2011 02:47 PM

In The Line Of Fire

Death Wish

Die Screaming Marianne

Thelma and Louise

Blue Velvet

PaulRobinson 9th April 2011 03:32 PM

Ordered yet more Blue Underground blu-rays today!

Dead & Buried
Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue
Two Evil Eyes

Only fourteen to go now, announced titles excluded... getting there!

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 141750)
I guess lies just about the right side of the Seagals "golden period" i.e. pre-2000 :p although many I guess would say his golden period would be pre-1994 :p

I'd go one year higher with that and put Exit Wounds as his last film of the 'Golden Period'. Probably the last film before he started hiding his bulk underneath coats.

bdc 9th April 2011 05:13 PM

Picked these up new for 1 Euro each at my local shop... :)

- Dead Ahead aka Zyzzyx Rd (2006) (DFW)
- Eden Lake (2008) (DFW)
- Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow (2004) (RCV)
- B. Monkey (1998) (RCV)

bdc 9th April 2011 05:16 PM

Nice haul! :thumb:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 05:59 PM

I can also recommend the German BD of THE HOWLING which has a reversible cover to hide that ugly censorship sticker.;)

Das Tier 1 - The Howling [Blu-ray]: Amazon.de: Dee Wallace Stone, Patrick MacNee, Dennis Dugan, John Carradine, Christopher Stone, Belinda Balaski, Joe Dante: DVD & Blu-ray

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:00 PM

Don't suppose we'll be getting a steely Dan of this in the UK will we? :rolleyes:

Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod Limited Steelbook, inklusive Poster Blu-ray: Amazon.de: Charles Bronson, Henry Fonda, Jason Robards, Paolo Stoppa, Woody Strode, Claudia Cardinale, Jack Elam, Keenan Wynn, Gabriele Ferzetti, Lionel Stander, Frank Wolff, Ser

Argentofan 9th April 2011 06:09 PM

Eden Lake is great. For 1 euro it's a steal!

oaxaca 9th April 2011 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 141758)
I'd go one year higher with that and put Exit Wounds as his last film of the 'Golden Period'. Probably the last film before he started hiding his bulk underneath coats.

Can't argue with that Stephen, EXIT WOUNDS was a very fun movie. :nod:

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 129111)
8.00 on ebay, that is a steal and is why i love korean dvds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromonkey (Post 129115)
i only have the R2 Mgm release, i think i'll be getting that one now.

The only thing it's good for is the artwork. As I said in another thread, the Korean dvd has been censored. The nudity has been blurred, although it hasn't at the beginning of the film for some reason. I think it's because the shots of Mathilda May sleeping in the "coffin" are only 1 or 2 seconds long.

oaxaca 9th April 2011 06:44 PM

Oooo that looks nice!! Very very nice. Although its tough to decide whether its better to have english writing on the box or to have a German steely w/ poster. hmmm...

As for THE HOWLING. There is also a French version out too. The only thing that stopped me buying a European release was the god awful Euro-to-GBP exchange rate.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 141793)
Can't argue with that Stephen, EXIT WOUNDS was a very fun movie. :nod:

At a push, I would have even put Half Past Dead in there......if they had made it R-rated insted of PG-13.

Stephen@Cult Labs 9th April 2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 141795)
The only thing that stopped me buying a European release was the god awful Euro-to-GBP exchange rate.

Indeed, it may as well be £1 to the Euro for all the difference there is!

antmumford 9th April 2011 10:18 PM

Just picked up Casshern Steelbook DVD, The Princess And The Frog (Triple Play BD with slip) and Ratatouille (BD with slip). All for only £24

pedromonkey 9th April 2011 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 141796)
At a push, I would have even put Half Past Dead in there......if they had made it R-rated insted of PG-13.

Half Past Dead is great fun, only problem for me was Ja-rule, he really annoyes the hell out of me, but Morris Chestnut was cool. Ive amassed about 8 pre 2001 Seagal movies, just need Marked For Death, Fire Down Below, On Deadly Ground, The Glimmer Man, Hard to Kill and Under Siege 2 now.

BioZombie 10th April 2011 09:26 AM

I watched Zombieland on BD again last night. The pic quality is great, but what I really notice is the sound. There are a load of subtle sound effects I didnt pick up in the cinema and I notice new stuff every time I watch. For example when Jessie Eisenberg and Woody Harrelson meet there is a nod to For A Few Dollars More in the score.

necroluciferia 10th April 2011 09:27 AM

Recent purchases, most I'm still waiting to arrive -

What have they done to your daughters?
Unhinged
Jack Ketchum's The girl next door
Cannibal Ferox
Witch who came from the sea
Blood feast
Blood & Black lace
Don't torture a duckling
The Church
Emanuelle In America
Living dead at Manchester morgue
Meat grinder
House by the cemetery

Kyle 10th April 2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by necroluciferia (Post 141857)
Recent purchases, most I'm still waiting to arrive -

What have they done to your daughters?
Unhinged
Jack Ketchum's The girl next door :rockon:
Cannibal Ferox :rockon:
Witch who came from the sea
Blood feast
Blood & Black lace
Don't torture a duckling :rockon:
The Church :rockon:
Emanuelle In America :rockon:
Living dead at Manchester morgue
Meat grinder :rockon:
House by the cemetery

good choices :) girl next door is a great film and book is worth a read too

bdc 10th April 2011 09:40 AM

Nice haul!
Which version of Unhinged did you get?
I'm looking to get that one as well... ;)

Oh,which version of Blood & Black lace did you get?

necroluciferia 10th April 2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 141862)
Nice haul!
Which version of Unhinged did you get?
I'm looking to get that one as well... ;)

Oh,which version of Blood & Black lace did you get?

This one for Unhinged - Unhinged [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Laurel Munson, Janet Penner, Sara Ansley, Virginia Settle, John Morrison, Barbara Lusch, Bill Simmonds, Francine Molter, Dave Hood, Richard Blakeslee, Don Gronquist, Foster Castleman, Phillips Blair, Dale Farr, Dan Biggs . It is one of the 'nasties' I haven't seen and I'm currently trying to complete the list some way or another and watch the ones I have been avoiding lol

And I got the VCI Video US import version of Blood and Black Lace.

I watched Girl Next Door the other night and thought it was excellent. Very disturbing and even more so given that it is based on a true story. Must read the book! :)

bdc 10th April 2011 10:32 AM

Thanks for the info,curious about the pic quality of that UK dvd of Unhinged...wonder how it compares to the US one... ;)

PaulD 10th April 2011 11:35 AM

Ordered the Arrow version of Sleepless yesterday and just bought blurays of Phenomena and Deep Red. That's my Argento Arrow collection finally up to date! Really regret not waiting until I got a bluray player before buying Inferno (and City of the Living Dead) - might end up double-dipping at some point with the Blue Underground versions just to be different.

re.form 10th April 2011 05:46 PM

Just ordered two of my all time faves that strangely I have never owned - Cannibal Apocalypse & the wonderful The Living Dead at the Manchester Morgue.

bdc 10th April 2011 06:05 PM

Just scored a bunch of dvd's from a Dutch collector... :)

nekromantik 10th April 2011 07:10 PM

just bought the dorm that dripped blood blu!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 141960)

Snap! I bought it a couple of days ago from Axel Music.

bdc 10th April 2011 07:26 PM

Nice,curious about that one...
I think it's region free?
Waiting for the price to drop a bit... ;)

PaulRobinson 10th April 2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekromantik (Post 141960)

Is that still on for the 26th? I will be obtaining this too, really looking forward to it!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulRobinson (Post 141964)
Is that still on for the 26th? I will be obtaining this too, really looking forward to it!

I'm not sure when it's released as I've already had shipping confirmation! Looking at the prices now, it probably would've been cheaper from Amazon.com.

bdc 10th April 2011 07:42 PM

But but...all those Axel Points! :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 10th April 2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdc (Post 141969)
But but...all those Axel Points! :)

Good point. I also ordered Rituals while I was there but, for a DVD, it was very expensive!

nekromantik 10th April 2011 07:46 PM

nah amazon US has it for £17 inc shipping atm.
Mine is from movietyme.

bdc 10th April 2011 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 141971)
Good point. I also ordered Rituals while I was there but, for a DVD, it was very expensive!

Well,it's a brand spanking new Code Red dvd and those are worth their weight in gold! ;)

I just made this Rituals comparison for someone:

DvdPacific US$ $13.74 + US$ 4.98 = US$ 18.72 Not shipping yet it seems

PlanetAxel (formerly AxelMusic) US$ 17.83 + US$ 2.98 = US$ 20.81 Shipping

And you get 600 Axel Points...