Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   General Film Discussions (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=563)
-   -   What Have You Bought Recently? (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/general-film-discussions/10681-what-have-you-bought-recently.html)

Daemonia 23rd May 2012 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 244214)
If argent have the uk rights then that's why its region locked. Personally i'd have thought they would be better served negotiating with the BBFC to get it past uncut then sticking it out on blu-ray. Perhaps through the shameless imprint. As it stands all their doing is p*$$*"& of fans.

Agreed. Argent aren't even releasing any BDs, so why intervene? Bit like the shambles that was Vampire Circus. The US gets a region-locked BD, we get a DVD. Yeah, that makes sense...

I'm still hesitant about going multi for Blu, as it seems a safer bet to ensure my collection is UK-friendly. That way, even if my player breaks down, all I have to do is buy another cheap UK player and I know all my discs will still play. I'm still waiting on multi-region players becoming the norm rather than the exception, then it won't be so much of a gamble. I mean, logically speaking, if I bought a Tosh, made it multi-region, then amassed a large collection of RA locked titles, and then a couple years down the road the Tosh breaks down and they no longer make hackable machines. What then?

I know, I'm a prophet of doom. But I prefer a sure thing to a gamble.

ReturnToZero 23rd May 2012 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought Mill of the Stone Women. Hope it's good.

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oaxaca (Post 244252)
Got Island of Lost Souls steelbook in the post today. Very nice surprise and it looks exceptional. I love ordering from Eureka direct :D

Mine arrived today too and it looks great – now to see what the film looks like an HD compared to the Criterion Collection release.

Also, Planet Axel have shipped The Sting BD.

brain dead 23rd May 2012 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 244258)
Agreed. Argent aren't even releasing any BDs, so why intervene? Bit like the shambles that was Vampire Circus. The US gets a region-locked BD, we get a DVD. Yeah, that makes sense...

I'm still hesitant about going multi for Blu, as it seems a safer bet to ensure my collection is UK-friendly. That way, even if my player breaks down, all I have to do is buy another cheap UK player and I know all my discs will still play. I'm still waiting on multi-region players becoming the norm rather than the exception, then it won't be so much of a gamble. I mean, logically speaking, if I bought a Tosh, made it multi-region, then amassed a large collection of RA locked titles, and then a couple years down the road the Tosh breaks down and they no longer make hackable machines. What then?

I'm fortunate in that I have both a multi region standalone blu-ray player (or 2) and an HTPC with an external blu-ray drive connected to my tv so I'm not too worried about being stuck with unwatchable content. But if I didn't have those I'd certainly share your apprehension.

antmumford 23rd May 2012 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 244258)

Or... You could just buy 2 Toshiba BDX1200's as they're only £50 each, that way you'll be futureproofed for many years to come.

g053584398 23rd May 2012 03:34 PM

I can't remember the last time I posted details of my purchases, so the list will probably be a bit longer than usual.

Chronicle of Flemish Film - 11 DVD box set (Royal Belgian Film Archive)
The Saragossa Manuscript - restored edition (Mr Bongo Films)
The Hourglass Sanotorium - restored edition (Mr Bongo Films)
Cannibal Apocalypse (Image Entertainment)
Zeder (20th Century Fox Italy)
The Dead Pit (Special Edition) (Code Red)
Stigma (Code Red)
Stoney/The Killer Lkes Candy (Code Red)
Godfather Squad/Bruce's Last Battle (Code Red)
When Time Began/Encounters from the Unknown (Code Red)
Blade/Ring of Death (Code Red)
Choke Canyon (Code Red)
Death Journey (Code Red)
Sole Survivor (Code Red)
Pets (Code Red)
Beyond the Door (Code Red)
Star of David: Beautiful Girl Hunter (Discotek)
Zero Woman: Red Handcuffs (Discotek)
Bohachi Bushido: Clan of the Forgotten Eight (Discotek)
Alone in the Dark (Image Entertainment)
Maximum Risk (Columbia)
Black Emanuelle's box 1 (Severin)
Black Emanuelle's box 2 (Severin)
Fausto 5.0 (Nucleus)
Linda De Nackten Superhexen (Shock)
Running on Karma (Kam & Ronson)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggenhagen (Post 244237)
Just got my copy of the Criterion release of HOUSE (1977) through on blu - can't wait to check it out, looks mental.

It is completely crazy, but also completely brilliant – you should love it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 23rd May 2012 04:15 PM

Some great pick-ups there, g053584398 :thumb:

The Hourglass Sanatorium is a personal favourite.

keirarts 23rd May 2012 05:04 PM

on my way home from work and stopped in HEROIN GENERATORS....Sorry CASH GENERATORS.

Picked up series 1-3 boxset of the inbetweeners for £7.99

keirarts 23rd May 2012 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just checked out the blue-ray of 36th chamber of shaolin.

Attachment 65907

A slightly blurry look (very minimal) otherwise the best looking old school kung-fu movie I have ever seen. Brilliant colors and lots of detail, pi$$ cheap on axel as well!