Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Demdike@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 240862)
Creatures from the abyss is a definate must watch..

Its totally awful and barmy but in a good way. Features one piece of dialoug that had me in stiches.

"doctor how long have you been f*****g fish?!"

"their old enough!"

A group of irritating teens get stranded at sea through their own stupidity and end up on an adrift science vessel where some genuinely weird $%$t has been going on. Again, a bad film certainly but a fun one as well.

Have you seen Cormans own remake of Humanoids from the Deep starring Emma Samms (Dynasty)

Thats very enjoyable.

InDogWeTrust 11th May 2012 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 240882)
They're in canvas slipcovers, and they're $6.95 at the moment in my local JB

Yes I know. I like them! They're $7.99 at my local. I don't mind paying that much. Inside the canvas slipcover is the ordinary special edition of each film.

Gojirosan 11th May 2012 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 240901)
What about the one I ordered,the UK one?

The Nouveaux Pics one? I rented it a few years ago.

It's perfectly watchable, but is non-anamorphic (not too bad with 1.66:1) and the pic is a little fuzzier than the Criterion.

Not a bad transfer by any means, just that the Criterion is better.

What ever version though, it is a magnificent and chilling film.

sawyer6 11th May 2012 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 240932)
The Nouveaux Pics one? I rented it a few years ago.

It's perfectly watchable, but is non-anamorphic (not too bad with 1.66:1) and the pic is a little fuzzier than the Criterion.

Not a bad transfer by any means, just that the Criterion is better.

What ever version though, it is a magnificent and chilling film.

Yes the Nouveaux one,thanks for the info!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 240889)
Unfortunately, every one of those covers is ruined by the ratings logo.

I know, but I was trying to imagine the artwork without the ratings logo and what it would look like poster sized in a frame!

Stephen@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 240954)
I know, but I was trying to imagine the artwork without the ratings logo and what it would look like poster sized in a frame!

Without that ratings logo, i'd be all over these.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sawyer6 (Post 240901)
What about the one I ordered,the UK one?

If it's the Nouveaux Pictures DVD from 2003, unfortunately it doesn't have an anamorphic picture but, that aside, the image and sound quality are both more than acceptable.

If you haven't seen it before, that's a good start so, when you decide it is a brilliant film (which you should!), I'd have a look for the cheapest Criterion Collection DVD.

sawyer6 11th May 2012 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 240960)
If it's the Nouveaux Pictures DVD from 2003, unfortunately it doesn't have an anamorphic picture but, that aside, the image and sound quality are both more than acceptable.

If you haven't seen it before, that's a good start so, when you decide it is a brilliant film (which you should!), I'd have a look for the cheapest Criterion Collection DVD.

Thanks,I didn't buy the Criterion one ,because I'm not a region 1 type :tongue1:I can't wait for this,I really have high expectations and I know I won't be disappointed!

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 11th May 2012 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 240957)
Without that ratings logo, i'd be all over these.

Ditto!

Daemonia 11th May 2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 234344)
That shriek show 2-discer of just before dawn looks good. It got some flak for being the r-rated theatricle cut but from what i've heard the cut to get the r was a matter of seconds so I wouldent get too worked up over it...

It's more than a few seconds. The R2 release contains 10 minutes not contained in the R1 release. But, strangely, the R2 loses 6 minutes that's seen in the R1. Nevertheless, the fact remains that 10 minutes is missing from the R1. As a consequence just try listening to the commentary that was recorded whilst watching the full uncut version, the commentary goes way out of synch, as you can imagine! :eek: