Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

oaxaca 3rd May 2012 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 238339)
Chinatown
High and Low
The Killing / Killer's Kiss
Kiss Me Deadly
The Maltese Falcon
The Naked Kiss
Rififi
Scarlet Street
Shock Corridor
Sweet Smell of Success
The Third Man
Touch of Evil

Plus, I have Eureka's Double Indemnity and The Lost Weekend on pre-order.

I also keep meaning to pick up Night of the Hunter.

Like it, great collection! Of those you listed I have:

Touch of Evil
The Third Man
Scarlet Street
Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend

Also, Brighton Rock and The Stranger (I guess those are classed as noir) :)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd May 2012 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 238378)

Touch of Evil
The Third Man
Scarlet Street
Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend

Is The Stranger the HD Cinema Classics release?

What's the quality like? I've been toying with the idea of picking it up along with their release of Kansas City Confidential and The Red House.

Criterion7 3rd May 2012 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 238378)

Touch of Evil
The Third Man
Scarlet Street
Maltese Falcon
Double Indemnity
The Lost Weekend

Looks like we need a film noir thread. I have a fairly big collection myself of film noir.

Make Them Die Slowly 3rd May 2012 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArrowFan (Post 238416)
Looks like we need a film noir thread. I have a fairly big collection myself of film noir.

Here you go.:)http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/clas...n-must-go.html

Daemonia 4th May 2012 01:40 AM

Now, I've seen all the Rollin films. I really must get these BDs.

Rollin is not orthodox, so it needs to be viewed from an off-kilter viewpoint. They are not regular horror films. But beautiful they most certainly are. Always coherent? No. But that's not what you're looking for, is it?

keirarts 4th May 2012 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 238410)

What's the quality like? I've been toying with the idea of picking it up along with their release of Kansas City Confidential and The Red House.

I don't have the stranger myself, but I have DEmentia 13, the terror, poor pretty eddie and zaat all from HD cinema classics and every one has been excellent quality so the odds are very good the stranger and kansas city will look great.

oaxaca 4th May 2012 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 238410)

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 238443)
I don't have the stranger myself, but I have DEmentia 13, the terror, poor pretty eddie and zaat all from HD cinema classics and every one has been excellent quality so the odds are very good the stranger and kansas city will look great.

Yes, HD Cinema Classics. I wouldn't say its a great picture though. Its great as in it looks very smooth; there is no film grain and no print damage. But I think they just went crazy with DNR or something as there's no fine detail either, very waxy looking. Some people will like it and some people won't I guess! A bit like what Koch did with Fulci's Silver Saddle on blu.

keirarts 4th May 2012 07:08 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well, Code red total before postage $142!!:eek:

Though not bad for 22 dvd's I suppose.

After that I decided to risk GANJA AND HESS as I suspect its region locked but i've wanted the movie for ages. GRAND DUEL/KEOMA, and DRACULA PRINCE OF DARKNESS.

Attachment 60708

Attachment 60709

Attachment 60710

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 238443)

I also have Dementia 13, Poor Pretty Eddie, and The Terror, all of which are very decent.

(Is Zaat any good, btw? I've never seen it)

I was a bit unsure of the label at first, as they were basically taking public domain films and giving them the blu-ray treatment. The masters they were using were undoubtedly treated badly through the years, but regarding the three titles I already own above, all have never received a decent DVD release, and so my sceptism turned to pleasant surprise when I watched them - Dementia 13 looked way better than my old DVD copy.

If you're used to Avatar-esque PQ, then I'd certainly recommend to stay away from these releases, but considering the sources, and the films in question, the ones I have seen look pretty damn good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 238445)
Yes, HD Cinema Classics. I wouldn't say its a great picture though. Its great as in it looks very smooth; there is no film grain and no print damage. But I think they just went crazy with DNR or something as there's no fine detail either, very waxy looking. Some people will like it and some people won't I guess! A bit like what Koch did with Fulci's Silver Saddle on blu.

Thanks mate. For the cheap prices that these titles sell for, I'll probably take the plunge in the not-to-distant future.

This is one I've never owned on DVD, so won't be too annoyed if it looks a bit DNR heavy. I'm guessing they may have had to have gone mad with the DNR if the print was very bad in places.

Kyle 4th May 2012 07:28 AM

all this talk of film noir has got me interested, what would be a good starting point? don't think i have seen any yet!