Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 05:57 PM

Really good beginning to a collection, Kyle. As keirarts said, Sucker Punch and the Nightmare on Elm Street remake are rubbish, but I suppose Zack Snyder's film will look good in HD.

keirarts 4th May 2012 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 238685)
Really good beginning to a collection, Kyle. As keirarts said, Sucker Punch and the Nightmare on Elm Street remake are rubbish, but I suppose Zack Snyder's film will look good in HD.

Dont get me wrong, as a showcase for how good movies on blu-ray can look sucker punch looks phenomenal. But then so does watchmen and thats a better movie. The origional nightmare on elm street also looks stunning and for me is a better showcase for the format than the turgid remake.

PaulD 4th May 2012 06:01 PM

I bought Sucker Punch on BD as an ex-rental for about £4 although I've heard bad things. I'm interested in Zack Snyder for all his flaws (SLOOO-MOOOOOO) so will still look forward to giving it a go.

keirarts 4th May 2012 06:01 PM

and hey, I think house of the devil is so damnned good it'll more than make up for the other two.

keirarts 4th May 2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 238690)
I bought Sucker Punch on BD as an ex-rental for about £4 although I've heard bad things. I'm interested in Zack Snyder for all his flaws (SLOOO-MOOOOOO) so will still look forward to giving it a go.

my main problem with the film is synder thinks hes being a lot more clever than he is. The trouble is the film dosent hold up, theres several glaring plot holes and I still have no idea WHO any of the characters were.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulD (Post 238690)

Oh, there's plenty of frame rate adjustment in Sucker Punch. Like 300, it would be 30% shorter if the whole film was at 24 frames per second!

PaulD 4th May 2012 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 238694)
Oh, there's plenty of frame rate adjustment in Sucker Punch. Like 300, it would be 30% shorter if the whole film was at 24 frames per second!

He's a clever sod, I'll give him that.

Zack Snyder: "So, how long does this Sucker Punch film have to be?"
Movie Exec: "110 minutes exactly"
Zack Snyder: "Oh, that'll take ages to shoot. Come on! I want to go on holiday!"
Movie Exec: "It has to be 110 minutes Zack, no corner-cutting ok? We're still annoyed you remade Dawn of the Dead and did that stupid film about magical owls"
Zack Snyder (spotting the Slow Motion button on the Avid editing system): "Eureka! I have it!"
Movie Exec: "Huh?"
Zack Snyder: "Nevermind!"

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 238693)
my main problem with the film is synder thinks hes being a lot more clever than he is. The trouble is the film dosent hold up, theres several glaring plot holes and I still have no idea WHO any of the characters were.

SPOILER ALERT!!

The main character (whose name escapes me) is in an asylum the whole time after being dropped off by her abusive father and the other characters are fellow patients/inmates. At least that's how I saw things.

My main problem was just how misogynistic the whole thing seemed to be, with all the female characters seemingly played by attractive actresses in their 20s, who spend most of the film dressed as strippers or in PVC fetish gear!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th May 2012 06:20 PM

Anyway, that's enough about Sucker Punch as The Dark Knight, Apocalypto, The House of the Devil, District 9, I Saw the Devil, The Signal, Oldboy and the Alien films more than compensate!

oaxaca 4th May 2012 06:34 PM

Watched a few blu rays lately:

Two Lane Blacktop
The Hills Run Red (Aus release of the Western starring Henry Silva)
Ugetsu Monagatari - the pick of the bunch!
Miss Oyu - the 'B side' to the previous title

Just settling down to watch the German release of Hell House :D Haven't seen the film for several years so looking forward to it!

edit: just ordered Sansho Dayu to go with Ugetsu Monagatari :)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...500_AA300_.jpg