Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 06:54 PM

The postie brought some BDs from Planet Axel this morning: Plan 9 from Outer Space, Machine Gun McCain, Django and Baba Yaga.

I'll probably have a brief look at Plan 9 tonight and then watch it in full tomorrow as I'm intrigued by the HD remastering.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 234389)
Django is awesome

I've only seen it once, but liked it so much I felt I had to watch the BD and see what the HD remastering is like.

tollickd 21st April 2012 07:39 PM

I am thinking with planet axels free shipping if I should invest in bu inferno, deep red and maybe city of the living dead? I have the arrow blu rays and not sure if the extras warrant the extra order.

skankenstoned 21st April 2012 08:34 PM

This might not be the best thread to ask this on but rather than start a new one I thought I'd go ahead any way...

Amazon have a lot of Blue Underground DVD's and most of them state that they are region 1 only, however, their releases of Fight For Your Life and Mountain Of The Cannibal God appear to be region free. Since I'm still just a region 2 DVD caveman type could anyone with a broad knowledge of BU releases please let me know which of their DVD releases are region free? I appreciate any help on this guys :)

PaulD 21st April 2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skankenstoned (Post 234430)
This might not be the best thread to ask this on but rather than start a new one I thought I'd go ahead any way...

Amazon have a lot of Blue Underground DVD's and most of them state that they are region 1 only, however, their releases of Fight For Your Life and Mountain Of The Cannibal God appear to be region free. Since I'm still just a region 2 DVD caveman type could anyone with a broad knowledge of BU releases please let me know which of their DVD releases are region free? I appreciate any help on this guys :)

Amazon are rubbish for this sort of thing - as far as I am aware all of the Blue Underground dvds are Region Free. In fact, I think the only region-locked Blue Underground release to date is the Django bluray

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 21st April 2012 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tollickd (Post 234419)
I am thinking with planet axels free shipping if I should invest in bu inferno, deep red and maybe city of the living dead? I have the arrow blu rays and not sure if the extras warrant the extra order.

It all depends how much you like the films and whether you tend to double-dip. If you're not one for buying extra copies of films because of the artwork or slightly different extra features, I'd stick with the Arrow Video releases.

tollickd 21st April 2012 08:48 PM

Yeah I think I will, they are the better releases!

skankenstoned 21st April 2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 234431)
Amazon are rubbish for this sort of thing - as far as I am aware all of the Blue Underground dvds are Region Free. In fact, I think the only region-locked Blue Underground release to date is the Django bluray

Thanks a lot PaulD, much appreciated! FFYL is at a pretty decent price at the mo' and I really want a good uncut MOTCG but armed with this knowledge I shall check out more of their titles as I've heard mostly good things about BU :popcorn:

PaulD 21st April 2012 09:47 PM

Blue Underground are indeed a great company. You can always check their website for region coding confirmation too but I'm fairly certain the information in my previous post is spot on :)

keirarts 21st April 2012 09:49 PM

lol.

I remember getting an enquiry from someone who bought a blu-underground disc off me via marketplace.

'Amazon states this is a region 1, but the version you sent me was region 0, what can we do about this'

So I replied 'watch the movie!'

Region 0 plays on any machine as far as i'm aware and blu-underground dont region code the discs.

back to topic.....

Just spent the evening watching the lionsgate blu-ray of ninth gate.

A very underrated horror imo, not so much out-and-out scary rather more mysterious and full of dread. I know it got a bit of a slating on release but i've always enjoyed it. The lionsgate blu is region free, looks great and has the commentary track as well. Last time i checked it was dirt cheap to pick up.

Then I watched EVERYTHING on the Exterminator blu from arrow. I already own the synapse one but i'm glad i double dipped (I f****g love the film) the commentary is interesting but I prefer the synapse one, otherwise though I fel the arrow release is the better package, If only for the hennenlotter featturette. Frank Hennenlotter is still one of the most intersting blokes to listen to in film, and his basket case commentary on the something weird dvd release is excellent. He's on top form here and I just wish they could have made it even longer.